Extremeskins

WP - Gibbs Says Moss Is a 'Big-Play Guy'

Sanders 83

Gibbs Says Moss Is a 'Big-Play Guy'

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A25100-2005Mar10.html

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, March 11, 2005; Page D03

Washington Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs grinned as Santana Moss handed him a yellow cap emblazoned with burgundy letters: "Got Moss!"

Gibbs and the Redskins got Moss from the New York Jets in exchange for Laveranues Coles and introduced him yesterday at a news conference at Redskins Park.

Although Gibbs towered over the 5-foot-9, 185-pound wide receiver, he was confident Moss would help produce the long passing plays the offense lacked last year.

"I think we've watched every play of his career," Gibbs said. "We became convinced he's a big-play guy."

Last season, Washington's wide receivers caught only six touchdown passes and averaged 11.5 yards per catch. Although Moss regressed last year with 45 catches for 838 yards after a breakout season in 2003, he did catch five touchdown passes and averaged 18.6 yards per catch.

"I don't like to talk about myself that much, but I have some pretty good wheels, you could say," said Moss. "I have a pretty good track record as far as my speed. When it comes down to it, I'm blessed with some God-given abilities."

Perhaps Moss's most impressive quality was his knack for making first downs. Moss turned 78 percent of his catches -- 35 of 45 -- into first downs. Fifty-two of Coles's career-high 90 catches last season went for first downs.

"They'll enjoy Santana. He's a great talent," Coles said in a telephone interview Tuesday. "Maybe he'll bring something that they felt was missing in me. He's very explosive. I think that's what they were looking for."

The Jets reportedly were expected to make Moss a No. 3 receiver next season because the organization felt he didn't fulfill his potential after being taken with the 16th pick overall in the 2001 draft. But Washington is so confident, sources said, that it will pay Moss an extension befitting a No. 1 receiver. He is scheduled to earn $448,000 for the final year of his original deal, and the new contract won't be announced until June 1, sources said, because of salary cap reasons.

Unlike Coles, Moss said he wasn't concerned about Gibbs's conservative offense because of the number of passes (168 -- second most in the NFL) thrown Coles's way.

"He had like a hundred-and-something balls attempted to him," said Moss, whose presence makes Chad Morton's future as a punt returner uncertain. "I had 60-something balls. What's conservative?"

And in Moss, the team has a player who is happy to be here. Gibbs had told players last season that he would do his best to accommodate anyone who didn't want to be in Washington, and yesterday he was asked about problems that might present.

"I have a confidence that's not going to happen very often around here," said Gibbs, whose other starting wide receiver, Rod Gardner, remains on the trading block. "I think in our locker room and with our players, I have a good feel for them. It's a great group of guys."

Redskins Notes: Mark Brunell's agent, Leigh Steinberg, confirmed the quarterback has restructured his contract to save Washington $1 million under the cap. Steinberg said Brunell, who was scheduled to earn $2 million this season, shifted about half of the money into unlikely-to-be-earned incentives. That category -- in contrast to likely-to-be-earned incentives -- doesn't count against the cap. But Washington must improve in only one of eight offensive categories for Brunell to get his full pay.

"We hope he eventually is the starting quarterback again," Steinberg said. "And it's in Mark's best interest to have the strongest possible roster. When someone like [owner] Dan Snyder needs in essence a favor, if Mark can accommodate, he will." . . .

Despite speculation Darnerien McCants will be released, Gibbs said that the 6-3, 214-pound wide receiver will return.

This is the most negative-slanted article that Nunyo has produced yet.

...Gibbs towered over Moss....

...Moss regressed...

...Pay an extension benefitting a #1 receiver...

OK, maybe I'm being a little touchy. But come on, Nunyo, where's the line that says "I swear my source told me Coles would be released!"

He is scheduled to earn $448,000 for the final year of his original deal, and the new contract won't be announced until June 1, sources said, because of salary cap reasons.

Ding Ding Ding! I dont remember who it was, but someone (or a few people) suggested this as a possibility. I was somewhat skeptical, since it could create a problem if Moss has a disastrous injury in minicamp (not that I'm expecting it to happen). That's cool though, it mitigates short term cap concerns.

Originally posted by TheDane

This is the most negative-slanted article that Nunyo has produced yet.

...Gibbs towered over Moss....

...Moss regressed...

