Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With Coles Creating Cap Room....

Ignatius J.

Originally posted by Renegade7

It's not that we can't afford Smoot, he's just asking for more money then he's worth. Unless his demands come down, no, we won't re-sign him.

Yeah I agree, I think he's pretty set on what he thinks he should get bonus wise.

Also, the corner market is so saturated that we probably would not get a high draft pick in return for him. We should just go out and sign one of the second tier FA corners to replace him.

I see Samuels still restructuring, we sign Pierce, and Salavea'... and Smoot will sign after he tests FA.. and finds the money for CB's have dropped this season. And we draft a future all pro WR to play along Taylor Jacobs who will blossom this season giving his chance to shine.

What looks like a disaster right now might play out for the best in the near future.

The problem would be could we even possibly orchestrate a trade? If he really is overvaluing himself, teams may not be willing to look at him for the money he is asking and then we are stuck with paying him the frachise tag contract!

Add to that all the CBs that have been released and now you have a saturated market. Just let him go, fix the D line with a strong DE, then if he comes back.. welcome with open arms!

Our cap situation improves a good amount with Coles leaving....I hope we capitalize on that and keep that space, I dont want to see our team broken down in 2006. I hear all this optimism about there not being a cap hell, but the numbers dont lie. Cap hell is comming if we dont do something about it.

Originally posted by dfitzo53

Coles was classy about it and gave some of his signing bonus back to help us out with the cap from what I heard.

that's one way to look at -- the reality though is that if coles doesn't agree to give cap relief, he can't even ask the skins to release him with a straight face, because that would kill them

so, it's not so much altruism as it's a necessary condition to coles getting what he needs from the skins in the first place, which is their consent to 'waive' him

Archived