Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxsports.com Draft winners and losers...

jtyler42

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3566524

With the smokescreens all clear, here are my winners and losers from 2005 NFL Draft weekend ...

WINNERS

1. Dallas Cowboys: This was an important draft for the Cowboys and coach Bill Parcells. It looks great on paper and if it pans out on the field, Parcells may finish out his contract and coach in 2006.

In the first round, Demarcus Ware and Marcus Spears were the two defensive players they wanted. Ware was the best pass rusher in the draft whereas Spears, if he loses a few pounds, could be a classic 3-4 end. Dallas surrendered over 400 points last season and Parcells wanted to put an end to that. Tennessee LB Kevin Burnett also fits the 3-4 mold while Minnesota RB Marion Barber has enough slash to complement Julius Jones. They maintained the 3-4 push with Virginia DE Chris Canty, who was a solid producer in college.

If OT Rob Petitti (6-6, 347) of Pitt makes the team then Dallas hit a home run this weekend.

2. Minnesota Vikings: Like the Cowboys, they had two first-round picks and hit on both of them.

Hogwash to those who think Mike Williams is better than South Carolina WR Troy Williamson, who has legit 4.3 speed and is a better route-runner than some think. Wisconsin pass rusher Erasmus James fills another need.

With their free-agency moves, the Vikes might actually have a better defense in the division than the Bears. Wouldn't that be a shocker? Ohio State CB Dustin Fox is a sure tackler and will be a plus on special teams. The only knock on Minnesota is that they started fast and then tailed off in the later rounds.

3. Miami: New coach Nick Saban didn't have many picks, but he made the most of them.

Auburn RB Ronnie Brown was the best of the three runners taken among the top five players in the draft, plus he has great character. Iowa DE Matt Roth had 43 tackles for losses and his motor is always running. Some teams had Roth as a low first-round talent. Florida LB Channing Crowder has a chance to supplant Zach Thomas. Saban also took LSU CB Travis Daniels, who might be a nickel back this season, and in the sixth round didn't miss on Michigan State DT Kevin Vickers.

Considering the limited picks, Saban didn't select one dog.

4. Washington: The Redskins are always getting mauled for lack of imagination and one bonehead decision after another.

But they had a solid first day with physical Auburn CB Carlos Rogers, who was rated by 10 teams to be better than Antrel Rolle. And more than half of the teams had Auburn QB Jason Campbell ahead of Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers. Campbell has the best arm among the quarterbacks. They took two fullbacks, and UCLA's Manuel White should stick on the roster. Stanford OLB Jared Newberry might be a solid nickel linebacker. Made the most of their limited selections.

5. Philadelphia: The Eagles were picking near the bottom of most rounds, but they made the most of their 11 picks.

There is a real good chance that USC DT Mike Patterson, Georgia WR Reggie Brown and San Diego State OLB Matt McCoy could all play significant roles this season on what remains the NFC's best team. Brown will allow Andy Reid to get rid of talkative Freddie Mitchell if he so desires. Patterson will put some heat on Corey Simon and Hollis Thomas inside.

Also, you have to like the offensive linemen — G Scott Young of BYU and Calvin Armstrong of Washington State — that they took in the sixth round. Armstrong is massive at 6-foot-7, 325 pounds and still growing.

Plus, the Eagles think they might have stolen another Bryan Westbrook with Louisiana Tech's Ryan Moats. The Eagles keep winning because of drafts like this one.

LOSERS

Just because Aaron Rodgers slipped down to the Packers, don't think they're looked at as a team that came out of the NFL Draft as a winner. (Mike Roemer / Associated Press)

1. Green Bay: There is no question that new GM Ted Thompson went building for the future with the first-round selection of Cal QB Aaron Rodgers while most competitors thought Bethune-Cookman CB Nick Collins was a reach in the second round. They also took a failed Arena League player in Michael Hawkins of Oklahoma. They saved themselves with solid picks in the sixth round with UCLA WR Craig Bragg and Texas A&M DT Mike Montgomery. Texas A&M WR Terence Murphy was called an underachiever by his coaching staff.

It will be interesting to see how low-key, workaholic Brett Favre and the talkative Rodgers get along in training camp.

2. Seattle: Not too crazy about what the Seahawks did at the top of the draft. They seemed to settle on center Chris Spencer early and traded out of their spot. They could have gotten him later. USC LB Lofa Tatupu was considered a fourth-rounder by some teams, but they took him 45th overall. And Georgia QB David Green won't be pressing Matt Hasselbeck; most teams considered him a system quarterback.

They got a solid special teams player late — Alabama LB Cornelius Wortham — but this was a mish-mash of a draft for a team wanting to go to the playoffs.

3. Detroit: USC WR Mike Williams isn't known as a hard worker and there must be off-the-field problems with former No. 1 pick Charles Rogers for the Lions to be making a move with the receiver for the third consecutive year.

Second-round pick Shaun Cody of USC was off a lot of teams' draft boards because of medical concerns. Third-round pick CB Stanley Wilson picked up the nickname "Toast" in college while Connecticut QB Dan Orlovsky was a reach. Sixth-round DE Jonathan Goddard was a heckuva player at Marshall, but at 6-feet, 220 pounds where do you play this defensive end in the NFL?