...Pay an extension benefitting a #1 receiver...

OK, maybe I'm being a little touchy. But come on, Nunyo, where's the line that says "I swear my source told me Coles would be released!"

I felt a bit of the negative vibe from the "Gibbs towered over Moss" statement. Gibbs did not look that much taller than the guy.

It's clear Nunyo feels burned.... and his seething distaste for what he feels was a sourcing "slight" seeps into every article he's written since breaking the Coles Release story. What shotty journalism... he's a hack with marginal, if not unsatisfactory, writing talent.

Uh, I'm still stuck on the 168 passes thrown to him(coles), and I believe he had 90 receptions, and he was ****ing about not being used properly.

Goodbye Gimpy... Man I knew the guy dropped some passes but damn, at that rate coach Gibbs should have mixed in just a little bit more of T. Jacobs/ McCants....

We can't get rid of McCants man, that would be a huge mistake for us. We should use him as our 2nd or third WR this season. All he does is find the endzone when he starts. If we get a WR in the 1st round with our 9th pick, we should be able to use him as a #2 receiver, and with McCants, Moss, and Givens, we have a pretty sound set of options for Gibbs to go to. Ramsey will most likely have a much better year with that lineup. We'll see though.

Lates.

Please let's not overpay for this guy also. Why not just keep him at his current salary and opt for a new contract ofter we see what he does this season?

Perhaps that makes to much sense.

I am sure he will play his guts out and maybe be super smart , someone to build around after we have shelled out the big bucks.

Hopefully he plays better for us than he did with the Jets, but i'm concerned about his over the middle fear. He has a serious issue supposedly about that, but maybe it was just the routes they had in NY. Hopefully he can have a career year as a Skin and prove alot of the skeptics wrong. We'll see.

Lates.

Yeah, David Patten. I've been mixing those two up for some reason. Patten will be our 1 or 2 receiver... I meant our draft pick will be our 3 wideout if we can get a high rated WR with our pick. We'll find out soon enough.

Lates.

I hate to say I told you so, but well I told you so.

We are going to pay Moss like a number one receiver before he ever proves he is one. Un-frickin believable.

I mean, we can't afford Smoot or Pierce, but we can afford to give Moss a big-time extension? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

It had been reported that they were going over the deal that Mason got from the Ravens as a benchmark for Moss. I can live with an 8 million dollar bonus over a 13 million. Ideally Moss won't get as much as Mason any ways.

Originally posted by Hooper

I hate to say I told you so, but well I told you so.

We are going to pay Moss like a number one receiver before he ever proves he is one. Un-frickin believable.

I mean, we can't afford Smoot or Pierce, but we can afford to give Moss a big-time extension? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

This kind of reminds me of some of the naysayers from last year. how could we let Champ go? Why aren't we shelling out the big bucks for a pass-rusher? Our "D" will be horrible.

My personal belief is that Williams is one of those rare, amazing coaches who will find the pieces to make his grand defensive scheme work. Don't sweat the defensive turnover. Our D will not go into decline, and we NEED more quality in our offense. If Moss can get open regularly with his speed and cuts, that will be a huge step in the right direction.

Originally posted by Hogskin1

This kind of reminds me of some of the naysayers from last year. how could we let Champ go? Why aren't we shelling out the big bucks for a pass-rusher? Our "D" will be horrible.

My personal belief is that Williams is one of those rare, amazing coaches who will find the pieces to make his grand defensive scheme work. Don't sweat the defensive turnover. Our D will not go into decline, and we NEED more quality in our offense. If Moss can get open regularly with his speed and cuts, that will be a huge step in the right direction.

I agree ... mostly. I mean, even if our D does decline a little, is that the end of the world? Really? To drop from 3rd to say even 8 or 9? I think most of us agree our offense will only get better (how could it not), which should more than compensate for any slight drop off in the D.

Originally posted by Die Hard

"I think we've watched every play of his career," Gibbs said.

What is with the Skins collecting volumes on Jets players :)

I don't think it is just Jet players. I seem to remember Gibbs saying something similar about Taylor last year. I think Gibbs is being very careful about personnel now that he is the guy and there is a cap. It is much more difficult now to go get a high priced guy like Riggs and then sit him behind Ernest Byner because he is not the player you think he was.

I, for one, am thrilled that this level of homework is taking place.

Archived