Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the Pats a legendary team or....

NoCalMike

Originally posted by TenaciousB15

Well by refrencing that topic, I thought I was making it clear that what I was saying was absolutely silly. What with trying to dimiss them with stupid things like bad ref calls, luck or other things that they have no control over. As to avoid giving them any type of credit.

Well then stop being so dense about it. The only times people talk about the calls are when they DO matter, not in instances of complete domination.

Your team dominated the Falcons today, there is no question. I saw a very well officiated game as well, although the game was pretty unwatchable.

However (as a small example) when TO pushes off on Springs and Springs is called for pass interference, and when the NFL ADMITS that it was a bad call, then it is not "absolutely silly", but rather quite relevant. So stop whining about other people's whining :laugh:

I know but it general people do. People do get on the patriots about holding and stuff still. I think the worst call of the game, was a "blow to the head" of mike vick. Vick was slapped in the facemask pretty much by Sam Rayburn, and they got a free 15 yards when it would have been third and long, and that was the one drive when they got their only td. Vick didn't even act like it phased him.

That sort of stuff gets me. Like in the Jets/chargers game. Although that blow to the head call was legitement. It was a real blow. You have to let people play football. His blow to Brees head had absolutely no effect on where the ball was thrown or anything, and it had a dramatic on the game. I can see enforcing it more in the regular season to get guys into the habit of not doing it, but not in that situation in the playoffs.

I was screaming at the tv. If they are gonna give us the 15 yards, stop the football game. Then let Sam Rayburn, one of the strongest players on the team, take a real shot at Vick's head, and earn the penalty.

I know but it general people do. People do get on the patriots about holding and stuff still. I think the worst call of the game, was a "blow to the head" of mike vick. Vick was slapped in the facemask pretty much by Sam Rayburn, and they got a free 15 yards when it would have been third and long, and that was the one drive when they got their only td. Vick didn't even act like it phased him.

That sort of stuff gets me. Like in the Jets/chargers game. Although that blow to the head call was legitement. It was a real blow. You have to let people play football. His blow to Brees head had absolutely no effect on where the ball was thrown or anything, and it had a dramatic on the game. I can see enforcing it more in the regular season to get guys into the habit of not doing it, but not in that situation in the playoffs.

I was screaming at the tv. If they are gonna give us the 15 yards, stop the football game. Then let Sam Rayburn, one of the strongest players on the team, take a real shot at Vick's head, and earn the penalty.

When I was watching the Jets/Chargers game and the ref announced the penalty for roughing the passer, I said this had better be a pretty egregious foul to earn that penalty in that situation.

And you know what? It was. The guy threw a forearm at Brees' noggin. I mean, it's not like the referee had any choice there. You can not allow players to do that to QBs or to players in any other position.

Football is a physical game, but there is no reason to add any more risk of injury, especially to QBs, who already take a pounding during the normal flow of a game.

Um. So who is complaining now?

He hit Vick's facemask right? Similar to how, on one of the Eagles' TD drives, the drive was continued after the same type of contact was delivered from a Falcon CB to a Eagle WR? And this penalty was 3 and 10... directly allowing the Eagles to score.

I don't think you should even start this, because there are a ton of examples in Redskins games that surpass this supposed injustice towards your team.

Like how the eagles got called for eagle shifts TWICE, and people were complaining about that call in the redskins/gb game, that apparently never ever gets called?

I've said it all along. The good teams win despite these things. Thus everyone overlooks the fact that they have their fair share of bad calls as well. Just like when a coach makes a bad discision, or a qb makes a bad throw, but they overcome it. Donovan nearly through a pick today, but rightfully so, it doesn't matter becuase they won.

Originally posted by IbleedBurgundy&Gold

Frauds? Are you sure you want to make that statement and stick by it? It's fine with me, I just thought you might want to retract it lest you get the reputation of having no idea what the hell you are talking about. Either that or back it up, and you'll have to better than talking about the refs.

Did it ever occur to you that the other team plays poorly against the Pats because the Pats force them to play that way?

