Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What I love about this draft

method man

There are so many gems everywhere! This draft is not chock full of blue-chip guys but it has many sleeprs who will likely become pro bowlers in the NFL. Unlike other drafts, it is much easier to cull out the non-lottery players who will, for sure, become future pro bowlers in the NFL.

1. Mark Clayton- very polished receiver who will follow the path of boldin and the other clayton and make an impact right away. he is a great route runner with exceptional hands who will make multiple pro bowls if he can overcome his height problem... at the very least he will be a borderline pro bowler ala steve smith.

2. Matt Roth- complete underrated defensive end... excellent natural pass rusher, great technique, fiery leader, loves to stop the run, excellent motor... this is the type of guy who will get picked in the mid-first and lower-first round who will make GMs with top 10 picks cry for not taking him. mark my words. this guy will be an excellent pro

3. Ben Wilkerson- very underrated center who will probably end up getting picked in the third round. this is a guy who will stick around the NFL as a starting center for 10 seasons and may eventually develop into a pro bowler. if the team that picks him needs him to start right away, wilkerson will do an impressive job in his rookie year

4. Khalif Barnes- underrated left tackle who will probably get picked in the 2nd round. the reason this guy will slip is becuase his skool's PR department sucks. khalif has excellent feet and is great at pulling on traps. some experts who are looking at the gems are comparing this kid to rob gallery. When Roth was asked to describe the best OL he played against in the senior bowl, he said that barnes dominated him

list goes on and on... post more of these types of prospects that you have noticed

Agreed, I think there will be some very good offensive linemen dropping to the third and fourth round. (Good news for the skins)

13. Nick Kazcur Offensive Tackle Toledo 6-5, 305 From Canada, A smaller quick tackle, 2 time all conference Offensive lineman. 2 carries of 23 yards and 26 yards. (probably shifted to guard-too bad we don't have a 5th rounder)

Ben Wilkerson, 6-4, 300, LSU - Projected -2nd-5th round-

An injury seems to have caused Wilkerson’s stock to drop some. Early he was rated as a second round pick. Lately he is rated from anywhere in the third round to the fifth round.

(6-4, 297, estimated 5.28 40 time)

Positives: Possesses good athletic ability for a center. Can pull and does a great job of making blocks in space. Is fundamentally sound and is a very intelligent player. Has been an outstanding college football player.

Negatives: Only has average strength and will struggle to hold his own against some of the stronger, more physical defensive tackles. May have an injury concern with one of his knees.

Overall analysis: Ben Wilkerson is an excellent center who should be picked within the first two rounds of the 2005 NFL Draft. Wilkerson moved into Louisiana State’s starting lineup in 2001 and started in 9 contests. He started in 10 games as a sophomore, missing his team’s bowl game with a back injury, and started in all 14 games as a junior. Despite the fact that he’s shown good durability over that time frame, Wilkerson does have some problems with one of his knees and that could be a concern for NFL scouts. Wilkerson is a very good athlete for a center. He does a nice job of pulling and blocking in space. He knows blocking angles, possesses good footwork and uses his hands well. He is also a super-smart player who makes all the line calls and understands the nuances of playing on the offensive line. Other than the possible problem with his knee, the only other real knock on Wilkerson is that he lacks top strength. Overall Wilkerson is an excellent football player who has an outside chance of being a first round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft. http://www.thapack.com/draft_2004_initial_center.htm

www.rimingtontrophy.com/ 2004_co-winner_ben_wilkerson.htm

6-4, Sr.

Experience: 3L

Hemphill, Texas

Hemphill HS

Birthday: 11/22/82

Major: business administration

1. 2003 Rimington Trophy Finalist

2003 Second-Team All-America (Associated Press, Sporting News)

2003 First-Team All-SEC (AP, ESPN.com)

2003 SEC Academic Honor Roll

2001 Freshman All-SEC (Knoxville News-Sentinel, Coaches)

2001 Second-Team Freshman All-America (The Sporting News)

Returns as LSU’s starting center for the fourth season ... Rated as one of the nation's top centers ... Named a preseason All-America at center by several publications ... Earned Second-Team All-America honors at center from the Associated Press and ESPN.com in 2003 ... Called the quickest lineman in the SEC by the Sporting News in its preseason college football issue for the second straight year ... Has started 33 games at center for the Tigers over the last two years and LSU is 27-6 in those games ... Solid all-around game ... Makes good decisions and checks on the offensive line ... Possesses good footwork, great technique and will finish his career as one of the most dominating centers to ever wear an LSU uniform ... Very smart player who is mature beyond his years.

