Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IF we sign Brown, what do we draft

I'm not trying to count unhatched chickens, but I have been assuming that we would probably draft a DE speed rush guy to help us get some pressure without blitzing as often or to draw double teams to free up a LB or even Griffin.

It would appear that IF we sign Brown that we wouldn't then go out there and draft someone else at that position and spend a ton of money on it.

Do you think a Brown signing changes draft strategy(obviously not a question for "Mike Williams for President" crowd)?

It all depends on how much Brown costs us, and if we have cap space to sign a guy at #9. Most likely we'll get Brown for around the minimum salary for veterans, and make a 1 year deal, most likely laden with incentives. He'll make most of his money in bonuses and number of games played most likely. If he insists on a contract that hinders us and how much we have left in cap space, then we'll most likely trade down to a later round draft pick to be able to sign someone less expensive. Well, that's my take on it.

Lates.

We don't need a CB as bad as to use a 1st round, top 10 pick on ya'll. We need another wideout, a DE, or an O-lineman. Cornerbacks are picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, unless they're supposed to be the next Darrell Green or Deion Sanders. I've heard some good things about Rolle, but not enough to merit a top 10 pick in the 1st round. Especially from us! We don't really even have a system that needs the greatest corners to make it work. I say no way.

Lates.

Originally posted by AkaD

We don't need a CB as bad as to use a 1st round, top 10 pick on ya'll. We need another wideout, a DE, or an O-lineman. Cornerbacks are picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, unless they're supposed to be the next Darrell Green or Deion Sanders. I've heard some good things about Rolle, but not enough to merit a top 10 pick in the 1st round. Especially from us! We don't really even have a system that needs the greatest corners to make it work. I say no way.

Lates.

Our system relies heavily upon the CB's being able to contain man to man. CB could be the most important position on the D.

god I hate these 3 words more than anything but....

best player available.

Finally coming around I see Oldskool. Remember, you still are looking for a position of need. For example, OLB is not a position of need. Offensive Tackle is not a position of need. However, most other positions, except maybe RB and QB, you could present an argument as a position of need.

One can never go wrong by drafting a Cane

Its the NFL Farm League

I still want Matt Jones darn it (not with our first pick...but he is going to be good)

But Antrolle Rolle is the real deal and I could see him and Taylor just killing people.....can you imagine Rolle blitzing out of one G Dub's packages......he, unlike Smoot or PacMac..will absolutely destroy a QB on a blitz...its like a free LB coming clean

Yikes....scary thought

I am starting to think that Williams aint gonna drop past 3 with all the hub bub...and I dont want Braylon (reminds me too much of David Terell-good job Giants on that one)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38444-2005Mar15.html

According to one source, who requested anonymity because the new deal hasn't been finalized, Moss will average more than the annual salary in Coles's original contract in Washington -- a seven-year deal worth $35 million that included a $13 million signing bonus. Rosenhaus, whose client was scheduled to earn about $450,000 in 2005, said last night that no deal has yet been reached and declined further comment.

Article from the post today says that Moss is going to get more money on his contract renewal than Coles did. So if we do that plus sign Brown and this safety, I see us trading down that pick so we don't end up with a large salary guy.

please, no best player available, as TimFolk pointed out, im sure guys like Benson/Brown/Williams, Derrick Johnson, or maybe even Smith/Rodgers will be available when we draft, but we dont need those players.

I think its pretty certain we would draft CB in that scenario. We will probably trade down though, many of you are also forgetting about Carlos Rogers of Auburn, I think also Nate Webster of LSU is a first round projection, though not sure.

WR, to me, it seems like we have a logjam again, Moss, Patten, Thrash, Jacobs, all can be legit #2 guys, and hopefully Moss can be our #1 guy, but we arent scewed if he cant. We'll just be a team that spreads the ball around a lot. Mike Williams may be a freak of nature in the NFL, but it depends on if he's available. I can see our FO drafting a guy in a later round, to work up, sorta like the Ravens with Clarence Moore.

I do think Edwards & Williams will be gone by our pick at 9. If we use the pick I can see us targeting Rolle or Jones, I also have a feeling Rolle will go #6 to the Titans. I could also see us moving back out of the #9 spot to pick up extra mid to late round picks.

Originally posted by NJSkins

I would say draft a CB. I do not want them to take a wide reciever unless they move way down. Taking a WR that high is a waste of a pick unless they have Moss/Owens skill without the attitude.

Mike Williams can definately be compared to Terrell Owens as far as what he can potentially do on the field. Both are physical WRs with great hands that score TDs.

If Williams falls to us, it would be difficult to pass on him.

Archived