Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The smoke screen is working, it'll be Matt Jones 4 positions for one

Originally posted by fpickering

Also, someone tell me why he will succeed as a NFL WR for that matter?

Because he is built like a huge NFL WR and has the hands, speed, and ups to be a good NFL WR.

He doesn't have the physicality, the blocking ability, or the bulk to be a TE.

Adding the weight would take away from his athleticism, and that makes no sense.

well, trick plays, we're losing Gardner as our trick play qb, we could use Jones in that role, if he truly can fit all those different positions. I can see this being a good possibility, and wouldnt mind if we take him.

I don't know what this fasination with moving Jones to TE is coming from, as well as the belief that Gibbs loves to throw to TE's?

First off take a good look at Jones's body type he's a lean guy, he's not a player who's going to take on LB's and defensive end's regularly, and that's what Gibbs uses his TE's for blocking, to prove that point back in the 80's the Giant's refused to even cover our TE's because they said they knew Gibbs never throws to them. Further more why would you want to make possibly your fastest reciever a TE? The man is not built to play TE, nor does he want to. Then what would we do with Cooley, Who's best attribute is getting open underneath and a great pair of hands? Cooley is an either or, he is built to play both H-back and TE, we need a big target downfield for Ramsey, he has Cooley for the short stuff.

Originally posted by KingdomBankcard

The speed we would have on offense would be amazing, he's also a great long snapper. Good bye Ethan Albright. Good bye Hassleback, goodbye Fifth receiver and good third tightend.

Yeah, and as soon as long snapper Matt Jones hikes the ball and a 300 lb. nose tackle knocks him on his a$$... it's good bye to Matt Jones too. :laugh:

You can go to three or four receiver sets with Portis, Moss, Patten, Cooley and Jones that would be four receivers with sub 4.4. speed against the traditional defensive alignments of two corner backs without having to substitute a receiver. I wouldn't want to defend that.

That sounds like Spurrier talking. No one could defend it but your QB would be killed.

:point2sky

Originally posted by mookie0720

Someone PLEASE explain to me why Matt Jones is a TE?

He has 0 experience blocking, and his previous position was QB

He's got a 40 inch vert and runs a 4.37 40.

Why is he a TE?

He's not a TE. He's a wide receiver and I immediately thought he was the target as soon as I heard about this trade.

Matt Jones can fill needs immediately at receiver, tight end, 3rd string quarter back, long snapper not mention kick returner but we need that with Moss, Brown. He would save us 6 million in cap room being able to atleast back two of those positions and create more roster space for other player. Enventually becoming the starting quarter back in three years. Go Gibbs.:gaintsuck

great:mad:

another kordell stewart

except white:D and really fast :cool:

how did that go?

Originally posted by Johnny Punani

because he is 6'6 and weighs 242lbs

But isn't the Gibbs TE supposed to basically just be an extra offensive tackle? I'm as much on the Matt Jones bandwagon as anybody but he's not exactly a Chris Samuels when it comes to blocking, and 4.39 speed for someone who's primarily a blocker is just a waste of that speed. And if you're thinking H-back rather than TE, we have an excellent one already.

Dont' get me wrong, I want us to get Jones badly, but I want him as a WR and only a WR(and maybe emergency QB)

The NFL is all about match-ups.

Any OLBs or ILBs who could cover a player like Jones?

The only question is his change of direction speed in games and how well he will adapt to the new position. Thats the gamble with drafting a Matt Jones.

Is he worth it? I have no idea but it would be fun to see him try in a Redskins uniform.

Archived