Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

excited about new goaline threats...

FARAPS

I guarantee both of them get a good amount of chances on short yardage situations in the preseason. If one of both of them convert those situations into first downs, then any running back on the roster who isn't named Portis or Betts may be out of a job.

I think it is fair to say these two guys are going to have a better chance than most drafted FBs to make a roster

Originally posted by RustburgSkins

oooooooook lets not get carried away with what kind of ICON i have over by my name....just cause I have not posted 2890774987 messages on this board, doesnt mean I dont know my football.....

pssst. there is a reason for the evident large smile smiley at the end of a post.

don't worry after 2890774988 posts, you'll get the hang of it!

Come on kids - everything at this point is speculation. No one has the crystal ball. We're here to give others our speculative views and read the speculative views of others. What makes this Board different than just about any other board you'll find elsewhere is that we generally try to keep things on a civil and playful level. Let the brilliance of your ideas defeat your opponent.

No on to more important things - MY brilliant ideas about short yardage. I think that much of our problems on the goaline were related to poor schemes and poor execution. At the end of the year we were doing better, but the fact is that our line didn't play well in that type of situation and opponents didn't fear the bootleg or play action and completely stacked the box against the run. A healthy line with better playcalling and better execution and we'll be better. And I suspect we'll give the new guys a look at some point if they look good in preseason and make the team.

Unfortunatly, I was at the Dallas game also. I dont care who corrects the goal line problem, as long as we can get back to smash mouth , run it down your throat , Joe Gibbs football.

That means everyone in the the stadium, including the defense knows were going to run, but CANT STOP IT !!!!

I could see Manuel White getting some playing time, especially if he turns out to be a good blocker.... i mean it couldnt hurt at all to have him blocking for portis... or plugging holes in the O line on passing plays...... but as said before it all depends on how he performs in pre season and such.... im sure gibbs wont just give him the ball immediately.... but i have a feeling we might see some of him on short yardage downs......i hope its effective...

Expecting manny white to be a good blocker is a bit foolish. The guy is going to be a goal line option, and as someone who has watched him play a bit, he's going to make the team and he's going to get a shot on at least one goal line situation this year. I could be wrong, but he's not going to make the team unless he is going to see the field in goal line situations.

He is a VERY good between the tackles runner and has deceptive speed, pretty good acceleration, and a whole lot of toughness.

I fully expect him to contribute this year with at least one touchdown.

secondly i dont know why we cant just get it in the endzone with portis. he did it for denver 31 times in 2 years i dont see why we need a fullback for that. ide keep them for blocking purposes only, although neither of them are great blockers

Originally posted by ryerye05

secondly i dont know why we cant just get it in the endzone with portis. he did it for denver 31 times in 2 years i dont see why we need a fullback for that. ide keep them for blocking purposes only, although neither of them are great blockers

Denver's line has been better than ours in recent years, but hopefully Rabach and a healthy Jon Jansen can fix that.

I think aside from the 2 power backs we picked up getting Rabach and Jansen is going to be the key to our short yardage and goaline success...

To many times on these plays the middle of the line was just destroyed and Portis would get hit before he could get started, w/Rabach there to anchor the line we wont see this as much if at all...W/Jansen back we have the leader of our O-line back to give it it's swagger and mean streak + he will give us more of a push than Ray Brown did last yr...

Originally posted by Park City Skins

No it's not. The guys still have to make the team. They may "seem" to be an answer to that situation, but they still have to go to practice, practice well, catch on, play well, and play well enough to beat out the incumbants if they get that far. Nothing is that simple. We'd like it to be, but it isn't. Like some of the first round picks of the past and present, they could easily bust. So it's fair to say that. Still just too much work to do yet.

Our answer to this situation was on the team last year.. the year before that and the year before that...

His name is

ROCK CARTWRIGHT! :point2sky

Originally posted by Gothtimus

Our answer to this situation was on the team last year.. the year before that and the year before that...

His name is

ROCK CARTWRIGHT! :point2sky

Maybe you're right, but I'd like to believe if the answer were that simple the coaches would have seen it already.

Originally posted by FARAPS

yes we do have portis, betts, and rock, and cooley. but did any one of them prove that they could get short yardage effectively?

Yes.

If I'm not mistaken, Rock is perfect on fourth-and-one, and on third-and-one, for his career. (Granted, his career pretty much consists of '03, since he virtually hasn't touched the ball otherwise. But I keep admiring the number of people who equate lack of attempts with lack of ability.)

(And I think, on x-and-goal, situations, he's scored on every one of them, but some of them took more than one try.)

Originally posted by skin-n-vegas

pssst. there is a reason for the evident large smile smiley at the end of a post.

don't worry after 2890774988 posts, you'll get the hang of it!

Yup, emoticons, helping posters get their points across since 1993.

my personally favorite: :owned: :D

Originally posted by dfitzo53

Denver's line has been better than ours in recent years, but hopefully Rabach and a healthy Jon Jansen can fix that.

Yeah, well, I wish the NFL would do something about their d@mn cutblocking.

Archived