2. JUNIOR SEASON (2003)

One of the nation's top centers ... Named one of six finalists for the Rimington Award in 2003, which goes to college football's top center ... Named Second-Team All-America by the Sporting News and the Associated Press ... Named First-Team All-SEC at center by AP and ESPN.com ... Started all 14 games for the Tigers ... Saw action in 991 plays, the second-most of any player on the team ... Allowed only three sacks and called for just three penalties all year ... In 991 snaps, was marked down for just 10 bad snaps ... Went from week seven to the Sugar Bowl with only three bad snaps ... Had 13 pancakes and 87 knockdowns for the Tigers.

SOPHOMORE SEASON (2002)

Started 10-of-13 games for the Tigers in 2002 ... Sat out the Cotton Bowl with a back injury ... Snapped on field goals and PATs as well ... Missed The Citadel and Miami (Ohio) games with a combination knee/ankle injury ... Extremely smart and gifted player ... Named to the SEC Good Works Team ... Played 620 snaps in 2002 and did not allow a sack all season ... Had only three bad snaps all year and was whistled for just three penalties.

TRUE FRESHMAN SEASON (2001)

True freshman who won the starting role at center for the Tigers ... Named Second-Team Freshman All-America by the Sporting News and earned Freshman All-SEC honors by both the AP and the Coaches ... Emerged as LSU’s starting center vs. Kentucky when injuries forced Rob Sale to move from center to right guard ... Played well enough to keep the position ... Started final nine games of the season for the Tigers, including the Sugar Bowl ... LSU posted an 8-1 mark with Wilkerson starting at center ... Also snapped on PAT and FG attempts ... In all, played in 11 games with nine starts.

HIGH SCHOOL

Called by many as the top offensive line prospect in America ... Named All-American by Parade, USA Today, Rivals.com, Superprep, ESPN, and The Sporting News ... Rated as the No. 21 overall prospect in the nation by Tom Lemming of ESPN.com ... Recorded 121 pancake blocks as a senior and graded out at over 95 percent for the year ... Helped team averaged 399 rushing yards a contest and 9.2 yards per carry ... Listed as the No. 16 prep prospect according to SuperPrep ... Rated among Max Emfinger’s top 125 national prospects as well as the Dallas Morning News’ top 100 for the nation ... Member of Dave Campbell’s Texas Super Team ... Earned first team All-District, All-County and All-State honors ... Coached by Larry Upshaw.

PERSONAL

Full name is Benjamin Lorenza Wilkerson ... Goes by Ben ... Born November 22, 1982 in Port Arthur, Texas ... Parents are Charles and Vermykia Proctor ... Has four brothers, Demarcus, Charles, Trey and Celvin and three sisters, Brandi, Diamond, and Allanah ... Favorite book is Shakespeare's Othello ... Wears #55 because that's the same number his grandfather wore during his prep days at Hemphill High ... Majoring in general studies.

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/Profiles/benwilkersonprofile.htm

Positives

- Possesses good athletic ability for a center. Can pull and does a great job of making blocks in space. Is fundamentally sound and is a very intelligent player. Has been an outstanding college football player

Weaknesses

-Only has average strength and will struggle to hold his own against some of the stronger, more physical defensive tackles. May have an injury concern with one of his knees.

Overall Analysis

Ben Wilkerson is an excellent center who should be picked within the first two rounds of the 2005 NFL Draft. Wilkerson moved into Louisiana State’s starting lineup in 2001 and started in 9 contests. He started in 10 games as a sophomore, missing his team’s bowl game with a back injury, and started in all 14 games as a junior. Despite the fact that he’s shown good durability over that time frame, Wilkerson does have some problems with one of his knees and that could be a concern for NFL scouts. Wilkerson is a very good athlete for a center. He does a nice job of pulling and blocking in space. He knows blocking angles, possesses good footwork and uses his hands well. He is also a super-smart player who makes all the line calls and understands the nuances of playing on the offensive line. Other than the possible problem with his knee, the only other real knock on Wilkerson is that he lacks top strength. Overall Wilkerson is an excellent football player who has an outside chance of being a first round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft.

Injury information

http://www.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/103104abo.html

LSU center Wilkerson out for season with knee injury

Senior had started 41 games in career

1. Oct. 31, 2004

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - LSU center Ben Wilkerson will miss the remainder of the 2004 season with a ruptured tendon in his left knee.

