Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The smoke screen is working, it'll be Matt Jones 4 positions for one

Matt Jones can fill needs immediately at receiver, tight end, 3rd string quarter back, long snapper not mention kick returner but we need that with Moss, Brown. He would save us 6 million in cap room being able to atleast back two of those positions and create more roster space for other player. Enventually becoming the starting quarter back in three years. Go Gibbs.:gaintsuck

Originally posted by KingdomBankcard

Matt Jones can fill needs immediately at receiver, tight end, 3rd string quarter back, long snapper not mention kick returner but we need that with Moss, Brown. He would save us 6 million in cap room being able to atleast back two of those positions and create more roster space for other player. Enventually becoming the starting quarter back in three years. Go Gibbs.:gaintsuck

I'm actually going to go ahead and agree here. I think they absolutely could be thinking about Matt Jones with 25, and by working out Campbell, they're making teams that would want him trade up to get him, thus removing a team that might otherwise take Jones.

It might not be Jones (I hope it is), but that's definately what I believe is going on, whoever it is they're targeting.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

I would do a dance in my living room if the Skins selected Matt Jones. My god, that would be great!!!!!

Not only would it push a REAL player down to the Eagles at 31 but I could hate the hype machine more than I already do now. :laugh:

Yeah, funny thing is everyone is talking about the Eagles going after Matt Jones too.

Originally posted by KingdomBankcard

I hear that he minces, dices, washes the dishes and can cut through a tomato after cutting open a tin can...

:laugh:

oh man i cant wait till Saturday.

I would do a dance in my living room if the Skins selected Matt Jones. My god, that would be great!!!!!

Not only would it push a REAL player down to the Eagles at 31 but I could hate the hype machine more than I already do now. :laugh:

Whatever, the Eagles are wetting their pants over Matt Jones. Just don't come back in here talking about how you liked the pick if he does go the Eagles after all.

Originally posted by mookie0720

Someone PLEASE explain to me why Matt Jones is a TE?

He has 0 experience blocking, and his previous position was QB

He's got a 40 inch vert and runs a 4.37 40.

Why is he a TE?

Also, someone tell me why he will succeed as a NFL WR for that matter?

Originally posted by mookie0720

Someone PLEASE explain to me why Matt Jones is a TE?

He has 0 experience blocking, and his previous position was QB

He's got a 40 inch vert and runs a 4.37 40.

Why is he a TE?

Yeah, to have Jones bulk up to play TE would seem like a waste of his talent.

Jones has even said as much himself in Mort's previous article (that read like an absolute love letter to Matt Jones, btw).

From the article:

" Some NFL teams have tried to peg him as a tight end or H-back because of his size. Jones has been truthful with NFL teams that have spoken with him. He's reluctant to play tight end.

"You know, it's funny," one AFC head coach told me last week. "We asked [Jones] about putting on some weight and playing tight end, and he made it clear that he thought it was foolish. He said, 'So you want me to put on 20 pounds and be a 4.57 guy instead of a 4.37 guy?' When you put that into context, you have to admit he makes sense. Match up a 6-6 guy who is that fast and athletic with great hands on any corner – even the tall ones – and how do you stop him?"

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=mortensen_chris&id=2025109

Will you be dancing when Jones abuses Lito Shephard in the red zone every time the Skins and eagles play?

;) assuming we draft him

Originally posted by fpickering

Natural athletic ability. Great Hands Good Speed and size. Understands the passing game, and HAS played WR in college as a freshman and some last season on certain plays. Position not completely forgein to him as many like to think.

Originally posted by fpickering

EXACTLY. Being a physical freak doesn't guarantee success.

Anyone remember Rickey Dudley, the TE out of Ohio State? In 1996, he moved up a bunch of spots because he was 6'6", chiseled, and fast. He's been nothing more than an average TE in the NFL.

Another good quote from the Mort piece linked above....

Georgia coach Mark Richt called Jones the most deceptively fast player he had ever seen.

"On any given day, he could be the most dangerous player on the field, " Richt said. "You try to take good angles on the guy, and he's still past you."

Sports Euphemisms 101:

"deceptively fast" = white guy

:laugh:

Originally posted by The Dude

EXACTLY. Being a physical freak doesn't guarantee success.

Anyone remember Rickey Dudley, the TE out of Ohio State? In 1996, he moved up a bunch of spots because he was 6'6", chiseled, and fast. He's been nothing more than an average TE in the NFL.

Dudley had hands of stone, and he always played TE in the NFL

not sure how you can compare the two.

Archived