Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Samuels - The options

Chrisbob74

Lets assume here that Samuels won't redo his deal.

With his cap figures for the next two years being:

2005 - $9.643M

2006 - $11.320

Samuels leaving the team represents a cap saving of $5.207M

So, who would be interested in trading for Samuels and what could we expect to gain in a trade? Also, if he does leave, who do we look at in terms of a replacement?

Myself, I feel the team will want a 1st rounder in any trade but a 2nd round pick may be more realistic. So, which teams might try and swing a trade for him? Some of the options could include:

49ers: Not going to give up the #1 overall, I doubt they swap #1 for #9 and I don't think the 'Skins would be that interested in that anyway. Their 2nd rounder is #33 overall so that could be an option. They badly need upgrades along the OL and finally have the cap room to make some more aggressive moves.

Dolphins: Not going to give up the #2 overall. Don't have a 2nd rounder (gone to the Eagles for AJ Feeley:laugh: ). they could offer a future pick, how acceptable this would be to the Skins is not known. The other option could be for a player. Patrick Surtain if Smoot moves on maybe?

Browns: Again, no way they give up their 1st rounder (#3 overall) but could they be tempted for their 2nd rounder (#34 overall). or could they be tempted to throw in a player and a lower pick. Maybe center Melvin Fowler who has started 13 games over two years at center and guard as they will have Jeff Faine returning from injury plus a 3rd or 4th rounder.

They have a solid starter in Ross Verba but Samuels would be a clear upgrade on him and Verba can play elsewhere along the line.

Titans: Their cap position makes it unlikely but they are going to release both starting tackles according to reports. if they could free up enough cap room would they be interested? Could offer their 2nd rounder or a combination of a player and pick. Derrick Mason maybe?

Chargers: Have cap room and Samuels played his best season under Marty S back in 2001. They have two 1st rounders as well. The Chargers OL was one of the reasons for their success last season and LT Roman Oben was very solid for them but would they regard Samuels as an upgrade? I would think so.

Texans: Are still looking to upgrade their OL to protect star QB David Carr. I would think they would be reluctant to trade their 1st rounder (#13 over) but they do have two 3rd rounders so could be tempted to pony up a couple of lower picks, a 2nd and a 3rd maybe, possibly taking a lower pick back from the 'Skins (a 6th rounder say).

Buccaneers: Again, like the Titans, cap room could be a problem but they need an upgrade on the OL with veteran Derrick Deese their starter at LT last year. They have a pretty high 2nd rounder (#36 overall), maybe they would be tempted if they can sort their cap problems?

They are some of the main contenders in my mind, of course, other teams may come into the running if he goes up for trade.

So, assuming he is traded, how do we replace him?

Here are some of this years free agents:

Orlando Pace (Rams)- Franchise tag

Walter Jones (Seahawks) - Has been franchise the past two seasons, might well be again.

Tra Thomas (Eagles) - Eagles are in good cap shape, have a good record for resigning their own key guys, but if he wants to hit the open market.......

Jonas Jennings (Bills) - 4 year starter, maybe the Bills are looking to move former #1 pick Mike Williams over to the LT spot?

Other options:

*Use the #9 overall on Alex Barron of Florida St, the top tackle prospect in the draft. The risk being that he is unproven at this level and he may not last 'til the 9th pick anyway.

*Use a lower pick and allow them to compete with Jim Molinaro for the starting spot. On paper it carries a lot of risk, but maybe the coaching staff believe Molinaro can step up or the FO/Gibbs/coaches become enamored with someone a bit lower down in the draft.

*Look for a veteran who is released in the pre-free agency cuts, such as the Titans Brad Hopkins to act as a stop gap.

Thoughts? Anyone else out there that takes your fancy as a potenial future LT for the 'Skins?

The Skins shouldn't settle for anything but a first round pick. Samuels is a top seven or eight player at a premier position and has the potential to be a top 5 LT.

