Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2 #1 corners is a luxury we can't afford

HailVictory

Do you think it's a coincidence that after one year in Williams system there's a sudden buzz around players like Antonio Pierce, Clifton Smith, Lemar Marshall, Walt Harris, Garnell Wildes, Ryan Clark, Ron Warner, Joe Salavea, etc, etc?

These guys are a bunch of UFA's and late round picks that looked like world beaters. Williams is a defensive genius and could probably make Leomont Evans look like an all pro corner.

Smoot was a great player to root for but when fitting all the pieces together in our salary cap and team composition, it didn't make sense to pay him like a #1 corner when we already have Springs. I'm fairly confident that Harris will step up and perfrom admirably, or a mid round draft pick or a second tier free agent.

The creative ways of applying pressure in Williams system forces QB's to make bad decisions and subsequently the corners always seem to be in a great position. Not to take anything away from Smoot, but I have a feeling we'll be just fine there.

Now if we could only get a successful system like that in place for the offense...

I agree with you that GW's system seems to make worldbeaters out of a bunch of no-names. With the exception of Pierce, who was headed for stardom anyways IMO, GW got guys to play way above their previous abilities. One exception comes to mind....Ade Jimoh :laugh:

What I want to know is how the hell were the Vikes $31mill below the cap!! They have Culpepper who can't be cheap and they just traded Randy Moss (where's his cap hit!). They also just signed Winfield to a big deal last year, which must be cap-friendly. :wtf:

Originally posted by HailVictory

These guys are a bunch of UFA's and late round picks that looked like world beaters. Williams is a defensive genius and could probably make Leomont Evans look like an all pro corner.

Nobody, and I mean not even the great and powerful Williams could make Leomont Evans look like a pro:laugh: :laugh:

Willams is the man here. Lavar and Bowen are back, most likely Barrow too. The D as a whole will be good. Harris can play CB, and we still have the draft and Gardner to deal.. The Skins will be ok. Smoots can't wrap up tacklers.. he's good, not great; he gives up the big play; we all know that. Springs was a lot better last year. To be honest the drop off won't be that dramatic on the defensive side of the ball, not when Gregg Willams is running the show. Let's see how the draft and Gardner situation works out before we get carried away with Smoots leaving.

Gibbs is running things well folks, solid guy in Rabach, Vet leadership in Patten, he got rid of disgruntled Coles... patience boys,, this team will be better when June arrives...

take a breath and relax.

HTTR.

Kennybizzz

I disagree. I think of the two, Pierce is more likely to be the disappointment as a free agent pickup. Pierce had the luxury of playing next to Marcus Washington and behind Cornelius Griffin, both players had legitimate pro bowl caliber seasons. I see Pierce benefiting from that and the schemes of Williams.

While I don't think he will be a flop in NY, I could see him as being a merely solid linebacker.

Is he worth as much as Marcus Washington? No.

And that's why he is not back in DC.

You may not need 2 elite corners, but you can't just put anyone out there and still be successful.

Look at Dallas last year. They thought they could just put a warm body at corner and compete. Wrong. They went from the #1 overall D to way down in the middle of the pack.

Williams is a better coach than the Dallas D coordinator, but still... it's important to have good players on the corner.

We'll miss Smoot. D*** Coles.

i think the loss of Smoot will still hurt in the deep game, but hopefully the pressure up front will get better, Lavar returning wont hurt that at all. Maybe we trade down and draft a DE or CB in the first round still. The way I see it, we helped our o-line provided Samuels, Thomas, and Jansen stay healthy, as well as Rabach. We changed our receivers around, but that could help, we may adopt a quick passing style game instead, but if it works, I dont care.

We however need to keep our defense strong, I still wouldnt mind giving GW the DE he wants.

I won't miss seeing Smoot come off the corner on a blitz, have a free shot at the QB, and come up with a big whiff....or bounce off of him. I loved Smoot, but I watched him do that a couple of times last year.

I still wish the guy well, he always played with heart and was a good Skin while he was here.

Originally posted by Gfunk703

I disagree. Although our D and NE's D has shown you can just plug corners in, I feel more confident with two legit corners then 1. Just look around the league.

We haven't proven jack about being able to just plug in CB's.

We did that for what, like 1 or 2 games?

The Patriots did it almost the entire year and won the Super Bowl.

Let's not even sit here and try to compare ourselves to that team, because quite frankly we are not on that level yet.

Originally posted by mookie0720

We haven't proven jack about being able to just plug in CB's.

We did that for what, like 1 or 2 games?

The Patriots did it almost the entire year and won the Super Bowl.

Let's not even sit here and try to compare ourselves to that team, because quite frankly we are not on that level yet.

Wrong. Our Defense is at that level and higher. why? Because Gregg Williams and Blanche are two great D minds that will find the best available talent to play the way they want to. Where is that talent going to come from? Where did Pierce come from....From no where. Trust them. They will find the answers.

Originally posted by DCMONEY

Antrel Rolle needs to be drafted.

I guess you missed the last game of the season when UDFA CB Garnell Wilds played Randy Moss straight up and did as well as just about any CB in the league could do....

2 #1 corners isnt a luxury thats a stupid statement

You spend your money correctly and you can afford them both.

The skins have constantly blew off locking these guys up before they can test the waters the one exception being Jansen.

Smoot will be missed you guys have a selective memory for reason and continue to ignore how well he performed without a pass rush.

The younger pierce would be an upgrade over the aging injured Barrow which is money poorly spent.

Archived