Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Forget Campbell.... Skins real draft strategy... Maybe

bubba9497

Forget Campbell, anyone with a lick of common sense knows Joe Gibbs is not going to draft Campbell, and depend on a "rookie" QB. The team is making too many positive of strides to take a huge step backward with a rookie QB. Besides.. Ramsey is the guy.

The way I see it, the Skins have serious interest in 2 positions.. CB and WR (why bring in all those CB & WR if you are looking at a QB?). They also have an serious interest in DE, but it is the third choice. Of these positions Gibbs is interested in about 4 players, maybe 5.

He is planning not to have the same problem as last season, trying to decide between offense and defense.

I believe Gibbs first choice is Mike Williams. However he is anticipating Williams being gone by #9.

If Williams is available, The #25 pick will be for a DE (James, Pollack, or Spears), because the CB's he wants will probably be gone.

If Williams is gone at #9 then He will choose between two CB if available, 1st Pacman Jones, 2nd choice is Rolle. He may draft Carlos Rodgers... but may first do a trade down if the other two are gone. With the #25 pick he will go WR. I think Williamson, Jones, and Clayton. My feeling is he wants Matt Jones. Of all the players the Skins scouted, they only scouted one player at the combines, pro-day, and invite... Matt Jones. The Skinny is the Steelers & Eagles both are interested in Jones at the end of the first round. #25 is high enough to beat them to the punch, but not quite too low a pick for Jones to be gone. Jones like Williams offers something that the other WR available, and the WR we already have don't... Size. Both give him and option of the big WR (Monk) to go across the middle, and in the red zone to take advantage of smaller CB's.

And those worried about giving up so many picks, Don't!.... Why ? Quality. Gibbs wants quality players over quantity of picks.We have a pretty full roster already, not many openings...Why get a lot of players who might not make the team, when you can get better choices with fewer picks.

I THINK HE WILL MAKE A GREAT ADDITION

Prospect Profiles

Matt Jones

Position: Wide Receiver/Quarterback

College: Arkansas

Height: 6-6

Weight: 242

Hometown: Fort Smith, Ark.

Analysis | Injury Report | Agility | High School | Personal

OVERVIEW

One of the most gifted athletes to ever come out of the college ranks, Jones is going to be a "pleasant problem" for an NFL team, as his stellar performance during Senior Bowl week has teams wondering what is his true pro position. Arkansas was faced with the same dilemma when Jones enrolled at the school. In addition to his outstanding size, strength and quickness, he has the ability to play equally well in any task he is given.

While Jones thrilled Razorback football fans the last four years with his impressive play, he also played basketball for Arkansas. Continuing to impress at every turn, Jones also excelled in the classroom, earning Academic Honor Roll accolades during his time at Arkansas.

Jones was an All-Arkansas and all-state quarterback at Northside (Fort Smith, Ark.) High School. He completed 62 of 137 passes for 830 yards and seven touchdowns as a senior and earned 939 yards and 13 touchdowns on 105 rushing attempts. He was ranked in the top five in the state in punt returns. Jones spent the first three years of his prep career at Van Buren (Ark.) High School. He split time as a junior between quarterback and wide receiver, earning 520 yards and five touchdowns on 22 catches. He was a finalist for McDonald's All-America honors in basketball. As a junior in basketball, he broke former Arkansas All-America basketball player Corliss Williamson's conference record for season scoring average (24.5 points per game).

Despite sitting out the first three games of his freshman campaign, he turned in one of the most prolific first-year campaigns in Arkansas history in 2001. He split time with Zak Clark at quarterback, gaining 592 yards with five touchdowns on 74 carries (8.0 average) in eight regular-season games. He completed 12 of 27 passes (44.4 percent) for 275 yards and four touchdowns and also caught two passes for 21 yards.

In 2002, he started every game, lining up at quarterback for 13 contests and vs. Auburn at wide receiver. Jones completed 122 of 234 passes for 1,592 yards (52.1 percent) and 16 touchdowns. He also carried 129 times for 614 yards (4.8 average) and five scores and also had a 25-yard reception. The following season, Jones set school season and career rushing records for quarterback, totaling 633 yards with eight touchdowns on 89 carries (7.1 average). He hit on 132 of 230 passes (57.4 percent) for 1,917 yards, 18 touchdowns and only seven interceptions while also catching a 12-yard pass.

An All-America selection as an all-purpose back by The NFL Draft Report, Jones was also afforded All-Southeastern Conference second-team honors as a quarterback by the league's coaches. Despite the team's struggles, he completed 151 of 264 passes (57.2 percent) for a career-high 2,073 yards and 15 touchdowns. Jones rushed 83 times for 622 yards (7.5 average) and six scores.

