Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which Fox Annoucner would you rather have Kicked off?

skin_finatic

Baldinger is the lowest of the low (maybe even worse than Madden). He tries to sound like Matt Millen used to when he (unfortunately) did games for Fox. Just an awful know-nothing. He makes me pine for Bill Maas, whom I used to think was the worst. I can't believe Baldinger has a job in broadcasting.

Get rid of Buck first. Baldinger provides amusement. When the camera pans on him, and Kenny Albert is talking Baldy is just so excited to start talking. He starts smiling and getting these tics. Plus with Baldinger we get the added luxury of being able to see Kenny's misshaped head.

Its not going to be Buck.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/510/5183391.html

Fox won't pull the plug on Buck

Kevin Seifert and Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune

January 13, 2005 RED0113

It all makes sense ... in the theater of the absurd.

To summarize on Day Four of Moongate (that national sensation introduced by Randy Moss' wiggling rear end): Vikings owner Red McCombs demanded Wednesday that Fox television remove Moss' chief critic from its announcing team for Sunday's divisional playoff game against Philadelphia.

Executives for Fox, the bastion of entertainment integrity that brought "Who's Your Daddy?" to America's living room, feigned journalistic outrage and promised that play-by-play announcer Joe Buck would call the game.

"I find it all very unfortunate," Fox Sports President Ed Goren said. "Joe Buck is a three-time Emmy award-winning announcer. He's one of the classiest young men in all of broadcasting, and any organization would be proud of Joe Buck working for them. I'm sorry it has evolved to this.

Did Joe Buck intentionally skew public perception of Randy Moss' TD celebration?"We should be talking about a football game on Sunday and nothing more. That's been our approach all along."

Buck, who has parlayed his fame into starring roles in beer advertisements, could not be reached for comment but was said to be surprised that McCombs had taken such a dramatic stance.

In an interview Monday, Buck said, "I would have been ashamed of myself and disappointed if I didn't say something. ... It was [Moss'] decision to do that, and my job is to react pretty much as things happen."

Sunday, Buck called Moss' pantomimed mooning of Lambeau Field "disgusting" on the air and, later in interviews, suggested he was most upset by what he thought was Moss rubbing his backside against the goalpost. In a letter faxed Wednesday to Fox, McCombs said Buck "carried a prejudice that surpassed objective reporting."

"His discussion of what happened doesn't follow the film," McCombs said in an interview. "He talked about mooning the crowd and then the second action that's been discussed. I've watched the film 100 times, and I can't figure out what he saw.

"If he's going to talk about that, he better have his fact straight. He should know that Randy had been carrying on a conversation with the people at Lambeau for the whole game. It had to do with mooning, not the other thing. So [buck] is entitled to elaborate on what Randy did, but he should know the facts of what's going on and describe them accurately if he's going to do that."

McCombs admitted Moss' celebration "was in bad taste" but said Buck intentionally skewed the public perception of it.

"I regret it happened," McCombs said. "I've said so many times. But I don't think the public got a real fair discussion on what happened. That's just my take."

In the day's upset, Moss proved the most level-headed observer.

"I heard about it already, and I don't have any comment," Moss said as he departed Winter Park.

Goren, meanwhile, said he was "blindsided" by McCombs' missive and that he contacted NFL officials. A league spokesman said the issue is between the Vikings and the network.

Goren said he never considered replacing Buck and had no problem with a play-by-play man voicing a strong opinion.

"Analysis is about the flow of the game, the strategy of the game," he said. "That's what analysis is. We're asked to comment on the spot as broadcasters. We only get one take. We're live, and sometimes it's not analysis. You're reacting to the moment. ... What would people have liked us to say?"

Fox is paying the NFL $550 million in a contract that runs through 2005, and it recently signed a six-year extension worth $4.3 billion to continue televising the NFC package.

Goren insisted -- "Honest to goodness," he said -- that his network had no plans to discuss Moongate during its upcoming broadcast of the Vikings-Eagles game Sunday. Conveniently for an industry built on viewer ratings, McCombs' demands likely will change that stance.

"We were ready to move on after the final gun," Goren said. "We're not looking to perpetuate this story. We're looking forward to a great weekend of football."

Playing at a theater ... of the absurd ... near you.

I do enjoy Kenny Albert's misshapen head, but I like Joe Buck and really like Troy Aikman (I can't believe I said that). Baldinger never seems to really grasp what's going on on the field, makes too many factual errors (a la George Michael) and feels the need to talk when he has absolutely nothing to say. He's the gold standard for NFL broadcast incompetance.

The Buck, Aikman, Collinsworth team is the best in the pro game.

Buck is the best play by play guy there is, if overreacting to Randy Moss' mooning is the worst gaffe he has, just try to remember Jimmy the Greek. I can't believe im praising a Cowboy, but Aikman is great. Collinworth is a d^ck. He is the king of hindsight. If a pass is thrown incomplete, he's the first one saying what the team SHOULD have done, after he gets the opportunity to see what defense is called. He is also the first one to jump on guys for mistakes like penalties. Dude, at least Aikman is a Hall of Famer, you're just a bitter a-hole. And you have an obnoxious voice, AND your head is shaped like Beaker's from the muppets.

Originally posted by Blondie

EXCUSE ME???

What the heck does THAT mean?

Women don't know football?

Whatever.

:rolleyes:

I believe I have proven over the last years I have been here that THIS woman knows football.

Blondie

there is a woman that does college games on ESPN that knows the players better than most of the men commentators.

College has a lot of good and knowledgable commentators, which is why I can't figure out why the Fox can't find anyone better.

What is wrong with you people??? Bill Maas is the biggest moron of them all, I can't believe he's not on this list... he's a joke... I mean honestly I think he may have a serious learning disability... he says some of the stupidest things on air that I've ever seen... Baldinger runs a second but Maas runs away with this award folks

Originally posted by SkinsCrunkin

What is wrong with you people??? Bill Maas is the biggest moron of them all, I can't believe he's not on this list... he's a joke... I mean honestly I think he may have a serious learning disability... he says some of the stupidest things on air that I've ever seen... Baldinger runs a second but Maas runs away with this award folks

Maas seems to be even more slanted against the'Skins then Baldinger.

I want my vote back. The worst is definitely John Madden. 2 reasons:

1)he's an idiot

2)he made it so that networks now hire other idiots like Maas and Baldinger.

Every game i watch, its like Madden is the drunk guy in the bar trying to explain football to women and/or people from another country. It takes him 3 minutes to make 1 point about how "a mobile quarterback adds another dimension to an offense" Yeah John you said that last week, and the week before that. How about some insight from someone who is supposed to have been around the NFL for average Joe Fan instead of dumbing the game down to BOOM and WHAP.

And what do Maas and Baldy do now that you all seem to hate so much.....exactly the same thing. Blame John Madden.

His PS2 game is GRRRRRRREAT though!

Archived