:laugh:

Telling it like it is... oh man. The patsies are Truly a great team. Look at what they've become as opposed to what they use to be.

obviously in N.E. this Era of patriots are Legendary, and I'd say if they take care of business against the iggles(they will) they will be legendary. This machine of a team doesn't have any flaws and pretty soon your going to get the same tree branch organizational chart off belicheck as you get with walsh. Cause as long as they operate like this, every lousy team out there is going to be looking to get rid of their over rated coach (Turner, B.Davis,and Mora) and pick up an apprentice of belicheck...

I love how this is a supposedly superstarless team.

Brady is a first ballot hall of famer if he wins this game.

8-0 in the postseason.

How anyone can question the greatness of this team is beyond me. If they win, the record books close and the rest of thier careers are gravy.

The Pats are on course to set the standard by which all great teams are measured.

As of right now though, they haven't done anything that the Cowboys, Redskins or 49ers didn't do in their romps through the league. The Steelers and Dolphins of the 70's are also in the mix.

Too early to tell IMO. Wait a few years. Especially after Bellicheck(sp) has to teach his new coaching staff his little knacks.

The Pats are a hard team to classify. Certainly winning 3 out of 4 (foregone conclusion, Eagle fans? :) ) is a fabulous achievment, and earns the team the right to be called the best of their time.

My problem with stamping them as legendary or great is that they just don't have a dominant feel about them - they just win (not that I wouldn't mind saying that about the Redskins). As has been pointed out, winning Super Bowls on last-second FGs is hardly the stuff of dominance. If not for the Tuck Rule, we may not even be having this conversation. I expect more from greatness.

As far as the Pats organization, my feeling is that they struck gold on a sixth-round pick. The ascension of the Patriots DIRECTLY and PRECISELY coincides with Brady's insertion (due to injury, mind you) into the starting lineup. Before that, they were an awful team with a head coach of demonstrated futility (career regular season record of 41-57). Losing Weis hurts them much more than Crennel - it's hard to imagine that Belichick doesn't have a substantial input into the defense, both in planning and calling.

The Patriots are the class of the league right now. They are a dynasty and the coranation will be in two weeks when they swat aside the Eagles like lent on their shoulders.

Patriots are the dynasty of this decade and Corey Dillion, Brady, Bruschi and Mcginest are Hall of Fame bound.

They win 3 out of 4 they have to ranked right up there. They are like Lennox Lewis in Boxing. The guy has beaten every single opponent he faced, but still gets no respect. The Pats have dominated for the last three years. There comes a point when you have to say, they did all that they could.

but........:patriotsu

They win the 3rd SB and they are a definate legendary team...

I dont care if they win every SB by 1 point a win is a win is a win...

This Pats team kinda reminds me of the Gibbs Redskin teams of the 80's and early 90's...They are workman like if not dull, The coach is soft spoken and uncomfortable in the spotlight, They play hard/smart, are very physical and are well coached, the D isnt one of the top ranked in the league but they are smart, physical, and always show up big in big games...The offense is an efficient one that relies on the run...

I just cant get over how similar they are to those old Skins teams of the 80's/90's...

Originally posted by jtyler42

They win the 3rd SB and they are a definate legendary team...

I dont care if they win every SB by 1 point a win is a win is a win...

This Pats team kinda reminds me of the Gibbs Redskin teams of the 80's and early 90's...They are workman like if not dull, The coach is soft spoken and uncomfortable in the spotlight, They play hard/smart, are very physical and are well coached, the D isnt one of the top ranked in the league but they are smart, physical, and always show up big in big games...The offense is an efficient one that relies on the run...

I just cant get over how similar they are to those old Skins teams of the 80's/90's...

Yeah, Belichick has turned into a Gibbs clone. The biggest difference is that Gibbs never had a QB as good as Brady in big games but won anyway. Belichick was on his way to sub .500 mediocrity before Bledsoe got hurt when the team was 0-2 in 2001 after finishing 5-11 the previous season. I dont think any team has ever turned it around based almost exclusively on one player like the Pats seem to have. It will be interesting to see how they do when Brady misses most of a season to injury.

I think they've earned the status of a great team, especially if they win in 2 weeks.

....(soon to be) 3 super bowls....

....longest win streak....

....undefeated in playoffs....

What else do they need to do the be classified as great?

And they're doing this in the much tougher Conference.

Archived