For his career, Jones completed 417 of 755 passes (55.2 percent) for 5,857 yards, 53 touchdowns and 30 interceptions. Only Clint Stoerner (57 scores, 7,422 yards, 1996-99) had more touchdown passes and more yards throwing in school history. His 55.2 pass completion percentage was good for fifth on the school's career-record list while his 417 completions of 755 attempts both rank third in Arkansas annals.

Jones gained 8,392 yards in total offense and was responsible for 77 touchdowns, shattering the previous Razorbacks all-time records of 7,049 yards and 62 scores by Stoerner. His total offense yards per play average of 7.38 yards rank second in Southeastern Conference history, surpassed only by Florida's Danny Wuerffel (7.75, 1993-96).

Jones carried the ball 382 times for 2,535 yards (6.6 average) and 24 touchdowns, topping the old SEC career record of 2,280 yards on the ground by John Bond of Mississippi State (1980-83). His 2,535 yards rank sixth among all players on Arkansas' all-time list and his 24 scores rank seventh.

ANALYSIS

Quarterback Analysis

Positives: Has a remarkable frame for a quarterback, with excellent height, broad shoulders, thick thighs, good bubble, solid muscle tone throughout, tight waist and hips … Smooth and rangy athlete who has very good playing speed for his size … As a quarterback, he is best when operating as a broken-field runner, as he has the ability to make things happen with his legs … More of a drop-back passer who can throw on the run … Has excellent scramble ability to sidestep and take the ball up field to get positive yards … Glides back from the center and is quick to set up … Stands tall in the pocket, but also has the agility to roll out … Calm under pressure and has total control of the team in the huddle … Must be accounted for at all times because he is an above-average running threat.

Negatives: Has a long delivery that varies from throw-to-throw … Has a nice throwing motion, but does not always set his feet, which causes most of his balls to sail high or behind the receiver … Better on short area and intermediate tosses, as he cannot control his deep throws and they lack zip … Needs to scan the field better because he will run when the pressure comes … Has questionable arm strength, as his throws tend to hang in the air … Has questionable instincts as a passer, too often throwing the ball up for grabs … His timing is too erratic and receivers have to constantly adjust to all of his throws … Does not show a good feel for the pass rush … Lacks good anticipation skills, waiting until the receiver gets open before unleashing the ball … Will give you all of his effort, but it is no secret that he prefers basketball over football.

Wide Receiver Analysis (Based on Senior Bowl Week)

Positives: Explodes off the snap, using his strong hands to deliver a jolt on the defender to escape press coverage … Moves fluidly towards the ball, dropping his weight to gain more acceleration out of his breaks … Adjusts well in the open to man coverage and generally will get to the soft spot in the zone … Has great sideline awareness and can shift gears to elude defenders in the open … Excels at making over-the-shoulder adjustments to get to the ball … Uses his frame to screen defenders and delivers a jolting hand punch to deliver aggressive blocks upfield … Always looks upfield to gain more yardage after the catch.

Negatives: Will need some route refinement, as he rounds his cuts a bit … Might struggle a bit to redirect and make adjustments to the ball in flight due to some hip stiffness … Has good speed, but did not show the second gear needed to be considered a deep threat … Must learn route technique and how to generate double moves when working in zone coverage.

INJURY REPORT

2002: Bothered by right knee fibular head instability during August camp.

2003: Underwent an arthoscopic procedure (micro instability) on his right shoulder.

AGILITY

4.37 in the 40-yard dash … 2.49 20-yard dash … 1.50 10-yard dash … 39½-inch vertical jump … 10-foot-3 broad jump … 33 1/8-inch arm length … 9½-inch hands … Right-handed.

HIGH SCHOOL

Attended Northside (Fort Smith, Ark.) High School as a senior … All-Arkansas and All-State quarterback who completed 62 of 137 passes for 830 yards and seven touchdowns as a senior and gained 939 yards and 13 touchdowns on 105 rushing attempts … Ranked in the top five in the state in punt returns … Spent the first three years of his prep career at Van Buren (Ark.) High School … Split time as a junior between quarterback and wide receiver, earning 520 yards and five touchdowns on 22 catches … Finalist for McDonald's All-America honors in basketball … As a junior in basketball, he broke former UA All-American basketball player Corliss Williamson's conference record for season scoring average (24.5 points per game).