How we replace him is another story but if Barron is going to be a top LT in the NFL then I would take him with one of our two first rounders.

Samuel's money could be used to sign either a FA WR, or a FA CB, or both. Then we could use our other first rounder on a DE.

What will another team give up in order to have Samuels play one year at 6.6M and then become a FA? Why would Samuels even talk extension with a new team when he knows the Skins can't keep him at his present cap hit much less the cap hit which would be caused by his declaring his intention to void 06 and thus have his 06 proration accelerate into 05? Wouldn't he rather force the Skins to axe him and then sell himself to the highest bidder among 32 teams? Knowing this why would any team offer anything close to his actual value in trade when they can just wait for the Skins to release Samuels so they can use the created cap space to form their 05 team?

Here's an idea, Samuels is probably top 5 at his position, so lets not try to trade him but re-sign him. Whether its Smoot and Samuels people these days don't seem to want to have to pay a little more for quality, I understand our caps shape but we need Samuels

Originally posted by Pocono

What will another team give up in order to have Samuels play one year at 6.6M and then become a FA? Why would Samuels even talk extension with a new team when he knows the Skins can't keep him at his present cap hit much less the cap hit which would be caused by his declaring his intention to void 06 and thus have his 06 proration accelerate into 05? Wouldn't he rather force the Skins to axe him and then sell himself to the highest bidder among 32 teams? Knowing this why would any team offer anything close to his actual value in trade when they can just wait for the Skins to release Samuels so they can use the created cap space to form their 05 team?

Exactly. He can't be traded. The best the Redskins can hope for is that he'll redo his deal.

Originally posted by Chrisbob74

Thoughts? Anyone else out there that takes your fancy as a potenial future LT for the 'Skins?

Bryant McKinnie of the Vikings is supposedly on the trading block for the right price. To get him it would appear to take a #1 pick or an equivalent player.

L. J. Shelton of Arizona a former #1 pick is definitely going to be traded. He is signed through 2008 I believe at only $3 Mil base salary, so that would be a bargain. He has talent but has been an underachiever mainly because he has a recurring weight problem he hasn't been able to solve.

The Raiders might be willing to trade LT Barry Sims 29+ this year, if they are ready to move Robert Gallery into the LT position.

Originally posted by wskin44

The Skins shouldn't settle for anything but a first round pick. Samuels is a top seven or eight player at a premier position and has the potential to be a top 5 LT.

How we replace him is another story but if Barron is going to be a top LT in the NFL then I would take him with one of our two first rounders.

Samuel's money could be used to sign either a FA WR, or a FA CB, or both. Then we could use our other first rounder on a DE.

samuels is top 5 LT like rod gardener has good hands;)

just had to through that in there.

As far as I know, we're already under the cap. That means we can wait till March and see what happens with the other franchise tackles.

My guess is that Walter Jones will hit the market without the franchise tag. Once he does, we can find out what his asking price is. If it's in the range of Samuels, then we can cut Samuels and sign Jones. Jones is a notch above Samuels overall and the best pass protector in the game.

I figure that right now the Skins are offering 14-15 mill up front for #60 to redo his contract and that Samuels is asking for 20. He's not worth that. But Jones is. The Skins could actually sign Jones before cutting Samuels if we are 4 mill under which I think we are.

I hope Jomnes doesn't get the tag but I do think he will.

No way the Seahawks franchise Hassleback!! Would you pay him top 5 QB money? Especially after the year he has had.

Alexander might get tagged but it is clear he won't play in Seattle next year and again, a team may be relunctant to give up compensation for him and if tagged, that means the 'Hawks could be stuck with a guy wop doesn't want t play for them next year.

Jones gets the tag IMO.

As for Samuels, I do think teams would be interested in a trade because we don't have to get rid of Samuels, we could manage with his cap figure although it is preferable not to.

I'm thinking player for player might be the most realistic option, find someone in a similiar situation that the 'Skins want and pull the trigger.

Archived