Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPNradio.com: Mortenson said Coles agreed to give money only if RELEASED

jbooma

yes technically we can keep coles and there's not a damn thing he can do about it, but i think most people are forgetting that gibbs provided an open invitiation to disgruntled players to approach him with their problems. He also seems to have told coles in their discussions that they will resolve the situation for him. For Gibbs to go back on his word now would look bad, I think the redskins are committed to accomodating coles as long as it does not screw the team over financially - which is a reasonable position to take.

Originally posted by RedskinzOwnU

yes technically we can keep coles and there's not a damn thing he can do about it, but i think most people are forgetting that gibbs provided an open invitiation to disgruntled players to approach him with their problems. He also seems to have told coles in their discussions that they will resolve the situation for him. For Gibbs to go back on his word now would look bad, I think the redskins are committed to accomodating coles as long as it does not screw the team over financially - which is a reasonable position to take.

Exactly and it is clear Gibbs doesn't want someone angry on the team, how would you feel as a player when the coach gave everyone a chance to leave, but then kept you.

No matter what everyone says how good a teamate is, if you are on the team and Coles has to block for you on one play, you don't think there will be a slight bit of questioning what to expect?

If he is such a great teamate then why the show on the last meeting in front of the reporters, the fact he refused to talk in the middle of the season was a bad sign. A great teammate would have gone on like nothing was wrong instead of refusing to talk to the press.

Originally posted by jbooma

Exactly and it is clear Gibbs doesn't want someone angry on the team, how would you feel as a player when the coach gave everyone a chance to leave, but then kept you.

No matter what everyone says how good a teamate is, if you are on the team and Coles has to block for you on one play, you don't think there will be a slight bit of questioning what to expect?

If he is such a great teamate then why the show on the last meeting in front of the reporters, the fact he refused to talk in the middle of the season was a bad sign. A great teammate would have gone on like nothing was wrong instead of refusing to talk to the press.

i doubt gibbs guaranteed resolution. they shouldn't give him away for nothing, and they can't let him dictate parameters to them. if nothing can be worked out that is beneficial to both, tough luck.

Originally posted by Bufford

if he wants to go, then he needs to give more than just cap room. The Skins are under no obligation to let him go.

He wants his freedom? Its not going to come cheap...... we need to get the better end of this deal.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

my point exactly, if wants out,refuses the trade scenrio, he forfeits everything

I doubt Gibbs' was prepared for such a problem from Coles. The only thing I've heard about the offense from Redskins Park this offseason is "we're going to open it up next year", which certainly should be a positive from Coles' standpoint. It seems to me that with Gardner leaving, it would really bring Coles to the forefront as our featured WR (regardless of any incoming Rookie or FA), and allow him to flourish as the WR we brought him in to be. Perhaps the injury is playing more into it than we realize, because I cannot understand why else Coles would be disgruntled enough to ask for a trade or his release.

Originally posted by Bufford

Do you have a link saying this? I know he was banged up. I can't imagine he can really expect that.

they franchised Woodson last year because they couldn't agree to a contract. ...and oh yeah, his agents are the Postons, if that tells you anything.

Why is this news--nothing was reported that he agreed to give up the money if a trade could be worked out. However, if the Skins could find a team that Coles liked and they would be willing to make up the 5 million give back--then we have something.

that's the point. - LC, we gave you how many millions to play for 2 years? plus a 1st round draft pick. Now you have to do something for us and we'll help you get to your new team.
if he wants to go, then he needs to give more than just cap room. The Skins are under no obligation to let him go.

I think these to points really bring home the point of not just letting Coles go...... Gibbs when you talked about letting players leave who do not want to be here......used the word accomidate (I believe) not the fact if you want to leave well break the contract and maybe get some cap relief out of. it

Hell, we did give up a first rounder for Coles and a big contract as well......now if he does want to leave (and I want him gone if he doesn't want to be here) he does have to find away to make it benefical for what we gave up to get him.

The simple fact is that even if Coles forfeits his bonus he'll still count something like $4million against the cap this year. So he won't actually be freeing up any space this year and releasing him actually counts more against the cap than keeping him.

In other words he wants us to cripple ourselves against the cap and let him go after paying him about $10 million for two seasons and losing a first round pick for him. Now, while I'd rather not have any players who don't want to be on the team this is worst than what deion did to us. We NEED to get something in return for him or at least get enough money back so that he doesn't hurt us against the cap this year.

considering the talk of the league now after the past season is.....shutdown DB's aren't as valuable. Especially with the newly enforced rules. Its going to be hard to get that kind of money. Look, Denver gave it to Champ so they could matchup with Indy....and it didn't even happen.

Somebody might pay big bucks....but not THAT big.

watch.

Originally posted by CaliforniaSkin

The simple fact is that even if Coles forfeits his bonus he'll still count something like $4million against the cap this year. So he won't actually be freeing up any space this year and releasing him actually counts more against the cap than keeping him.

In other words he wants us to cripple ourselves against the cap and let him go after paying him about $10 million for two seasons and losing a first round pick for him. Now, while I'd rather not have any players who don't want to be on the team this is worst than what deion did to us. We NEED to get something in return for him or at least get enough money back so that he doesn't hurt us against the cap this year.

read Maske's article - If this is done before March 1, the day before Free Agency, it will end up counting 900k against our cap this year, and he's off the books for good.

Coles wants out. The bridged appear to already be burned. If we don't get rid of him befor March 2, then when? If we dump him now its will only be a 900K cap hit. If we wait he will collect on the 5 million defered portion of his signing bonus. We then won't be able to cut him for several years without incuring a much larger cap hit.

If we can work a trade, satisfactory to Coles, it would be great. I would even take a 2nd rounder. Any compensation we might get is just icing on the cake in my opinion. The big thing is the reduction of the cap hit to a very managable 900K. But I'm not holding my breath on a trade. There is very little time.

Why keep a malcontent? Dump Coles now. Move forward.

read Maske's article - If this is done before March 1, the day before Free Agency, it will end up counting 900k against our cap this year, and he's off the books for good.

I don't think this is correct, I believe it reads that it will be an additional 900K beyond his 2005 hit of 3.36 mil

And this, in turn, is where the give-back rule comes in. If Coles agrees by March 2 to forfeit the $5 million, the Redskins would get credit for the $5 million on their 2005 salary cap. So instead of their salary cap having to absorb an extra $5.92 million hit for trading Coles, the additional cap hit would be a far-more-manageable $920,000. Suddenly, trading Coles goes from not do-able against the salary cap to do-able.

Archived