Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interesting article on Jason Campbell

SkinsTillIDie

http://www.canada.com/sports/football/story.html?id=a665bd00-32fc-4eac-b5e4-43b81535fbc0

Quarterback Jason Campbell learns new old things at Redskins minicamp

Canadian Press

Friday, April 29, 2005

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) - Nothing changed for quarterback Jason Campbell. Once again he acquainted himself with a new offensive staff. Once again he started poring over a new playbook. And once again he was the main quarterback in camp. Maybe that's why Campbell, the 25th overall selection in last weekend's NFL Draft, felt at home during his first practice with the Washington Redskins.

For him, learning a new offence has become a rite of spring, having gone through four offensive co-ordinators in four seasons at Auburn.

"He won't get shocked by stuff," Redskins coach Joe Gibbs said.

Campbell is one of 53 rookies, including 18 draft picks and undrafted free agents, attending the three-day rookie minicamp. Few, if any, will be scrutinized more closely than Campbell. Not even the ninth overall selection, Carlos Rogers, his teammate at Auburn and a fellow first-round pick.

Quarterback controversies have become a staple in Washington. And, with incumbent starter Patrick Ramsey only 26 years old, another could blossom. Friday was Campbell's first chance to display his talents to his new coaches - and some future teammates.

He showed a solid arm, throwing tight spirals. He applied a nice touch on some deep fades, connecting on one to former Maryland receiver Steve Suter in a one-on-one drill. He also ended with a tired arm - the only other quarterback in camp today, Zack Mills, injured his hamstring early in the workout.

For Campbell, it was mostly about learning the playbook. At Auburn, he was used to plays being referred to by words. Here, they go by numbers. But he said there were similarities in the plays. After learning four offences in college, that's not surprising.

"It's helped me out to learn four different offences and see the differences in each," Campbell said. "I'm still learning so I'm still on the move.

"As a quarterback you have to be willing to learn. That's the most important thing. Once you know everything then you can be yourself, but you can't be yourself until you know the offence. One thing about Coach Gibbs' offence is that it gives you an opportunity as a quarterback to make plays."

Campbell felt like himself this past season at Auburn when he threw for 2,700 yards and 20 touchdowns for the 13-0 Tigers. The skills he displayed during the season were evident on the practice field Friday, even if they didn't wear any pads.

And mostly what the coaches want to see is how quickly players can learn the offence. Gibbs likes to give the rookies a lot of information immediately rather than ease them into the playbook.

"He has a lot on his plate right now," Gibbs said of Campbell. "We were looking to see how he handled it, and I thought he had a good feel for it. He handled the mental aspects well. ... We know he's a real good athlete. Everyone who watched him in college can tell you that. But he's starting over in a new system. It's hard to get players lined up in the right place right now."

The Redskins haven't tinkered with Campbell's mechanics too much, but they are getting him used to how many steps he needs to take on which plays. Quarterbacks coach Bill Musgrave worked with Campbell on looking off defensive backs. Campbell liked all of it.

"There's a lot of excitement," Campbell said. "It's your first NFL practice, your first time being a Washington Redskin and putting that uniform on. It feels great to have this opportunity."

Originally posted by SkinsTillIDie

"It's helped me out to learn four different offences and see the differences in each," Campbell said. "I'm still learning so I'm still on the move.

"As a quarterback you have to be willing to learn. That's the most important thing. Once you know everything then you can be yourself, but you can't be yourself until you know the offence.

This seems to be the kind of attitude we've been missing at Redskins Park for a while.

Not from Ramsey persay, but from many of the other parts.

I was going to post this article as I have an alert set on google for all Washington Redskin's news. I like what I am hearing about Campbell. The thought of him having to devour 4 different OF coordinators since he was at AU has to be a benefit for him as well as us. Now, with Musgrave at the QBing helm it give Campbell as well as the Skins a plus. I think the kid will become a dynamite QB in the NFL! I had my doubts, but after hearing what I have heard about him in recent articales, I think he will lead our team in the very near future (next year) to the promised land, the Super Bowl.

I think Campbell will not play for another two years. I think Ramsey will step it up this year and will be all world in his contract year. Then I see us putting the tag on him and we could very easy get two number one draft picks. Whether we take that or not will depend on how Ramsey leads us in the playoffs/SB if we go that far. Remember Jay? Gave him up for a great LT and the rest in history. If Campbell is showing off in practice and map up games watch for Ramsey to be tag and traded for many draft picks.

I guess they spell "offense" offence in Canada or this paper needs to get an editor.

I really don't see Gibbs playing a rookie QB at all but if he gets some time it will show how little Gibbs likes Ramsey and how bad Brunell really has become.

Archived