Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What If?????!!!?????

Just curious to hear other ESers view on this,

Hypothetically speaking:

IF Arizona had picked Rogers instead of Rolle at #8 and we have Williams and Rolle on the board at #9........who do you think the Redskins would have chosen?

I'm guessing Rogers was #1 on our board with Williams in the top 5.....so would Mike Williams be the guy or someone else?

They would have taken Rolle. Yes, he is from the U, but he is a solid CB and probably the best player on the board at that point. Trading down would not have been a possibility.

Lets just be happy we got the guy we wanted.

Originally posted by Cowboy4ever

You had the chance to take Williams, who I believe will become a superstar. I think the Skins will regret passing on him for years to come.

Only if Rogers is a bust...if Rogers becomes a superstar shut-down corner, there will be zero regret, regardless of how well Mike Williams does. A shut-down corner is more important than a super-star receiver. Just look at Philly as an example. They made it to the NFC championship game 3 years in a row without a superstar receiver, but they did have two very good corners. When they traded for TO, they made it to the next level, but they didn't even have him until the superbowl.

EDIT: I chose 'other' as well, b/c I think they would have traded down at that point and targeted Marlin Jackson or Fabian Washington later in the round.

You had the chance to take Williams, who I believe will become a superstar. I think the Skins will regret passing on him for years to come.

Guess who also passed on MW? His own former college OC. I guess they figured a corner would probably make a bigger impact.

Originally posted by don_carlo

Guess who also passed on MW? His own former college OC. I guess they figured a corner would probably make a bigger impact.

when you lose 2 CBs during the offseason and only have 1 first round pick......its pretty obvious.

what do you think they should've done?

Well, Tennessee had like 11 picks in the draft. If they felt MW was the second coming of Jerry Rice, they could've packaged some of them to get a second tier corner (like we would have if we had not taken a corner at #9). Just my :2cents:

Originally posted by Aluadan

Doesn't matter who they picked, should have taken Williams.

May I ask "Why?" The Skins only activate "FOUR" Wr's on gamedays. Four. If Mike Williams would have been drafted? The Skins would have had "SEVEN" WR's and no replacement for Smoot. That? The Skins would have been paying for for years. Williams is best suited in a "West Coact Offense" ala Detroit. Not a "Vertical" offense that Gibbs wants to employ where speed is more important than a 5 yard reception. Even with a bad toe, Coles is faster and even he averaged only 10.8 per catch. Williams made no sense in the Skins offense. So who would you "DE-" activate to play Williams on gamedays? Certainly not Thrash, Jacobs, or Moss. Thrash and Jacobs excell on Special Teams which is very important to Gibbs. Can anyone make sense of drafting Williams?

Originally posted by Redsk58417

May I ask "Why?" The Skins only activate "FOUR" Wr's on gamedays. Four. If Mike Williams would have been drafted? The Skins would have had "SEVEN" WR's and no replacement for Smoot. That? The Skins would have been paying for for years. Williams is best suited in a "West Coact Offense" ala Detroit. Not a "Vertical" offense that Gibbs wants to employ where speed is more important than a 5 yard reception. Even with a bad toe, Coles is faster and even he averaged only 10.8 per catch. Williams made no sense in the Skins offense. So who would you "DE-" activate to play Williams on gamedays? Certainly not Thrash, Jacobs, or Moss. Thrash and Jacobs excell on Special Teams which is very important to Gibbs. Can anyone make sense of drafting Williams?

I think the argument that people pose for drafting Williams was that he is chock full of potential. But that's really it at this point. Some like to say that he was a can't-miss prospect, but I think he's got a good chance of becoming a bust. Not that he won't produce, I think he'll be a quality possesion receiver for the rest of his career. But I don't think he's going to live up to the superstar status that the proponents of drafting him have envisioned. As far as possesion receivers, we've already got DMac and Cooley; not to mention Gardner, if he stays around. Of course with Gardner you'll only maintain possesion 50% of the time...

Archived