Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bettis...UFA...Makes you say "Oh My"

skinsbosoxheels

I think he is trying to go out on top of his game. Only rationale I can think of. However, in this day and age, people don't really do that anymore. At the same time, "top of the game" seems to extend itself for certain players...

Originally posted by ramseyskins

Take out the "i" in "Bettis" and you have Betts.

Eh, didn't mean it as a pun or anything, since Bettis is a team player by all means.

Betts is no Bettis. Bettis is a 260 pound monster. He defines smashmouth football, Betts does not.

Originally posted by Die Hard

He's the heart and soul of that team. He's not going anywhere.

Gut feeling is though... he'll retire.

Agreed on him not leaving Pitt.

But I think he will be back to add some yardage to his total.

And oh yeah, maybe try and get a ring. :)

Originally posted by HeHateMe

Agreed on him not leaving Pitt.

But I think he will be back to add some yardage to his total.

And oh yeah, maybe try and get a ring. :)

If you saw/heard his interview after the game... it didn't sound like he was coming back. Just something I saw in his eyes.

Of course, the Steelers just lost so that may have something to do with it. But even in the pre-game interview, when he was talking about his pay-cut and reduced role going into this season.... he said it'd be worth it if they won the Super Bowl... but that he'd only want to come back if he could contribute as he did this year.

All the while, I think he understands this year he was the beneficiary of Duce's injury. And it's unlikely he'll get the same opportunity next season.

I respect the guy though. I hope he comes back... I think he has a role. I just don't see it.

If you saw/heard his interview after the game... it didn't sound like he was coming back. Just something I saw in his eyes.

Of course, the Steelers just lost so that may have something to do with it. But even in the pre-game interview, when he was talking about his pay-cut and reduced role going into this season.... he said it'd be worth it if they won the Super Bowl... but that he'd only want to come back if he could contribute as he did this year.

All the while, I think he understands this year he was the beneficiary of Duce's injury. And it's unlikely he'll get the same opportunity next season.

I respect the guy though. I hope he comes back... I think he has a role. I just don't see it.

Its a toss up, I agree.

But of course, the emotion of the loss takes its toll.

See Brett Favre.

Does anyone doubt he will be back next season?

He will be back.

The drive of another SB run will push him.

And the Steelers have the parts in place.

Bettis knows this.

Just need a little tweaking here and there.

And he will be more than a role player when he comes back.

I think he knows that too.

Give him a couple weeks.

He will be back. :2cents:

He's the heart and soul of that team. He's not going anywhere.

Gut feeling is though... he'll retire.

So true... It's unfortunate cause when I see Bettis I get flashbacks of this being a Gibbs style John Riggins...

i go to school in pittsburgh and i watched some of the players interviews on the news today...

man Bettis is truely the heart and the soul of the team... Hines Ward was in tears i mean seriously crying during the interview from just the thought of Bettis retiring without having a chance to play in the Super Bowl...

i mean if Bettis means that much to players on the Steelers roster there is no way Bettis will leave Pittsburgh to play for another team...

i mean Hines Ward isnt your average Dick Vermil you know.... that guy is one tough dude...

It was reported DURING the game by Pam Oliver that Bettis told her he thought that would be his last game.

He was seriously considering retirement. He knows he only got the chances he did because of Duce going down.

How likely will that be again? And if he left, which team do you think will make it TO the SB next year. Why would he go to a non contender?

Blondie

Originally posted by Gfunk703

Betts is no Bettis. Bettis is a 260 pound monster. He defines smashmouth football, Betts does not.

Of course. I was mainly just trying to say "no, we don't need Bettis right now". Short yardage back yes, Bettis no.

Archived