Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Daughter of Alan Keyes.....

MaddogCT

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/15/keyes.daughter.ap/index.html

ANNAPOLIS, Maryland (AP) -- The daughter of conservative Republican Alan Keyes referred to herself Monday as a "liberal queer" and urged support for gay and lesbian young people who have been deserted by their families.

Maya Marcel-Keyes, 19, addressed a rally sponsored by the gay-rights group Equality Maryland, saying she was motivated to speak out because of her rocky relationship with her parents and the recent death of a friend who had fallen ill after being thrown out of the house by his family.

Marcel-Keyes told several hundred supporters that her sexuality had created a rift in her relationship with her parents.

"Things just came to a head. Liberal queer plus conservative Republican just doesn't mesh well," she said. "That was making my life a little bit turbulent."

Later, Marcel-Keyes told CNN her parents "were not too pleased" when they learned she was a lesbian, but she said she loves them "very much, and they love me. They can't support my activities."

Her father, the Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate in Illinois last year, created a stir in August when he said during an interview that homosexuality was "selfish hedonism" and that Vice President Dick Cheney's lesbian daughter was a sinner.

In a statement issued Monday night, Keyes said: "My daughter is an adult, and she is responsible for her own actions. What she chooses to do has nothing to do with my work or political activities."

Marcel-Keyes said she received an outpouring of support when disclosing her sexual orientation, but her friend did not.

"Like me, he grew up queer in a conservative household," she said. But where she got hundreds of e-mails, offers of a place to stay and a college scholarship, "he'd been out there two years and had gotten nothing."

"And the worst part is, he isn't the only one," Marcel-Keyes said.

:logo:

It's always amusing to me to see the glee with which the media reports that family members of Republicans lead alternative lifestyles that are not supported by them. Is this news? It sounds more like a personal attack to me. Every family has at least one black sheep (and yes, sometimes that can even be the politician but still . . .).

Originally posted by redman

It's always amusing to me to see the glee with which the media reports that family members of Republicans lead alternative lifestyles that are not supported by them. Is this news? It sounds more like a personal attack to me. Every family has at least one black sheep (and yes, sometimes that can even be the politician but still . . .).

Glass houses amuse me.

Is it glass houses? If a man is against bestiality(I'm not saying it's the same, but bear with the LOGIC of the argument) and his son is accused of loving a goat, how is that a glass house? That's his son making his own choice in spite of something the father is known to be against.

Glass houses would be Alan Keyes himself being outed. lol

Originally posted by Hooper

Oh no, Keyes' political career is ruined.

:laugh:

Some would ask, what career? except making a lot of noise during each campaign season?

Alan is a very intelligent man and it's too bad he went from talking about a host of economic and political issues to JUST talking about abortion and such....ad nauseum.

He's also a bit arrogant and mean at times.

Originally posted by MaddogCT

... "Like me, he grew up queer in a conservative household," she said. But where she got hundreds of e-mails, offers of a place to stay and a college scholarship, "he'd been out there two years and had gotten nothing."

Was society supposed to endorse and reward his alternative lifestyle?

I love my kids dearly, but don't always like what they do. My love for them should not be interpreted as support for their actions or choices. Nor am I obligated to accomodate and enable them. Why is this different for a conservative politician?

This article reads like the reporter has a personal view that trancends into the article. What happened to unbiased reporting?

Originally posted by redman

That's my point, it's not his glass house, it's hers because it's her lifestyle choice. Are you so desperate to attack Allan Keyes that you ignore that distinction?

When asked about Cheney's daughter he said she was a "selfish hedonist" and a "sinner." When asked about his own daughter he responded "My daughter is an adult, and she is responsible for her own actions. What she chooses to do has nothing to do with my work or political activities." Seems fairly clear to me that Mr. Keyes lost a little fire when the reality landed on his doorstep. Instead of lashing out he choose to instead cover his own @ss.

Also if I really wanted to attack this piece of trash I have much more ammo then his family situation. Sadly there's never been a need because he's always done enough to damage his political career on his own.

Originally posted by rick301

Isn't that the definition of most all politicians - especially when they don't subscribe to your point of view?

No, Alan is particularly negative at times.

And as for my point of view, while he and I differ on a number of points, we also agree on more than a few issues in kind if not in degree.

Did you think Des and I switched bodies or something? ;)

Originally posted by NoCalMike

I couldn't imagine throwing out my son or daughter for something as trivial as them beaing gay.

No, but I'd be bleepin' disappointed. I wish people were more honest. Personally, if Q could come from the continuum and said, "your son will be gay or he won't, if I intervene. NOTHING ELSE will change in his life(meaning he isn't straight and a crank addict vs. gay and President) but that. Do you want me to change his orientation?!"

I'd be all over the 'change it' option. Doesn't mean that in reality I'd hate my son or daughter if they WERE gay.

I couldn't imagine throwing out my son or daughter for something as trivial as them beaing gay.

I bet if your son or daughter came home and told you they'd just been elected president of the Northern California Young Republicans, they'd be out on their ear in 2 seconds. :laugh:

j/k man...

;)

The article doesn't say that she was thrown out. It did mention that her friend was - but was that confirmed or was it 3rd person supposition? Did that guy leave home because his parents would not let him live his lifestyle under their roof?

I would not throw my kids out - but I would not let them live under my roof in a manner I did not approve of. That is being a parent.

I would not throw my kids out - but I would not let them live under my roof in a manner I did not approve of. That is being a parent.

Hope your parenting skills are better than your logic - what is the difference between "throwing them out" and "would not let them live under my roof?" What, you're gonna bribe them into leaving?

The article doesn't say that she was thrown out. It did mention that her friend was - but was that confirmed or was it 3rd person supposition? Did that guy leave home because his parents would not let him live his lifestyle under their roof?

Well if "in a manner I did not approve of" you mean, engaging in sexual activity, then that is perfectly fine, as many parents don't want their kids having sex under their own roof period no matter who it is with, however simply to not allow it because it is "homosexual sex" seems kind of unreasonable.

Archived