Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gary Horton (ESPN) says Henry will be an Eagle

Skinned

On the live Draftchat, he says he just got off the phone with Arizona and the deal with them appears to be dead. He says the Eagles will probably trade a #3 for him today.

And he said that also means that Arizona will go RB at #8

Originally posted by Westbrook36

I don't know if I'm excited or not. Just making moves doesn't mean they are the right moves. Oh well. I trust Big Red.

Its the right move, unfortunately. You guys have a ton of picks, there's no way they'd all make your roster. You'll make the move for Henry, giving you the big back you need in short yardage. You will then make some noise with the 31 and 34 picks, either combining them to trade up for an impact player, or maybe sending one of them to the Saints for Darren Howard. And you'll still have a bunch of picks left for depth. :( for me, :) for you.

giving you the big back you need in short yardage.

Huh? Since when did Travis Henry become a big back? The guy isn't that big.... and he's normally banged up. John Riggins he isn't.

Travis is going to want a starting spot and he's going to want starter money. What's that do for Brian Westbrook? Does he become the primary 3rd down receiver? I just can't believe he'd like that.

The Eagles could be big players in this draft, and big winners if they play things right.

Update on this situation...

Henry scenario not a dead deal

By LES BOWEN

bowenl@phillynews.com

When the Eagles took Louisiana Tech running back Ryan Moats with the 77th overall selection in the third round of this weekend's draft, the obvious conclusion was they weren't trading for Buffalo running back Travis Henry.

But in wrapping up the draft yesterday evening, Eagles coach Andy Reid cautioned against assuming too much.

"We're probably OK right now,'' Reid said. "We'll see. We haven't completely pulled out of the [Henry] deal. We'll see how that goes here.''

The Birds have been talking about trading for Henry for nearly 2 weeks now; they've been uncharacteristically candid about their interest. Yet, they haven't traded for Henry, which would seem to fuel suspicions that their involvement with Buffalo has a lot to do with trying to get Brian Westbrook to sign a long-term contract at a number they can accept. If the Eagles trade for Henry, who has a year left on his contract, they are said to be ready to sign him to a long-term deal, which would pretty much shut the door on one with Westbrook.

The Eagles have offered Westbrook a 1-year restricted free-agent tender, for $1.43 million. He hasn't signed it.

In Buffalo, general manager Tom Donahoe sounded much like Reid when he addressed reporters, though he didn't mention the Eagles by name.

"We're still optimistic,'' Donahoe said. "We tried hard and it didn't work, but that doesn't mean it won't.''

The Bills had been trying to get a third-round pick for Henry, 26, a two-time 1,000-yard rusher. Donahoe said no one offered them that. Asked if he would take a pick from next April, maybe less than a third-rounder, Donahoe said: "We're willing to discuss anything, but someone has to offer you something, so you can have a conversation.''

Moats (5-8, 210) is a bit like Westbrook, right down to the concerns listed in draft reports about durability, or suitability to become an every-down back in the NFL. Of course, the way the Eagles like to do it, with backs sharing the load and an emphasis on pass-catching, Moats probably won't have to be an every-down back, in the traditional sense.

Archived