Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FoxSports:Money Talks

vegeta613

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3487378

3487484_18_1.jpg

KAPALUA, Maui - This was a tough assignment, spending a few days here under blue skies and perfect Hawaiian weather. But not much happened at the annual NFL owners' meeting, although commissioner Paul Tagliabue did begin the revenue presentation to the member clubs, preparing them for the final number each team must ante up to the players in order to extend the collective bargaining agreement.

Even before the meetings ended Wednesday, club personnel and some owners were seen leaving the Ritz-Carlton in order to get back home and tend to personal business. New England's Scott Pioli, who won his second straight Executive of the Year award, was caught checking out early.

"I hear I might be going back to 16 inches of snow," said Pioli, the Patriots' top personnel man. "But I have a draft to prepare for; I have a lot of work to do and only a few more weeks to get ready."

Scouting players is a priority to people like Pioli. Even new Miami coach Nick Saban said he'd rather be on the road conducting interviews or checking out prospects, but felt obligated as a new coach to attend these meetings. San Francisco coach Mike Nolan, who owns the first overall draft choice, was here, but the 49ers new personnel executive Scot McCloughan wasn't; he remained on the mainland working on his first draft.

Tagliabue termed negotiations with the NFL Players Association at a "dead-end" at these meetings, which got the necessary headlines, but basically he wanted to grab the attention of his owners, especially the more fortunate ones.

There are four NFL franchises generating revenue above $200 million annually, while the average club produces about $150 million. The high-end teams like the Redskins and Patriots, who do have debt service on their new stadiums and purchase prices, aren't thrilled with the prospect of sharing these extra revenues to help their less fortunate members in order to reach a negotiated deal with the players.

"We have to get our own house in order before we seriously go back to the table with the players," said one owner. "There is a disparity of revenue in the league right now and Paul was educating everyone on what has to be done to make it work."

There are going to be holdouts on this issue. The Redskins' Daniel Snyder doesn't want to help the lesser teams, nor does Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. Houston's Bob McNair has a big debt service to pay for his stadium and franchise fee. But they are an isolated group and the NFL believes it can eventually reach a plan agreeable to more than 24 owners, the number needed to pass a revenue-sharing agreement. You see, there aren't nine rich owners to kill a potential deal.

Tagliabue wants to extend the current contract because he wants to avoid an uncapped season in 2007. Typically, the league extends the CBA whenever all of the television contracts have been finalized. But the Monday night and Sunday night extensions aren't finalized, and might not be until October.

Originally posted by AKM311

The problem would be this though. If we go nuts in an uncapped year, the next year, if its capped, we will be in major trouble.

Ding Ding!!

No way do I want to see a flux year in which the cap is off...there's too much temptation even with Gibbs around not to overpay for a few players.

Then we'll have 6 or 7 Brunell and Barrowesque guys running around handicapping us for when the cap returns.

Originally posted by AKM311

The problem would be this though. If we go nuts in an uncapped year, the next year, if its capped, we will be in major trouble.

Depends on how the contracts are set up. Front load it and give them a large roster bonus for the first year rather than large signing bonuses that span the length of the entire contract.

That's how you get around future cap ramifications in an uncapped year. Or sign guys to huge one year deals.

Just because we could get all the big names doesn't mean a winner on the field. It still takes chemistry & sacrifice which over paid athletes dont wont to make some times. What happens when one is mad because the other is making more money then him? Hold out after hold out to get more money because they know our owner can pay. Not a good thing IMO.

As I understand it, the non-shared revenues go to servicing debt, other indirect expenses and profit to make this a worthwhile investment (if profit margin goes down, real team value would probably also go down). In an uncapped year, Snyder will, at best, spend only slightly more than the average team.

Money, get away.

Get a good job with good pay and you’re okay.

Money, it’s a gas.

Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash.

New car, caviar, four star daydream,

Think I’ll buy me a football team.

Money, get back.

I’m all right jack keep your hands off of my stack.

Money, it’s a hit.

Don’t give me that do goody good bull****.

I’m in the high-fidelity first class traveling set

And I think I need a lear jet.

Money, it’s a crime.

Share it fairly but don’t take a slice of my pie.

Money, so they say

Is the root of all evil today.

But if you ask for a raise it’s no surprise that they’re

Giving none away.

I don't see how punishing a team for having good business practices is fair. That would be like making a team that traditionally has good drafts share their draft choices if they pan out. If there is already a salary cap, then doesn't that effectively level the playing field? Wouldn't adding revenue sharing be kind of redundant. They already limit the amount you can spend on your payroll. Anything above that they want to share/limit is just taking from your profit? Guess I just don't get it.

Archived