4. St. Louis: The Rams aren't even sure they like Florida State OT Alex Barron, considering how much they had their hearts set on drafting Georgia safety Thomas Davis. Barron has been soft and lazy, something he can't be at this level. Stanford third-rounder Oshiomogho Atogwe will be a great special teams' player, but not much more.

Notre Dame TE Jerome Collins and Ball State WR Dante Ridgeway, taken in the 5th and 6th rounds respectively, might end up being the best players taken.

5. New Orleans: The Saints definitely hit on Oklahoma OT Jammal Brown in the first round, but FS Josh Bullocks and ILB Alfred Fincher were reaches. They might be able to redeem themselves if Florida State QB Adrian McPherson, the kid who gambled away his scholarship, blossoms and if Wisconsin DT Jason Jefferson can improve his strength.

They hit a single when they needed at least a triple

[Detroit] third-round pick CB Stanley Wilson picked up the nickname "Toast"...

:laugh:

Gotta love a CB whose nickname is Toast!! I definitely think Detroit really dropped the ball by not taking one of the stud defenders with #10. They might score 28 ppg, if Harrington just plays average, but their D will give up 30.

And I like how someone picked us as a winner. Probably the only national source that will. And this guy didn't even mention McCune who a lot of people are saying was a steal in the 5th.

Plus, the Eagles think they might have stolen another Bryan Westbrook with Louisiana Tech's Ryan Moats. The Eagles keep winning because of drafts like this one.

This is the only one I don't get, if that's the case. They don't need another Westbrook. They need an actual running back, unless this guy will eventually supplant Westbrook. They need another Westbrook-like guy like we need more Safeties.

Nick

Originally posted by riggins44

Why is it every year everyone says Dallas had a great draft. You can tell the media loves the Cowboys. Makes me sick!

What's interesting though is that 2 years ago, they were lauded after taking Newman ("the next Chump Bailey" according to Kiper) who is turning out to be a bust (never take KState players!!). Then last year, they were criticized for trading their 1st instead of taking Kevin Jones. But they ended doing pretty well with Jones, at least when he's healthy. So hopefully these 1st day picks will be like 2 years ago for them and turn out to be duds!

Originally posted by riggins44

Why is it every year everyone says Dallas had a great draft. You can tell the media loves the Cowboys. Makes me sick!

Actually, we got burned really bad last draft, many saying we had the worst draft.

We passed on the 'best' RBs in the draft, drafted a LT in the second round that might not even pan out, 'reached' on guard Peterman from LSU, who was injured and has not played, and totally got burned by taking a TE and useless CBs in the later rounds....

Even now, the only sure things we have are Buffalo's pick that we took Marcus Spears with and Julius. Other than that, the other moves are still questionable.

The draft was solid. I had some questions as to why certain moves were made, but you can't complain about the quality of talent they acquired. Now it's time for the moves to translate into performance. If Gibbs didn't draft a WR it must be because he thinks the WR's on the roster currently will get the job done. Same thing in the reverse for the QB situation. Like it or not Ramsey is the only person who can change Gibbs perception of his skills. He'll need to do that this year with the ball in his hands. Gibbs gave Brunell every chance as the starter to succeed. I expect the same thing with Ramsey this year. If Gibbs’ own QB policy doesn't remain consistent with Ramsey this year, then I have the perfect reason to change my perception of Gibbs. I am a Gibbs faithful and expect to be until he leaves the ranks again. I like the fact that the organization is "organized." We haven't had that for some time now.

Originally posted by SkinsGuy

Too early to pick winners and losers.

We'll see how picks shake out down the road.]

Ok Lets play that game. Everyone how did we do in the 2002 and 2003 drafts? I'm sure the vast majority of us were saying they were good or even great drafts. (Note I thought the 2003 Draft was a good one at the time and defended it. I thought we blew the 2002 draft).

2002 - Looks more like a we'll be on the loser list for that draft. We just drafted Ramsey's replacement and Betts was a major reach in the 2d and hasn't justified his lofty draft status.

2003 - No dispute Redskins are in the loser catagory (Big Loser)for this draft. Our 1st traded for a player that panned out on the field but only for two seasons and is now gone along with our CAP room. 2d pick hasn't shown anything in two seasons.

My point every year there are fans that like and dislike the draft. Seems more often than naught those that have blasted our drafts have been right. I hate the first two picks in this draft (Yes even the Rogers pick I think he'll bust out). I hope and pray I'm wrong.

Originally posted by Ernie5

I think it was a solid B draft. I think it took stones to draft Campbell & he could wind up being one of the stars of this draft. Also McCune was a fabulous pick in the 5th -- he could have gone late 3/early 4.

McCune was definitely the diamond in the rough of our draft

I think many believe that we made the RIGHT move in drafting Rogers over Williams.

The Campbell move is still a tricky issue, but some have mentioned that this means Gibbs will be here for at least the remainder of his contract or longer. Also, some teams did have Campbell higher than Rodgers and even a few higher than Smith.

Good draft, nothing too flashy---I wish we hadn't given up our #1 next year, but overall I think the Skins did a good job (very similar to our offseason-- nothing too flashy).

Archived