Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPNradio.com: Mortenson said Coles agreed to give money only if RELEASED

jbooma

Originally posted by MonkeySkin

This is a tuff situation here... If I were the Redskins, it would be either he can give back money and be traded, or nothing.

He can stay on the team and sit on the bench if he's that pissed.

Why should we HELP a player leave that we invested so much in? I think it should be trade, or nothing.

that's the point. - LC, we gave you how many millions to play for 2 years? plus a 1st round draft pick. Now you have to do something for us and we'll help you get to your new team.

:cry:

If Coles doesnt think the Redskins should get anything in return besides some of his bonus $ back, then I agree that he stays on this team. If he decides to be a no show or play with less than it only lowers his value.

He holds no bargaining in this game.

Originally posted by Skins11

He hasn't "cried to everyone about how unhappy he is on this team". For someone who has been salivating over these articles, you should know better.

He only told Gibbs he was unhappy. One person.. and only after Gibbs told everyone to let him know if they wanted out.

He didn't even complain to other teammates about his situation. Everyone was actually shocked that he felt this way.

Nunyo, however, is bent on making it seem otherwise.

He talked to Rod, and well you know how that went :laugh: It seemed all the reporters knew about it too, since they saw what happened the last meeting.

Originally posted by jbooma

Mort mentioned only two teams, the Jets, and didn't hear the other, curious who that was.

He mentioned the Jets and Cowboys either thru trade or free agent. Obviously they won't be trading him to Dallas. I doubt the Jets would trade much for him either despite Maske's article.

Originally posted by Bufford

Why not the Raiders? They are trying to get rid of Woodson.

If we can do that trade straight up, and get Woodson to sign the deal we intended for Smoot? I would accept that.

Only after we are 100% sure we cannot keep Smoot.

Woodson wants Champ money, plus with them re-signing Porter they may not be so interested.

Originally posted by jbooma

The problem then is you have an unhappy player that will undermind the coach, he doesn't have to do anything, he is in the driver seat here.

He is not going to give up that money with getting nothing back in return.

Are you serious?

Coles is still under contract. For the next several years. While the 'Skins have looming cap concerns, he also should be worried that we could call his bluff and keep him.

If he wants bidders, he can still have them by getting permission to explore a trade and a new contract.

Originally posted by goose34

He mentioned the Jets and Cowboys either thru trade or free agent. Obviously they won't be trading him to Dallas. I doubt the Jets would trade much for him either despite Maske's article.

That is why I didn't hear it, my hearing has blocked out Dallas :laugh:

Originally posted by Mister Happy

Coles hasn't received that $5 million yet. I'd be surprised if his contract forces the Redskins to pay him the $5 million if he's not even on the team when it's due.

I believe that is the roster bonus for next year. Cap guys confirm please :)

Has anyone ever held out because they wanted to be released? I know a lot of people have held out because they want a new, fat contract, but Coles is already being paid a ton of money, so if he held out, I would think that would cripple his reputation. Especially since he always has to play up his me against the world, need to be the hardest working player to prove everyone wrong attitude. I would rather us keep him if he won't agree to any trades, why should we grant him what he wants when he signed a top-dollar contract to play for us and now is crying about fulfilling it.

Originally posted by Mister Happy

Coles hasn't received that $5 million yet. I'd be surprised if his contract forces the Redskins to pay him the $5 million if he's not even on the team when it's due.

It's a deferred portion of his signing bonus, not a roster bonus. We are obligated to give him that money unless he forfeits it, even if we cut him before 4/1.

Fair weather receiver, I say keep em, make him honor his contract and if he complains bench him, fine him, do whatever but we invested to much just to release him because he's unhappy. Sometimes I can't stand the Navy, but I signed a contract, it's not like their going to be like, "ok your unhappy you can go". That's crap Coles!

If a guy is under contract, and a team feels he needs surgery, does he have to get the surgery or retire? Is it a breach of his contract? I still think this is the issue on the table...if reports are true - that Coles' operation is 50/50 for recovery - then he's gambling any way you look at it. I still think he'll have problems passing any team's physical so that the prospects of a trade are not good.

Originally posted by Bufford

I wouldn't just let a player dictate the rules to the team and the league. It doesn't work that way.

He agreed to a fat contract......... he's still getting paid. He's going to cry? Then its time for both of us to take our medicine. Go into the season with hiim, use the other WR's more....and if he's a problem. Doesn't show up to meetings, or camp, or whatever. Then fine him. The team is going to win this battle in any court.

I'm sure if they can find a team who he wants to go to, they can work SOMETHING out.

If now.....too bad. Sometimes you have to work with people you aren't crazy with. Right Ty Law?

My feelings exactly.

Originally posted by tr1

If a guy is under contract, and a team feels he needs surgery, does he have to get the surgery or retire? Is it a breach of his contract? I still think this is the issue on the table...if reports are true - that Coles' operation is 50/50 for recovery - then he's gambling any way you look at it. I still think he'll have problems passing any team's physical so that the prospects of a trade are not good.

you can't force anyone to have surgery

Archived