Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

excited about new goaline threats...

FARAPS

I for one am very happy we picked up two potential beast fullbacks to help ram it in and pick up short yardage in goalline situations and on 3rd and shorts. Im from New Jersey and the only game i went to of the redskins last year was the monday night football game against the cowboys, and i had to suffer first hand and watch the redskins get stopped 3 times from 1st and goal and have to settle for a field goal before half, blowing a chance to take the lead. I really beleive that was the biggest play of the game and that if we were able to make that touchdown then we would have one. That game was a heartbreaker to me and im sure nothing like that will happen again with our new FB prospects!

HTTR

:point2sky

Originally posted by FARAPS

why would you say that, thats just stupid.

No it's not. The guys still have to make the team. They may "seem" to be an answer to that situation, but they still have to go to practice, practice well, catch on, play well, and play well enough to beat out the incumbants if they get that far. Nothing is that simple. We'd like it to be, but it isn't. Like some of the first round picks of the past and present, they could easily bust. So it's fair to say that. Still just too much work to do yet.

Originally posted by RustburgSkins

id be shocked to see either one of these players take the field next year

I wouldn't be shocked to see them take the field, but I imagine they'll probably spend their due time on special teams first. Special teams is the proving ground for new recruits. Fullbacks and linebackers, with their combination of speed and size, are ideal for those roles.

do you really think that out of the two FB prospects we drafted that not one of them will even STEP ON THE FIELD next year? that IS stupid. you think bonehead sellers is going to beat both of them out huh? we have no one else who can pound it in for short yardage. maybe your right but i just dont see neither of them playing next year, especially when we arguably took the number 1 and 2 rated FBs in the draft.

Ok...we can play that. No less stupid than declaring 2 guys drafted way down the list and have yet to even practice "answers" for anything much less new threats . They are, at this time, "possibilities. Nothing more. Nothing less. I have no idea if Sellers will beat them out or not, nor did I say so. I can't. Because I haven't seen these guys play. Haven't seen thme workout, haven't talked to coaches and so forth. I simply said that it is too early to tell. There is still way too much to do just to make the team, much less contribute.

okay i see your point but obviously gibbs saw something he liked in them and he wouldnt have drafed two FBs if he wasnt planning on replacing bonehead sellers at the position. it is evident that we needed help in short yardage situations and i beleive we got help with that in the draft. i do recall an expert comparing manny white to najeh davenport and saying that he could really break out in his rookie year with us. not saying that he will, but to say that he or broughton will not even see ONE play let alone make the team...

okay i see your point but obviously gibbs saw something he liked in them and he wouldnt have drafed two FBs if he wasnt planning on replacing bonehead sellers at the position.

I disagree. In our offense the lines between tailback, fullback and tight end get a little blurry sometimes. A lot of people expected us to pick up a tight end, and maybe this is what we did instead.

I agree with you that they'll be used in short yardage situations at some point, but it's premature to say that they're our goalline answer just yet.

On a side note, some people can be jerks on this board, but most aren't. If someone disagrees with you just take it in stride. They didn't mean anything by it, and there's no need to get defensive.

yes we do have portis, betts, and rock, and cooley. but did any one of them prove that they could get short yardage effectively? honestly, how bad were we inside the 5 last year. i dont want another monday night dallas episode where we get stopped 3 times on the 1, and evidently neither does gibbs which is why he went out and got two big backs in the draft.

im not getting defensive, i really do think sellers is a bonehead after watching him commit personal foul after personal foul costing us valuable yards. it has nothign to do with anyone on this board.

I couldn't care less what you say about Sellers, I was speaking more in regard to calling people stupid when they express a legitimate dissenting opinion.

with all due respect i never referred to anyone as stupid, i referred to their comment as stupid. theres a difference in my opinion.

All due respect it's pretty much the same idea. And the same answer. Just because the comment differs from yours, doesn't necessarily make it stupid. Want to be taken a little more seriously, may want to keep that in mind.

hey thanks skin-n-vegas finally someone who doesnt shoot me down everytime i say something!!

:D

Prepare to be shot down again!

I'm just kidding, but I think this helps illustrate what I was trying to express in my previous post. We're not shooting you down when we disagree, we're just disagreeing. To quote someone I met in a message board once, "theres a difference in my opinion." ;)

Anyway, welcome to ExtremeSkins and enjoy your time here.

Originally posted by RustburgSkins

id be shocked to see either one of these players take the field next year

I'm pretty certain Manny White is going to get several touches. Wait and see.

They have plans for him.;)

I for one am very happy we picked up two potential beast fullbacks to help ram it in and pick up short yardage in goalline situations and on 3rd and shorts. Im from New Jersey and the only game i went to of the redskins last year was the monday night football game against the cowboys, and i had to suffer first hand and watch the redskins get stopped 3 times from 1st and goal and have to settle for a field goal before half, blowing a chance to take the lead. I really beleive that was the biggest play of the game and that if we were able to make that touchdown then we would have one. That game was a heartbreaker to me and im sure nothing like that will happen again with our new FB prospects!

HTTR

:point2sky

You were doing ok until the " im sure nothing like that will happen again" part.

hey thanks skin-n-vegas finally someone who doesnt shoot me down everytime i say something!!

:D

Happy Birthday!

I will leave you with some advice for this board though, Even if you didnt mean it as it sounded, you should steer clear of saying things like "stupid".

I understood your intent wasnt maliscious, but it can be read with emotion and taken offensively.

Believe me, I've learned the hard way at times!!!!

welcome aboard!:cheers:

I really don't see why we didn't use Cooley more in the fullback slot. Maybe we did, and I just didn't see it becuase I am an out-of-market fan, but I think Cooley would be more a fit. I understand the picks were made, but I believe Cooley can adapt to the posistion. Anything is better than Sellers, who makes me want to choke myself. He is terrible.

Anyway, Cooley was regarded as an "H-Back" last year, but all I ever saw him do was catch balls in the flat or in the fashion of TE out in goal-line situations. Would it be so bad to bang him in between the tackles on the goal line? Or do I just not fully grasp the concept of an H-Back? :insane:

Originally posted by RypienBoyhoodHero

I really don't see why we didn't use Cooley more in the fullback slot. Maybe we did, and I just didn't see it becuase I am an out-of-market fan, but I think Cooley would be more a fit. I understand the picks were made, but I believe Cooley can adapt to the posistion. Anything is better than Sellers, who makes me want to choke myself. He is terrible.

Anyway, Cooley was regarded as an "H-Back" last year, but all I ever saw him do was catch balls in the flat or in the fashion of TE out in goal-line situations. Would it be so bad to bang him in between the tackles on the goal line? Or do I just not fully grasp the concept of an H-Back? :insane:

I like Cooley, but he'd probably be wasted as a runningback. Running the ball, even just pounding it up the middle, requires a different skill set than that possessed by a college tight end.

Archived