Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How far have you gone to watch/listen to the Redskins?

Chrisbob74

I was chatting with another poster in a PM and I was telling him about some of the mad experiences I have had or attempts I have made just to listen to a Redskins game. he suggested sharing with the rest of the forum!

Being "Geographically challenged" has always made it tougher to find out what is happening in the world of the Redskins and the NFL but with the net and boards like this it is now a heck of a lot easier. It is also great that certain great posters here help us less fortunate ones out in "special ways" (You guys know who you are, :cheers: ).

Anyway, before the net and before the times when we used to get 2 to 4 live games a week over here, I and my fellow British fans had to go to some unusual lengths to listen to Redskins football.

The most common way to keep up with live games was to wait until dark (early games kick off about 6pm UK time) and then crack on the AM radio and creek the dial to find AFRTS radio, which for some reason, only came through after dark.........it would be located inbetween a Welsh radio station playing hymms (Welsh has to be heard to be believed, involves a lot of "y's":laugh: ) and a Spainish radio station with soccer on.

The signal used to fade in and out so you would get something like so:

"Redskins 1st and goal at the ten, Rypien back to throw......looks.......looks .......................................GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

.....(*jumps up and down thinking it's a TD*) ............incomplete............2nd and ten........... *insert Welsh hymm* ...........Touchdown Washington Redskins.............*fades*...........3rd and goal.........."what, why 3rd and goal!!!!",.........flag on the play........

As you can imagine, frustrating doesn't cover it but some of my best Redskins memories have come that way........the massive comeback in Detriot in 1990 with Jeff Rutledge.........the 1990 wild card win over the Eagles, countless great Gibbs games listened to that way.

Some of the other tactics to get a good reception involved hanging a coathanger out of the window to improve the reception..........many a time I have got in my car and drove round the corner because the car radio would get a better reception.

Also, MNF was almost impossible to listen to as I didn't work shifts back then so had to be up early in the morning, so I have resorted to phoning up premium rate phonelines (not that sort, behave :laugh: ) in order to find ou Redskins results/news.

Even now, i find myself doing things I wouldn't normally think of just to see games. This year, the MNF game vs the Cowboys, MNF kicks off at 2am UK time, finishes arounds 5-6am and this time I was on early shift (7am start), I tried to sleep in the evening but couldn't so I ended up watching the whole game, then going to work without any sleep.

Yes, I'm a Redskins addict!

What lengths have you gone to in order to catch a Redskins game?

I had to work unscheduled overtime during the 99 Skins/Bucs playoff game. I had the main control room pump 106.7 into the smaller control room where I was working, so I could listen to the game. The radio station that is on in main control, is the only station that can be listened to throughout the facility, as there aren't independent tuners elsewhere. I made everybody in the place listen to the skins game until it was over. :laugh: Since they made me stay for mandatory overtime, I figured they could give me that much. :D Too bad we lost. :(

That effin Brunell!

I can remember the season just before Utah got DTV. We traveled about 90 miles to Wendover Nevada several times to watch the Skins play at the Sports Lounge in the Silver King, ( One of those trips won....then lost $120.00 :doh: ) That got old and expensive so we took off rest of season. Farthes though has been from here to Washington 4 times. 3 for Hogfest and 1 for the Monday night game against Dallas. The Extremeskins Mod/Staff bowl. :)

Originally posted by SkinsForLife260

Direct tv or am I :doh:

That will be the final piece in the puzzle for us Brits.........there is talk of us getting some form of either NFl Network or Direct TV within the next couple of years.........and when that happens, I will be one happy man!!

And my missus will probably leave me:doh:

Originally posted by chickenlipper

I buy the Sunday ticket and go to 1 game a year. I'm in Cali and will be at the Phoenix game.

Yep got the Sunday Ticket too (Cali.) Have too or I'm stuck watching 49er games and raider away games (cause they dont sell out the stadium, now if only al davis could schedule those home games around raider fans welfare checks perhaps they might sell a few more tix...)

Originally posted by seanyt

Yep got the Sunday Ticket too (Cali.) Have too or I'm stuck watching 49er games and raider away games (cause they dont sell out the stadium, now if only al davis could schedule those home games around raider fans welfare checks perhaps they might sell a few more tix...)

