Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Star-Ledger: Cowboys sign DT Jason Ferguson

Dale

Decided to give this its own thread since the "Dallas signs Pat Williams" thread was here, which isn't true.

----

Jets' nose tackle Ferguson going to Cowboys

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

When the clock struck midnight, Jets unrestricted free agent nose tackle Jason Ferguson turned into a Cowboy.

Ferguson, who anchored the Jets run defense last season, rebuffed the Jets' offer and will sign with the Cowboys and former Jets coach Bill Parcells, someone with knowledge of the situation said early this morning.

Terms of the contract were unavailable.

The move left the Jets, who felt they were close to a deal with Ferguson, scrambling to find a replacement. They're eyeing Bills free agent defensive tackle Pat Williams, trying to get him to fly to New York today. Williams is believed to have several bidders, including one from the Vikings.

Ferguson, 30, will be reunited with Parcells, who drafted him in the seventh round out of Georgia in 1997. He played three seasons under Parcells and one season with while while Parcells was in the Jets' front office.

The nine--year pro is coming off a career season in which he had 59 tackles and 3 1/2 sacks. He was coveted because of his ability to play in a 3-4 alignment, a scheme the Cowboys will employ this season.

Damn man, how many Jets can Parcells sign in the week?? Lol. He wants Drew Bledsoe, (an ex-Jet), and now he wants to get Furguson too? He already got Keyshaun Johnson and Vinny Testeverde last year, what is he trying to do? Start another '98 Jets team or what?? Lmao!!

Lates.

Originally posted by AkaD

Damn man, how many Jets can Parcells sign in the week?? Lol. He wants Drew Bledsoe, (an ex-Jet), and now he wants to get Furguson too? He already got Keyshaun Johnson and Vinny Testeverde last year, what is he trying to do? Start another '98 Jets team or what?? Lmao!!

Lates.

Hate to tell ya, but Bledsoe was never a Jet. :)

Originally posted by Dale

Hate to tell ya, but Bledsoe was never a Jet. :)

Oops!! My bad, that was the Patriots. I keep losing track of all the teams Parcells coached in the NFL man. Lmao. Well, at least Parcells is getting alot of old Jets... that was my point.

Lates.

Originally posted by Ken

Yeah really,

If we can get 4 straight pro bowl out of Ferguson he will be worth every penny.

:rolleyes:

And I'm sure all of those Pro-Bowls were all well-deserving right?

Jason Ferguson had a good performance in a contract year. We'll see if he can still maintain that level of play. He just turned 30, but a lot of big NTs can still play very well after 30. Whether Ferguson is one of those guys is yet to be seen.

I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Originally posted by goldenster95

And I'm sure all of those Pro-Bowls were all well-deserving right?

Jason Ferguson had a good performance in a contract year. We'll see if he can still maintain that level of play. He just turned 30, but a lot of big NTs can still play very well after 30. Whether Ferguson is one of those guys is yet to be seen.

I wouldn't be holding my breath.

You don't think Glover deserved to go to the pro bowl the last 3 years in Dallas?

He's been a rock for us. Granted, Griffin outplayed him this year, but I wouldn't say that Glover didn't deserve a spot.

Typical Redskins fans, downplay what the cowboys do, surprised when we beat you.

Just realize that we are improved over last year, already.

Ferguson is a big upgrade at DT. Bledsoe is a big upgrade at QB. Reports have us signing Anthony Henry, represents another major upgrade.

Guess what, we're not done yet.

Meanwhile, what the heck is your team doing? Raubach? He should improve your offense ten fold. Throw 15.75 million at Samuels? Yeah, that is a major upgrade right there.

How about Coles? Brilliant stuff there.

Anyway....

:cheers:

Ferguson had an outstanding season last year. He's carved his niche primarily as a steady run stuffer with good strength, although last season he succeeded in regularly penetrating into the backfield and creating pressure as well.

The pessimist will note the following. Fergie benefitted from playing on one of the more talented DLs in the NFL: 4 1st rounders in Ellis, Abraham, Robertson, Thomas, plus Reed and Harper who also gave him plenty of breathers. How will he fare on a line with lesser talent? The pessimist will also note that Ferguson's motivation has been called into question in the past. How aggressive will he be with a fat new contract that will likely be the last of his career?

My feeling is that Fergie will keep up his end of the bargain in 05 under the watch of his former coach. A bit further down the road, however, I'm not sure whether Ferguson will prove to be worth the investment.

Originally posted by Flowtrain

Ferguson had an outstanding season last year. He's carved his niche primarily as a steady run stuffer with good strength, although last season he succeeded in regularly penetrating into the backfield and creating pressure as well.

The pessimist will note the following. Fergie benefitted from playing on one of the more talented DLs in the NFL: 4 1st rounders in Ellis, Abraham, Robertson, Thomas, plus Reed and Harper who also gave him plenty of breathers. How will he fare on a line with lesser talent? The pessimist will also note that Ferguson's motivation has been called into question in the past. How aggressive will he be with a fat new contract that will likely be the last of his career?

My feeling is that Fergie will keep up his end of the bargain in 05 under the watch of his former coach. A bit further down the road, however, I'm not sure whether Ferguson will prove to be worth the investment.

possibly, hes been a good servant for the jets for a long time now, i know everybody on TGG is inlove with Robertson but i thought Fergie did a real good job beside him this year

Originally posted by Ken

You don't think Glover deserved to go to the pro bowl the last 3 years in Dallas?

He's been a rock for us. Granted, Griffin outplayed him this year, but I wouldn't say that Glover didn't deserve a spot.

Typical Redskins fans, downplay what the cowboys do, surprised when we beat you.

Just realize that we are improved over last year, already.

Ferguson is a big upgrade at DT. Bledsoe is a big upgrade at QB. Reports have us signing Anthony Henry, represents another major upgrade.

Guess what, we're not done yet.

Meanwhile, what the heck is your team doing? Raubach? He should improve your offense ten fold. Throw 15.75 million at Samuels? Yeah, that is a major upgrade right there.

How about Coles? Brilliant stuff there.

Anyway....

:cheers:

If you think Glover was deserving of all those Pro-Bowls, I've got some beachfront property in the Appallachian mountains I've got to sell you.

As for Bledsoe, I'd hardly say he's a major upgrade. Some commentary from Dallas newspapers are even characterizing it as a step backward. Ferguson may be an upgrade -- we'll see on that. And Henry would be an upgrade at your horrible RCB spot.

Samuels? Yeah, we re-sign one of the rocks on our o-line. And?

Coles? He's unhappy. But he's a warrior and he'll continue to play here. And he's better than anything you've got.

So, let's sum this up here: you've improved with Henry, if you end up signing him, will have to see on Ferguson, and have probably taken a step back with Bledsoe.

Meanwhile, we retain some of the core of offense.

I'm sorry, what were you saying?

Typical Cowboy fans: three statements and a cloud of dust.

very nice pickup for Dallas, many who know the jets feel he is the best DL they had of all of them, and they have some good players there

I am not liking what Dallas is doing now, if they get Smoot, and some help on the OL Dallas will be good even with Bledsoe.

Archived