PERSONAL

Enrolled in the College of Education and Health Professions, majoring in Middle School Education … Member of the 2002 and 2003 SEC Academic Honor Rolls … Also was a member of the 2001-02 and 2002-03 Lon Farrell Academic Honor Rolls … Son of Steve and Paula Jones … Father played football at Ouachita Baptist University … Born April 22, 1983 … Resides in Fort Smith, Ark.

It's ****ing obvious that we are not drafting Jason Campbell and all these damn sports radio shows laughing at us is really pissing me off.

We have no #1 WR and that hurts. Moss is a great #2 and he will not get paid by us like a #1.

I know Gibbs has a plan to address our needs.

Ilike Bubba's analysis and concur with this thought.

I've been very intrigued by Jones as a hybrid option that could be just the shot in the a$$ this team needs.

To he!! with the traditional take on players and drafting, it's time to make a new model for others to follow.

New England and Pittsburg both have shown that new approaches and occasional risk can work.

I can see the work of some (parden the cliche) "out of the box" thinking happening by the offensive guru's that are on our staff.

Originally posted by bubba9497

...If Williams is available, The #25 pick will be for a DE (James, Pollack, or Spears), because the CB's he wants will probably be gone...

I like the DE angle. I think a pass rushing end is a bigger need than either WR or CB...but that's just me.

f Williams is gone at #9 then He will choose between two CB if available, 1st Pacman Jones, 2nd choice is Rolle. He may draft Carlos Rodgers... but may first do a trade down if the other two are gone.

I agree that if Mike Williams is there, we should take him.

But, I hope our corners are not rated like that. Carlos Rogers is the best corner in this draft followed by Pacman IMO. I will actually be surpised if Rogers is there for us at the 9th pick.

In regards to drafting Matt Jones at 25...I just have a hard time believing we would give up so many draft picks to draft a player who until the Senior Bowl hadn't played WR full time. Matt Jones, while he is impressive physically and Id love to have him on the Redskins, is very raw at the WR postition. I can't see us taking some so 'high risk/ high reward' after this big trade.

Forget Campbell, anyone with a lick of common sense knows Joe Gibbs is not going to draft Campbell, and depend on a "rookie" QB. The team is making too many positive of strides to take a huge step backward with a rookie QB. Besides.. Ramsey is the guy.

The way I see it, the Skins have serious interest in 2 positions.. CB and WR (why bring in all those CB & WR if you are looking at a QB?). They also have an serious interest in DE, but it is the third choice. Of these positions Gibbs is interested in about 4 players, maybe 5.

He is planning not to have the same problem as last season, trying to decide between offense and defense.

I believe Gibbs first choice is Mike Williams. However he is anticipating Williams being gone by #9.

If Williams is available, The #25 pick will be for a DE (James, Pollack, or Spears), because the CB's he wants will probably be gone.

If Williams is gone at #9 then He will choose between two CB if available, 1st Pacman Jones, 2nd choice is Rolle. He may draft Carlos Rodgers... but may first do a trade down if the other two are gone. With the #25 pick he will go WR. I think Williamson, Jones, and Clayton. My feeling is he wants Matt Jones. Of all the players the Skins scouted, they only scouted one player at the combines, pro-day, and invite... Matt Jones. The Skinny is the Steelers & Eagles both are interested in Jones at the end of the first round. #25 is high enough to beat them to the punch, but not quite too low a pick for Jones to be gone. Jones like Williams offers something that the other WR available, and the WR we already have don't... Size. Both give him and option of the big WR (Monk) to go across the middle, and in the red zone to take advantage of smaller CB's.

And those worried about giving up so many picks, Don't!.... Why ? Quality. Gibbs wants quality players over quantity of picks.We have a pretty full roster already, not many openings...Why get a lot of players who might not make the team, when you can get better choices with fewer picks.

Bubba, your strategy is perfect!... if you were Joe Gibbs.... which you are not. No offense, but I think thread this is more about "what would Bubba do?" than "what would Gibbs do?" Your post does make a lot of sense, but how do we have any idea that Gibbs is thinking the same thing?

Not sure how I feel about Jones yet however he does offer another interesting possibility. Remember when we used to only carry 2 QB's on the roster and Brian Mitchell was the third one? Jones might be that same sort of thing.

Although I don't know what advantage that would give us with today's rules allowing you to dress an emergency third QB who does not count against your gameday roster total.

I like this strategy more:

We head into the draft in need of depth at CB(but a better started would be nice), WR, and a pass rusher. So, I would use our two 1st rd picks like this:

At #9, assuming Williams does not fall, the pick is Shawn Merriman. Instantly provides us that little extra something on the pass rush. Just imagine him, Lavar and Washington coming off the edge at the same time. *salivating*

Now, as far as #25, we've all know that Buffalo really wants to get into the 1st rd, and is trying to use Travis Henry ty do it. We've all also heard the rumors that the Skins were looking to trade for Philip Buchanon(who is now a Texan) and there was another one floating around about us looking to trade for Nate Clements.

