Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which qb to start a franchise?

pr11fan

Brady, not even close.

If you took Brady and put him on the Colts, they wouldn't be 0-7 in Foxboro that's for sure.

Brady is the man, he is the modern day Montana, Manning is the modern day Marino, all stats, all ego, no rings. Me, I like jewelry, I'll take the guy with the rings :)

Originally posted by pr11fan

Stokely no, but Wayne is legit. Edge is still awesome, Brady has 2 rings with skill players like Troy Brown, Patten, Givens, & A. Smith at rb. Not quite what Manning has to work with.

Yes, but they won because of great coaching/defense, not Brady and his skill players. Manning gets well into the playoffs with no defense.

quote:

Originally posted by schillis

How about the QB leading the best team in The NFC to the Super Bowl Donovan McNabb. I'll take him, if everything else breaks down he can pull it down and run. GO EAGLES! Victory is sweet

No thanks, I'll take Brady with 2 rings over a guy who couldn't get to the sb until the nfc has 2 8-8 teams make the playoffs.

I would still take McNabb, and this year he became the first QB to throw 30+ TD's and less than 10 interceptions. He also broke Joe Montana's record for consecutive completions. Anyway, there is no need in Philly for a dream of a great QB, we already have one. I like Ramsey, hopefully he works out for you guys. Being an Eagles fan, its hard for me to like any Deadskins, but If I had to pick one it would be Ramsey. Go Birds!!!:dallasuck

Originally posted by CrazyZeb

Yes, but they won because of great coaching/defense, not Brady and his skill players. Manning gets well into the playoffs with no defense.

True but Brady hung 34 offensive points on the #1 statistical defense in the nfl yesterday so it's not like he got 10 and held on for a 10-7 victory against that Steeler D, I admit it was like that for his 1st sb win against the rams, but since Brady has emerged as one of the better passers in the league and is perfectly capable of leading a high scoring offense if need be imo.

True but Brady hung 34 offensive points on the #1 statistical defense in the nfl yesterday so it's not like he got 10 and held on for a 10-7 victory against that Steeler D, I admit it was like that for his 1st sb win against the rams, but since Brady has emerged as one of the better passers in the league and is perfectly capable of leading a high scoring offense if need be imo.

No doubt, Brady's definitely proven himself. I wouldn't be upset if he was our QB. :) I'd still take Manning.

Brady has hung some pretty big points on some good defenses so it isn't all the defense carrying him like it was Dilfer in B-more. Manning has a damn good coaching staff around him, far better skill position players than Brady and he still can't get it done against the great defenses.

Colts losses don't hang solely on the shoulders of Peyton Manning. If they had a better defense, one that could've ended some those long, sustaining drives the Pats had. The Colts could've had more time on the field to make something happen.

Furthermore, Belicheck and co. outcoach Dungy and co. nearly everytime.

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

Colts losses don't hang solely on the shoulders of Peyton Manning. If they had a better defense, one that could've ended some those long, sustaining drives the Pats had. The Colts could've had more time on the field to make something happen.

Furthermore, Belicheck and co. outcoach Dungy and co. nearly everytime.

I won't argue the coaching part, but Manning put up 3 against the Pats in the playoffs, there is no defense on earth that could've saved him that day.

I won't argue the coaching part, but Manning put up 3 against the Pats in the playoffs, there is no defense on earth that could've saved him that day.

Yeah, and who held him to 3? The Patriots great defense! :laugh: Basically, this debate just goes in circles, there's no real way of telling who would do better where. :)

Brady was feeling no defensive pressure, and Cowher and co. were simply outcoached from start to finish. I'm not trying to diminish what Brady did, but let's not act like Brady did that all by himself. He hasn't had the odds stacked aganist him as Manning has, nor does he make the type of adjustments and call his own plays the way Manning does. Manning is just the better quarterback, Brady has the better team. The two shouldn't be confused.

Everyone keeps bring up Brady's rings. Is he a better QB than Marino, since he has more rings than him too?

Originally posted by Mackydootz

Can't believe I'm saying it considering the numbers Culpepper and Manning put up, but W's is the bottom line. Brady gets 'em so Brady gets my vote.

Number mean exactly Jacksquat in my book. Some guys put up numbers, other guys win. We ought to know more about that than most, we always seem to have guys put up good numbers but it never seems to equate to wins.

Originally posted by jrfriedm

Brady just wins, but Manning is by far the better passer.

You CLEARLY don't watch Tom Brady play. He throws a better deep ball, is just as accurate, just as good touch, just as strong. Everything else Brady is BETTER at. Mobility, pocket presence, intangibles, ability to deal with pressure, etc.

Brady wins because of his coaches if he is so good would he win if he played for the Colts?? No he wouldn't. It's like Phil Jackson if he is the greatest coach then go win a Championship with the worst team. When you have the best players it's a lot easier to win. Brady is nice but he gets too much credit for that great defense.

Originally posted by Jay Master Jay

Brady wins because of his coaches if he is so good would he win if he played for the Colts?? No he wouldn't. It's like Phil Jackson if he is the greatest coach then go win a Championship with the worst team. When you have the best players it's a lot easier to win. Brady is nice but he gets too much credit for that great defense.

But again, my intial question wasn't who is a better qb, granted it has gone that way I should've known it would, but it's who do you start a franchise with taking into account all factors, contracts are a factor, you have more money free to build up other areas of your team with Brady than you do with Manning, maybe Brady is or isn't a product of the system but he is affordable enough to be able afford the rest of the players to make that system work, with Manning that probably isn't possible.

I think this sez it all

From Page 2....

January 24, 2004

so here's an e-mail from Brendon in Dover, NH.

In your Championship Game preview column, you gave the award for strangest game plan to the Colts, criticizing Manning for not throwing deep or changing their game plan. I think you're missing something. It's not that the Manning didn't want to go deep, it's that he can't. I think the problem with Manning is that he just CAN'T do the wrong thing. He CAN'T throw deep to a covered guy when there's a shorter pattern open. He CAN'T make the "wrong"" throw, even if it's potentially more beneficial. He's spent years becoming the perfect quarterback, to the point where he's incapable of deviating from the script. He just can't think outside the box. I've been trying to think of a good analogy for this, and the best I can come up with is this:

You know all those sci-fi books/TV shows/movies where a human outsmarts the computer by doing something completely irrational that doesn't make any sense to the computer and causes it to freeze up? Manning's the computer. It's like something out of a Kurt Vonnegut novel. When he drops back, and see's a fullback uncovered in the flat, all he sees is an open receiver. He can't make the leap and see that throwing to the open reciever is what they want you to do, cause it's going to come up short of the first down. He can't see the bigger picture. He has to make the "right" throw in the context of every given play, regardless of wether it's the right throw in the greater sceme of things. He can't comprehend that sometimes a 10% chance at a 50 yard gain is occasionally better than a 100% chance at a 5 yard gain.

That's why the Colts will never beat the Pats. Because Belichick is willing to sacrifice the proverbial pawn to set up checkmate down the road. He'll keep things in the tank against a bad team, even at the risk of losing, so he'll still have that brilliant move for the important game. The Colts can't do that. Their inability to occasionally do the incorrect thing is their achilles heel.

Archived