Wilkerson was injured in the fourth quarter of LSU's 24-7 win over Vanderbilt on Saturday. He was expected to have surgery to repair the patella tendon on Monday. Wilkerson, a senior, has started 41 games at LSU and is one of the top centers in the country.

Originally posted by brandies

Agreed, I think there will be some very good offensive linemen dropping to the third and fourth round. (Good news for the skins)

13. Nick Kazcur Offensive Tackle Toledo 6-5, 305 From Canada, A smaller quick tackle, 2 time all conference Offensive lineman. 2 carries of 23 yards and 26 yards. (probably shifted to guard-too bad we don't have a 5th rounder)

---------

That is the main reason I believe we must trade down and get that 2nd pick back. Plus if by some miracle Gardner gets us a second we would be in great shape. I know Baas didn't do himself a favor in the senior ball but I still think because he can play both Center and OG he would be a steal with a second pick. Still I say we pick Troy Williamson with our number one (after we trade down).

Troy Williamson has not proven as much as Clayton. I say trade down to the twenties and take clayton. I think we would have to make a choice between clayton and roth. I would take clayton because bill swancutt (motor, pass rusher, fiery leader, etc.) is similar to roth and we could get him in the 3rd round

Originally posted by method man

There are so many gems everywhere! This draft is not chock full of blue-chip guys but it has many sleeprs who will likely become pro bowlers in the NFL.

The problem though is Vinny Cerrato.

The odds of finding a petrified dinosaur pecker are greater, then Vinny bug-eyes :yikes: finding a sleeper or gem in the draft. :laugh:

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

The problem though is Vinny Cerrato.

The odds of finding a petrified dinosaur pecker are greater, then Vinny bug-eyes :yikes: finding a sleeper or gem in the draft. :laugh:

I will send you a petrified diosaur pecker to your asylum. Out here they are common. Most drink at the 4 Aces bar.

Originally posted by method man

Troy Williamson has not proven as much as Clayton. I say trade down to the twenties and take clayton. I think we would have to make a choice between clayton and roth. I would take clayton because bill swancutt (motor, pass rusher, fiery leader, etc.) is similar to roth and we could get him in the 3rd round

-----

Can't say Clayton has not shown a huge capability but I have a problem with his size. Troy is huge compared to him and is faster. I think its the better safe choice with more upside.

Wilkerson is regarded as the best center in the draft, his stock fell due to injury, so many mocks have him in the 3rd round behind Vince Carter. If we somehow get a 2nd rounder and Wilkerson is available, we'd be stupid not to go for it. Supposedly he doesnt have the upper body strength to fight off some of the larger tackles and may get pushed, but he can work on that.

There is also Richie Incognito, kicked off of Nebraska's team. He has huge problems, but has great athletic ability and upside, he may fall into the 4th round, if we take our chance then, he cna be plugged in at guard and offer some nice nastyness, so long as we can stabilize him.

the part i love about wilkerson is that he is super smart and makes really good line calls. i can see this helping portis quite a bit next season. i dont think wilkerson will be a kevin mawae or an olin kreutz but he will be a guy who can start for us for the next decade

I agree that Williamson has more upside than Clayton but I am kind of leery that Williamson is being a bit overhyped now. I agree that clayton is like coles but remember that coles has become a possession receiver bcause of his toe and clayton would be our deep threat.

That is what sucks about this draft. We have a top 10 pick. A draft full of "gems" does us no good. Nobody worth trading up for, and nobody worth taking. Thats why you will be very lucky to land Braylon or Mike.

For Center I like the guy from Michagan. Bass.

i wouldn't draft any C in this years draft before the 3rd round.

the one guy i am really looking forward to a pro transition is Marcus Johnson OT/OG Ole Miss. i think this guy is gonne be nasty. he's started almost 60 straight games since his freshman year mostly at RG, some at RT. he's got great size, strengh, and smarts, and his feet/balance/leverage are very good enabling him to play T. watch out for him. his stock is rising (especially after a solid SR Bowl) and he should be gone by the mid-2nd round, about the same time Baas gets drafted.

another player to look out for:

Barrett Ruud MLB Nebraska. I know he's not a guy we need but he'll end up being a very good pro player. He's got good size and speed, plays tough, can take on and shed a block, is smart enough to diagnose a play and get to the point of attack. This guy is gonna be a steal for some team in the middle of the second round. I was very glad to see he also had a productive Sr. Bowl and definitely bumped his stock up a round or so!

Archived