Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Forget Campbell.... Skins real draft strategy... Maybe

bubba9497

Originally posted by illone

Inmate,

Did you listen to what Vinny said in the presser today?

He specifically made mention of the fact that teams use the media to increase the "value" of a draft pick.

Don't you see the Skins are doing that here?

We will NOT be drafting a QB. End of story. Like Vinny said, the Skins are using the media to increase the interest in that pick so hopefully teams will pick up the phone on Saturday. The team is SO brilliant in fact that they have all of us skins fans (well, some of us:laugh: ) thinking that we actually might draft a QB.

I don't care what Vinny said. He better draft an all-world player if he gave up a 1st, 3rd and 4th round pick to get him.

So who do you think is worth a 1st, 3rd and 4th round pick in the draft? :rolleyes:

If you are going to give up that much for one player, he had better be an all-pro, and Cooley is not that -- at least not yet.

Well, no one drafted is going to be an all-pro, because they haven't played an NFL game yet. :D

The point is, we got ourselves into a position where we can make some deals, and pick up some players that can fill some holes. If the guy we pick up here helps us win 2-3 games, then it is definitly worth it.

But what if Ramsey doesn't progress or plays poorly like he did last preseason?

Probably, Gibbs would look for answers in free agency. There certainly will be some quarterbacks available next year (Brees/Rivers, David Garrard comes to mind.)

Not to mention that Gibbs also seems to like LeFors as well.

Jason

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

I don't care what Vinny said. He better draft an all-world player if he gave up a 1st, 3rd and 4th round pick to get him.

So who do you think is worth a 1st, 3rd and 4th round pick in the draft? :rolleyes:

I think there are a few players that "might" be worth what we paid but this is more about position and opportunity than anything else.

We now have more of an opportunity in this draft than any other team. Two first round picks is HUGE.

Look at what this trade did to the draft board:laugh:

Every GM in the NFL is trying to figure out what we are doing and I'm sure some of them are falling for the "Campbell" bait, just lke you are.

So what if we don't get a world beater by your standards?

The point is we have an opportunity to really make some moves on Saturday. Time will only tell if those moves make any sense.

For me it will boil down to winning and losing. If we win some games next year and become contenders within the next couple seasons this won't matter in the least.

If three seasons down the road the team is still in it's perpetual "rebuild" then I will question the move as being suspect.

For right now I think it gives us a great opportunity to rebuild faster.

OR.........The Bucs want The Cadillac AND would like to have Rod Gardner. The Skins really want Mike Williams. To make sure everyone's dreams come true, the Bucs draft Big Mike which should allow The Cadillac to fall to #9. The Skins then draft Caddy and ship him and Gardner to Gruden for Big Mike.

Of course this doesn't explain #25 but doing that gives me more of a headache than playing with #9. :D

Originally posted by Jimbo

OR.........The Bucs want The Cadillac AND would like to have Rod Gardner. The Skins really want Mike Williams. To make sure everyone's dreams come true, the Bucs draft Big Mike which should allow The Cadillac to fall to #9. The Skins then draft Caddy and ship him and Gardner to Gruden for Big Mike.

Of course this doesn't explain #25 but doing that gives me more of a headache than playing with #9. :D

wouldn't it just be easier for the bucs to draft Cadillac @ #5?

The way I see it, the Skins have serious interest in 2 positions.

I don't know about that assumption. I honestly think they have serious interest at defensive end as well.

I have a suspicion that Merriman is a serious target at #9. Why? Because they haven't talked about him one iota, but they've visited with him on more than one occasion and were at his campus workout. We've heard Skins coaches talk about their needs at CB and WR. I think they like several players at those positions, but Merriman is the only DE they've shown much interest in. By not playing up their interest, they reduce the chance of a team like Dallas, Houston, or San Diego jumping up ahead of them in the draft.

One possible strategy is to draft Merriman at #9, then try and trade down from the #25 slot and get a couple more 1st day picks. It's very possible because teams at the bottom of the draft order frequently get ansy about a player they like and trade up a few spots--like when New England traded up from the 32nd spot for the Skins' 21st pick in 2002. Plus, Oakland is a team that no longer has a 1st rounder, but they have two 2nd round picks and two 3rd round picks to swing a deal with.

If the Skins trade down from #25, they can still address CB and WR with first day picks, which happen to be pretty deep positions in this draft. A 2nd or 3rd rounder at those positions could end up being starters at some point.

Just another possible scenario.

Originally posted by GURU

I don't know about that assumption. I honestly think they have serious interest at defensive end as well.

I mention DE as #3 choice :)

Originally posted by GURU

I have a suspicion that Merriman is a serious target at #9. Why? Because they haven't talked about him one iota,

we all knew last year at this point it was between ST & KWII, I don't think the Skins are that seretive ;)

The day Gibbs spends a #25 pick on a Rookie QB, especially when he already has a #32 pick starting QB he's committed to, I will become a Boy's fan. But that just ain't gonna happen.

We are going to get:

Williams if he falls at #9 (not likely).

Merriman at #9 if Williams or Edwards are gone.

(I don't see us taking Carlos Rogers at #9 and he would be my pick in the first round for a CB).

I do not anticipate moving up at all but if we do it will be for Williams or Edwards only...Franchise WR's.

At #25 we do not pick...we trade for a player, likely a CB but may use the pick if Carlos Rogers is still available and no trades develop. Or if Merriman went at #9 then we draft Williamson or Jones if still there.

Archived