Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How about we trade Davis to.......

Philly for a years supply of cheesesteaks?

how about that?

To be honest people, talking about trading Davis on offense is like trading Champ on the D.....and he's due for a new deal soon.....and he'll want a lot of $$$......and it'll get worked out.

Please people, I beg you.

Unless we have something concrete on Davis going anywhere but to training camp.................lets not dwell on it. :shootinth

there are two points of view I find hard to accept from other posters here:

1. The Redskins will pose a legitimate ground game by trading Davis and replacing him from among a cast of characters that includes Dorsey Levens, Jamal Anderson, KiJana Carter and unproven #2 pick Ladell Betts.

2. The Redskins will be better off at receiver by writing off Rod Gardner and focus on the production and development of unproven #3 pick Cliff Russell and NFL middle class citizens like Jacquez Green and Reidel Anthony.

he's due for a new deal soon.....and he'll want a lot of $$$......and it'll get worked out.

why do you think it'll get worked out? the enticement of being THE free agent, and the $$$ that goes with the winner of the stephen davis sweepstakes, is too much to compete against. #48 has nothing to lose by dicking us.:doh:

The big question is whether Davis wants to compete for a super bowl. If he does, and the skins show promise and make the playoffs, then he may restructure. Regardless, he will rush for 1,600 yards this year and thus shout "want me". Fantasy footballers take heed.

I realize Stephen Davis has had a whale of production in the Skins offense. No one questions his validity among the NFL's best RB's. Yes he even flashed a little pass catching ability, which I admire for him improving upon. However, he simply must, like others (Smith and Coleman) realize derailing the TEAM goals WILL mean they simply cannot pump up his pockets and watch another 8--8 season due to "technicalities" as opposed to performance. It hurts like hel* for me to say this and with a very, very heavy heart.

Stephen Davis wants to play for the Redskins, but his very own request to be bankrolled heavily at this crucial 2 year juncture for the team (2002-2003), may lead to 1> a trade or > him not returning in 2003.

He should understand that Dan Snyder's heart is BIG and he loves the team so much, he gave in to anything the players wanted at first. He just wasn't being prudent in his choices for the future. Now that LOGIC has taken over and normalcy is being restored by Mendes, the last thing they can afford to do, is return to foolish sums and deals of 2000 (year of the contract devil). Allow the team to string out his contract for 7 years, with a nice bonus, voidable after 4 may be a good choice, or something but don't try and get a front page sum that only leads to cellar team in the future, because the team can't afford it and won't go for it. Accounting rules!

Not sure I agree, talent. The trend right now seems to be against HUGE contracts for almost anyone. I don't think the market for Davis would necessarily be more than we will pay.

RB is often one of the more replacable positions on the field. Not that we'd easily replace Davis with someone AS capable, but perhaps there would be available RBs out there with the ability to temper the loss enough to keep his demands on us (or anyone else) out of the stratosphere.

Davis to me is a top 5 back. If we want or need to move him or he decides to move himself, that is one thing. But to suggest we can merely go out and sign someone else's has beens like Watters, Anderson, or Levens and not lose a beat is just absurd.

Anderson and Levens are cripples.

Watter is 33 years old in a profession where 30 is considered long in the tooth.

For those that want Carter back, I would suggest you look at his career numbers and note they CUMULATIVELY barely approach what Terrell Davis rushed for in ONE season.

What we don't want to do is follow the Lions who basically traded Barry Sanders for James Stewart a few years ago.

As we can see you don't replace an elite player easily.

Originally posted by bulldog

there are two points of view I find hard to accept from other posters here:

1. The Redskins will pose a legitimate ground game by trading Davis and replacing him from among a cast of characters that includes Dorsey Levens, Jamal Anderson, KiJana Carter and unproven #2 pick Ladell Betts.

2. The Redskins will be better off at receiver by writing off Rod Gardner and focus on the production and development of unproven #3 pick Cliff Russell and NFL middle class citizens like Jacquez Green and Reidel Anthony.

You're preachin' to the choir brother!!!!:D

Ok y'all.... Lets see....NFC Rushing champ 2 out of 3 years...Learning to catch passes better...wants to be a lifelong Redskin...got screwed out of the Pro-Bowl last year... I dont foresee Davis going anywhere...Plus there was a real S**t eatin grin when Coach mentioned his name. Stephen will be better than Marshall Faulk ever could be if Dan Snyder is'nt a fool.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

HAIL VICTORY

:notworthy

Ok, I'll jump in.

I think Davis will be here this year because he is such a solid performer. There is no way we trade him and hope for the best with an unproven rookie or an older free agent.

However. Unless Davis turns out to be a better reciever than we think, his future as a Redskin is in doubt. Ladell Betts will get a good long look this year. If he proves to be playmaker, I'm betting the the skins will go with youth and Davis will be gone.

Originally posted by Mad Mike

I think Davis will be here this year because he is such a solid performer. There is no way we trade him and hope for the best with an unproven rookie or an older free agent.

I think you're right, in terms of what the team will actually do.

I also think we have only a very slim chance of being a Super Bowl team this year, but a much better chance next year. I'd like to optimize our chances for next year. Hanging on to Stephen Davis this year and getting a groin kick in the 2003 salary cap after he leaves isn't the way to do it.

I wouldnt say we have a slim hance of going to the big dance.

If the Pats can make it I dont see why we should assume that we cant.

The S Davis situation though has to be resolved before the season is done because if he forces us to cut him because of greed or issues from his agent I'm going to be upset because of no compensation.

So I will no longer dismiss the idea of trading S Davis if he is going to be an *** about renegotiating his contract to help the team

Archived