Gregg Williams, as his old coach, loves Clements and his 6'0, 210 pd frame. The Bills want to get something in return for him instead of just letting him go in FA next year. Buffalo also is very thin at WR after Eric Moulds and Lee Evans, and Moulds is getting up in years.

So, we trade the #25 over all and Rod Gardner to Buffalo for Nate Clements and their 2nd rd pick. With their 2nd rd pick we select from w/e remains of a very deep WR class.

And just like that, we have three new starters at our most critical need positions. However, all of this would be predicated on three things: Williams doesnt fall to #9, the Bills dont get that 1st rd pick using Henry, and most importantly, the world is a perfect place.

Originally posted by Beaudry

Bubba, your strategy is perfect!... if you were Joe Gibbs.... which you are not. No offense, but I think thread this is more about "what would Bubba do?" than "what would Gibbs do?" Your post does make a lot of sense, but how do we have any idea that Gibbs is thinking the same thing?

:no: nope, not what I would do, while I am a big Jones fan.... I think the Skins would take Williamson if available before Jones @ 25. And I wouldn't target a CB until later rounds. But I digress ;)

While I don't know what is really going on at Redskin Park, I am looking at the overall "big picture" and looking at recent history, things done and said since the combines, look at Gibbs history, and patterns, team needs etc... and devised something of a reasonable draft plan. Will it happen :whoknows: But I think it makes as much (if not more) sense than what some others who get paid to guess... have come up with :D

:no: nope, not what I would do, while I am a big Jones fan.... I think the Skins would take Williamson if available before Jones @ 25. And I wouldn't target a CB until later rounds. But I digress ;)

While I don't know what is really going on at Redskin Park, I am looking at the overall "big picture" and looking at recent history, things done and said since the combines, look at Gibbs history, and patterns, team needs etc... and devised something of a reasonable draft plan. Will it happen :whoknows: But I think it makes as much (if not more) sense than what some others who get paid to guess... have come up with :D

You mean you don't get paid for this?!? We need you to speak to Rosenhaus...he can get you a better deal!

:D

1 - Forget Campbell, anyone with a lick of common sense knows Joe Gibbs is not going to draft Campbell, and depend on a "rookie" QB. The team is making too many positive of strides to take a huge step backward with a rookie QB. Besides.. Ramsey is the guy.

2 - My feeling is he wants Matt Jones. Of all the players the Skins scouted, they only scouted one player at the combines, pro-day, and invite... Matt Jones. The Skinny is the Steelers & Eagles both are interested in Jones at the end of the first round. #25 is high enough to beat them to the punch, but not quite too low a pick for Jones to be gone.

3 - And those worried about giving up so many picks, Don't!.... Why ? Quality. Gibbs wants quality players over quantity of picks. We have a pretty full roster already, not many openings...Why get a lot of players who might not make the team, when you can get better choices with fewer picks.

I agree with some of what you are saying, but not your analysis.

1 - First of all I think we will draft Jason Campbell unless some team ahead of us drafts him. Drafting Campbell is not a step backwards, but insurance in case Ramsey doesn't pan out in 2005.

2 - I agree with you that the Skins probably want Matt Jones here, if Mike Williams and Jason Campbell are off the board. And although I think Matt Jones will be a very good player and a 2nd option, I still think we will have overpaid for him if he costs us a 1st, 3rd and 4th round pick.

Worst case scenario is what if we don't get Matt Jones and wind up having to draft Joe Blow -- for which we gave up a 1st, 3rd and 4th round pick. :doh:

3 - Don't worry about throwing away so many picks? Hey you are talking like this is a 12-4 team. The Skins were 6-10 last year... we need every pick we can get. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

I agree with some of what you are saying, but not your analysis.

1 - First of all I think we will draft Jason Campbell unless some team ahead of us drafts him. Drafting Campbell is not a step backwards, but insurance in case Ramsey doesn't pan out in 2005.

2 - I agree with you that the Skins probably want Matt Jones here, if Mike Williams and Jason Campbell are off the board. And although I think Matt Jones will be a very good player and a 2nd option, I still think we will have overpaid for him if he costs us a 1st, 3rd and 4th round pick.

