Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Campbell conference call.

Art

APRIL 23, 2005

QUARTERBACK JASON CAMPBELL

On if he felt confident that the Redskins were shooting for him:

“I feel really confident in the coaching staff and I feel very comfortable with them. I feel like it is a great place to go, a great place to live and a great place to play in. It doesn’t get any better than playing in Washington D.C.”

On what he feels his opportunity is with Patrick Ramsey and Mark Brunell on the roster already:

“My main thing is that I am going to come in and learn as much as possible as quick as I can, participate in practice, work hard and take everything one step at a time. I feel I can learn a lot from Patrick and especially from Mark Brunell since he has been in the game for a long time. I think I can learn a lot of things under him. I think it is a tremendous opportunity for me to learn from those guys and take everything one step at a time.”

On if he was surprised at the Redskins interest considering they already have a young quarterback on the roster in Patrick Ramsey:

“When they first came around I was surprised. In the National Football League you always have to have two real good quarterbacks just incase one goes down you need to have one that could step in. Mark being in his prime time in his NFL career it is probably a good situation.”

On how many years he feels it will be before he is contributing on the field:

“I can’t put a time limit on it. I just need to continue to work hard and hopefully whenever my opportunity comes I need to make sure I am ready.”

On what the big difference in his play this past season was:

“I feel the difference was our balanced offense. We really spread people around on the field and kept defenses on their heels. It was just the way our offense just clicked together. The unity we had on our offense and the way guys got along with each other and the way we played. We played with a passion and that is what it takes to win games.”

On his teammate Carlos Rogers:

“Carlos Rogers is a tremendous competitor. I think he is a great corner. He is, to be honest with you, probably the bet corner in the draft. He is a guy with tremendous speed and size. He can come up and hit. It is going to be great to have an opportunity to participate with one of my teammates again. Carlos and I were the best of friends ever since we got on Auburns campus together. We know a lot about each other. To have the opportunity to be on the same team is tremendous.”

On if it was frustrating the first couple of seasons to constantly be in a situation where there were a lot of changes:

“I wouldn’t say it was frustrating. You have to be willing to adjust to the change. It is a situation where you know you have no control. Coaches decide there are better places for them or if they get fired you don’t have control over it. You have to be able to roll with the adjustments, be able to roll with the changes and be ready to adjust. That’s how it is in the NFL. You always are learning new schemes and different things. In the NFL there are a lot of adjustments, so I feel it is a positive thing for me to go through that.”

On having to go through all the criticism before this past season:

“As a quarterback you always have to understand to have thick skin. When everything is not going right the first thing people are going to say is that it is the quarterbacks fault. It is the team that wins the games and we lose games as a team also. If we are not clicking offensively, defensively or on special teams at the same time, the only things people see is the quarterback. The quarterback could be doing good things but at the same time his team is not winning. He is considered the leader of the team and that is why he is going to get the blame. It is all about winning. What wins games is everyone together.”

“My main thing is that I am going to come in and learn as much as possible as quick as I can, participate in practice, work hard and take everything one step at a time. I feel I can learn a lot from Patrick and especially from Mark Brunell since he has been in the game for a long time. I think I can learn a lot of things under him. I think it is a tremendous opportunity for me to learn from those guys and take everything one step at a time.”

Clearly Gibbs informed him that Brunell is super-smart.

On how many years he feels it will be before he is contributing on the field:

“I can’t put a time limit on it. I just need to continue to work hard and hopefully whenever my opportunity comes I need to make sure I am ready.”

I like to hear that. No rush. This is a pick for the future.

On his teammate Carlos Rogers:

“Carlos Rogers is a tremendous competitor. I think he is a great corner. He is, to be honest with you, probably the bet corner in the draft. He is a guy with tremendous speed and size. He can come up and hit. It is going to be great to have an opportunity to participate with one of my teammates again. Carlos and I were the best of friends ever since we got on Auburns campus together. We know a lot about each other. To have the opportunity to be on the same team is tremendous.”

We won't have any crazy rookie problems with both of these guys together on the roster. Maybe they can even talk to Sean...

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

He called Patrick, "Mark."

??????????

Where did you get that?

The "prime" comment?

Patrick is NOT in his prime. He is almost like a rookie......having played 7 games in a new system.

I think he was speaking of Mark.

Blondie

Archived