Just when you thought you had got rid of Norv:doh:

Edit...........and Nolan:doh:

I was studying abroad in the Netherlands in 1997. I listened to a Sunday night game against the Giants from a station on a German Naval base. The game did not start until 2:30 A.M. My roomate was sleeping, and since we had a one room dorm, I had to lay in bed in the dark and listen to the game on a handheld radio close to my ear. If that wasn't bad enough the game went into overtime, and finished in a tie:doh: That was the game Frerotte banged his head against the wall. The game finally ended around 6:30 A.M. What a long freakin' night . But anything for the skins. :point2sky

Originally posted by chaz13

I was studying abroad in the Netherlands in 1997. I listened to a Sunday night game against the Giants from a station on a German Naval base. The game did not start until 2:30 A.M. My roomate was sleeping, and since we had a one room dorm, I had to lay in bed in the dark and listen to the game on a handheld radio close to my ear. If that wasn't bad enough the game went into overtime, and finished in a tie:doh: That was the game Frerotte banged his head against the wall. The game finally ended around 6:30 A.M. What a long freakin' night . But anything for the skins. :point2sky

Wow, remember this one, I was working night shift and couldn't get out of working Sunday Night so I took my radio into work, I worked on my own on nights so nobody was coming up to me asking why I was listening to total gibbish as the feed was very poor that night. As it was I had to put up with the 'Skins blowing umpteen chances to take that game. Apart from Fretotes moment of madness didn't westbrook take us out of field goal range for a unsportsmanlike penalty.........he removed his headgear or something?

I was in school at ECU in 1991 and I knew game 7 of the World Series was going to be on our dorm lounge TV...so I drove 72 miles back to my parent's home to watch Mark Rypien rally the Skins to a 17-13 victory. Stayed the night there and cut my 8am class the next morning.

Last season during Spurrier's last season I was up visiting my girlfriend at Lehigh Univ (Eagles Terrority..or something) and I waited and waited to see if CBS would feature the Patriots and Redskins game because the Eagles were playing on Fox. They said they would play it but when the game came on to my suprise it was some other lame a$$ game so I decided to leave right away and on the way home I listened to the Eagles game on the radio wait for them to tell me of the other scores. Listening to their announcer is so damn obnoxious..whats wrong with that guy?

Originally posted by Raub

Not the Redskins, but I listened to the Bills-Giants Superbowl on a walkman while wearing full chemical gear sitting in a bunker in Saudi Arabia :)

Can't top that, if this is the lengths you will go to for a non-redskins game then imagine what you might do for an actual Redskins game!

One year we went to Disney World on vacation. I was going to miss a game, but it was the only time I could get off from work. It ended up being the week after Norv Turner was fired. I was resigned to missing the game...and I'm walking towards Cinderella's Castle in my Skins gear when some guy on a bench says to me, "Hey, they are about to kickoff". Turns out he was a Skins fan too....and he had a radio...I was surprised the Skins game was carried down there.

...so I looked at my wife....she shook her head and showed slight signs of disgust...and took the kids on rides for the next couple of hours while I listened to the game.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

I can remember the season just before Utah got DTV. We traveled about 90 miles to Wendover Nevada several times to watch the Skins play at the Sports Lounge in the Silver King, ( One of those trips won....then lost $120.00 :doh: ) That got old and expensive so we took off rest of season. Farthes though has been from here to Washington 4 times. 3 for Hogfest and 1 for the Monday night game against Dallas. The Extremeskins Mod/Staff bowl. :)

Wendover Nevada, one of the most desolate places on the planet, yet you can still watch the Skins, gamble and then swing over to the Peppermill for the all you can eat buffet and if your still feeling frisky you can drive out into the desert and search for red lights :) .

1st game of the post Gibbs era vol 1 MNF vs the stinkin' cowboys, I was in eastern europe with no hope, then it dawned on me to go to the us embassy and asked the marines if they knew of a place. every last one of them was a cowboy fan, they knew of a sports bar that played soccer games, that had a channel that would play the game on SAT delay tuesday night, we all agreed not to read the paper and go and watch the game together. Tuesday night, the marines didn't show, typical cowboy fans, must of read the paper, so I was left alone to communicate to a bar of soccer fans who spoke a strange language why we should watch an american football game. somehow I did it, I watched the game alone to techno music. Skins win. :D

Nothing nearly as extreme as Chemical gear (I swear that will take the cake!)

But when I lived in Hawaii before the dawn of DTV and NFL Sunday Ticket, I used to have to go down to the local sports bar on Saturday night and beg the owner to open up the next morning at the crack of dawn so I could catch the early games. Nothing like beer and peanuts for breakfast!

Originally posted by denverdan

Does your wife know about your shania twain obsession?

Of course she does. She even won backstage passes for me a couple years ago...

Many times she has told me Shania can have me if she wants (she's such a great, understanding wife :D )

She's ready to leave me for Tom Brady anyway (maybe someday she'll get me tickets to the Super Bowl???)

Archived