3 - Don't worry about throwing away so many picks? Hey you are talking like this is a 12-4 team. The Skins were 6-10 last year... we need every pick we can get. :rolleyes:

Campbell had a very good season last year... but only because he had a great team around him. I have watched him play many times... and he is avgerage at best. Besides what in Gibbs history says he would even consider a rookie QB? Gibbs like to groom young QB for years, or get a veteran. Taking Cambell is a huge waste of a #1 to sit for 2 or 3 years to groom. Ramsey has shown more than Campbell... and Gibbs said flat out Ramsey is his guy to take the Skins to the promise land..... 'nuff said.

Gibbs again values quailty over quanity... and giving up draft picks to get what he wants is nothing new or surprising for him.

1- Campbell had a very good season last year... but only because he had a great team around him. I have watched him play many times... and he is average at best.

2 - Besides what in Gibbs history says he would even consider a rookie QB? Gibbs like to groom young QB for years, or get a veteran. Taking Cambell is a huge waste of a #1 to sit for 2 or 3 years to groom. Ramsey has shown more than Campbell... and Gibbs said flat out Ramsey is his guy to take the Skins to the promise land..... 'nuff said.

3- Gibbs again values quailty over quanity... and giving up draft picks to get what he wants is nothing new or surprising for him.

1 - Campbell's stats certainly don't indicate he's average. But neither one of us are scouts, so I'll let that ride.

2 - The Skins drafted Jay Schroeder in the 3rd round under Gibbs. And I never said Campbell would start this year. But what if Ramsey doesn't progress or plays poorly like he did last preseason? Campbell is backup insurance for 2006, in case Ramsey does not progress IMHO. Remember that Ramsey was not drafted by this current Redskins coaching staff and they may not be as enamored with him as we at Extremeskins.

3- Giving up draft picks for VETERAN players is nothing new to Gibbs, but giving up three high draft picks for one ROOKIE player would be stupid, unless it is a franchise QB.

And for some of these other posters who think the Skins can get Nate Clements for the #25 pick......... forget it. The Bills are not going to trade a 25 year old, all-pro CB for that. They would want at least our #9 pick.

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

1 - Campbell's stats certainly don't indicate he's average. But neither one of us are scouts, so I'll let that ride.

2 - The Skins drafted Jay Schroeder in the 3rd round under Gibbs. And I never said Campbell would start this year. But what is Ramsey doesn't progress or plays poorly like he did last preseason? Campbell is backup insurance for 2006, in case Ramsey does not progress IMHO. Remember that Ramsey was not drafted by this current Redskins coaching staff and they may not be as enamored with him as we at Extremeskins.

3- Giving up draft picks for VETERAN players is nothing new to Gibbs, but giving up three high draft picks for a single ROOKIE player would be stupid, unless it is a franchise QB.

1. Whatever... the guy is average :D

2. and Jay Schroeder was a catcher at UCLA... point Gibbs takes risk on athletes he thinks can contribute.

3. That is hog wash, if he feels he can get a starter, or a player who will be a Redskin for years to come he will pay for him. Value is in the eyes of the buyer. Gibbs has traded away future picks for "lesser value" draft picks before... just last season giving up as high #2 to draft Cooley in the mid third rd. how did that work out so far? ;)

That is hog wash, if he feels he can get a starter, or a player who will be a Redskin for years to come he will pay for him. Value is in the eyes of the buyer. Gibbs has traded away future picks for "lesser value" draft picks before... just last season giving up as high #2 to draft Cooley in the mid third rd. how did that work out so far? ;)

Hogwash? :laugh: You ole carpetbagger, you. ;)

Trading a 2nd for a 3rd round pick for Cooley worked out to be a good trade, I agree.

But that is not the same as giving up a 1st, 3rd and 4th round pick for one player. I wouldn't have liked it if we had given up a 1st, 3rd and 4th round pick for Cooley -- because we would have overpaid -- and I don't think most people on Extremeskins would have liked it either. If you are going to give up that much for one player, he had better be an all-pro, and Cooley is not that -- at least not yet.

You wait and see. Fans are going to be pissed if we wind up with Joe Blow at the #25 pick. Whereas at least with a franchise QB you will have to wait 2 years or so, to see if it pans out or not.

Anyways, I guess we will find out who is right in a couple of days. :)

Inmate,

Did you listen to what Vinny said in the presser today?

He specifically made mention of the fact that teams use the media to increase the "value" of a draft pick.

Don't you see the Skins are doing that here?

We will NOT be drafting a QB. End of story. Like Vinny said, the Skins are using the media to increase the interest in that pick so hopefully teams will pick up the phone on Saturday. The team is SO brilliant in fact that they have all of us skins fans (well, some of us:laugh: ) thinking that we actually might draft a QB.

Archived