Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Woodson

OrangeSkin

Redskins | Thinking About Woodson - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)

6:45 PT: The Washington Post reports the Washington Redskins may decide after their upcoming minicamp on whether or not they want to make a run after free agent S Rod Woodson (Ravens). Woodson played under defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis in Baltimore the past couple of seasons.

I like how our safeties performed after Kurt and Marty figured out Terrell should be in coverage and Shade should make tackles. I like the concept of adding Woodson if it's done at the league minimum (or veteran minimum that counts as the league minimum) because it would add a Pro Bowl level player who could further solidify an already good secondary. But, more, I'd like to focus our dollars on a couple of lineman first, and address Woodson's potential later if we still want to go that direction.

I think the bigger question is whether Woodson wants to come here. If he thinks the Skins have a chance to win something I could see it happening.

But he is sentimentally tied to the Steelers and Cowher and likely would accept a one year offer to retire as a Steeler and perhaps try to get them over the hump and back to the Super Bowl.

About 10 years ago, the prospects of getting Darrell Green & Rod Woodson in the same secondary would've made my head explode, not unlike the belly of a pregnant ballerina giving birth to Samoan twins.

Now? In 2002??? I don't like these quick-fix remedies. I'd rather use any available cap-space on our own future FAs. Getting a guy like Stephen Davis under a long-term contract is more crucial to our future than handing Rod Woodson his arthritis money.

Let him purchase his rocking chair on someone else's dime.

I would certainly like to improve the safety position but I agree that any decent money that we have left should probably go to interior lineman on both sides of the ball.

I'm not sure how much Woodson wants to come here, as I've heard the Steelers linked with him, but if he is interested in us, we have to listen.

Guest Goatroper

R. Woodson would be a good addition for you. Just think, when you played the Cowboys, you'd have the SECOND-BEST Woodson on the field that day!

Woodson probably still has some great football left in him, but for the life of me I can't get SD's stiffarm outa my head. Talk about making someone yer Beeyatch! That ranks as one of my two favorite plays from the last decade(there are so few worth mentioning). The other opne would be Dan Turk's hit on Deion. The stupified look on Deion's face was classic. "Duh which way did he go"

Originally posted by bulldog

I think the bigger question is whether Woodson wants to come here. If he thinks the Skins have a chance to win something I could see it happening.

If winning now is his priority, the advantage also goes to the Steelers who reached the AFC Championship game last year. I view Woodson as a longshot who we don't really need. Our defense and our team isn't "a safety away". We should focus our FA resources on OG and DT.

Woodson was the starter in the Pro Bowl again for the AFC at Free Safety last year. I don't know if we can continue to expect great levels of performance from him, but, generally speaking, he's not tailed off in his performance at safety yet. Again, at veteran minimum, I'd do this without question. At much more, I'd start raising questions about the soundness of this move.

I think Terrell is better in man coverage than Woodson is at this point and though the man can't tackle real well, he is a solid continuing option at this spot for us.

given the ability of our top 3 corners, we should be getting a LOT more production out of our safeties. Shade and Terrell don't make plays. Game in and game out no fumbles, no interceptions, few passes defensed.

you go and look at one of Darren Woodson's best seasons in D or go back if you are old enough to remember what Ken Houston did here in Washington and you KNOW this pair of current safeties could use a MAJOR upgrade. :)

yes, Terrell has the outside speed to cover receivers. BUT, he lacks the fluidity and comfortability to put himself in good position to make the plays. He hesitates and that negates his major weapon, his ability to cover ground.

Shade is a step slow to say the least. Yes, strong safeties are not usually as fleet of foot as free safeties but Shade has linebacker speed.

The only problem with that is he has double the amount of ground to patrol than the linebackers and less punch to bring to the fight.

Shade IS a better tackler than people give him credit for. But his weakness in terms of speed means he is often caught trailing plays from behind when backs or TE's get to the edge of the defense.

And he just doesn't make up ground even on some rather limited tight ends such as Dan Campbell in NY and Mike Lucky in Dallas.

I think we need to know the Skins future plans for the FS spot.

Was Andre Lott drafted with this in mind? If so then signing a Ron Woodson for a year would be great for his development.

I wouldn't view it purely as a stop gap measure but also as an investment in helping build the future.

We already have a starting FS in David Terrell. Of course he's not a pro-bowler, but safety is not the most important position on the field.

Why sign Woodson to contribute to the development of another youngster who'll probably be on the same level as Terrell in a couple of years? If we are going to sign Woodson, which I strongly oppose, we should only sign him to develop David Terrell into a better safety than he already is.

This would be straight up stupid, because Terrell is already a starter, and it would just stall his development.

Lott can play both safety and cornerback, but CB is his natural position.

From everyting I've read, we're looking for a playmaking safety, one who can make the occasional pick and big tackle.

Well, Lott is not this guy. He lacks size and speed and has average tackling ability, plus he's not really a ballhound, so we could only count on him for 2-3 interceptions a year. Not the ideal fit at safety, and would probably be a downgrade from Terrell.

I am confused as to why we should want to sign a geezer who has probably lost a lot of speed to develop a youngster who'll probably be pretty raw at safety, when we already have a youngster who'll help our secondary out the most in the long run starting at safety.

Woodson reminds me too much of Mark Carrier, a quick fix who won't work out. I suppose he could serve as a tutor for the defense, but come on, it's the defense. It's not nearly as difficult to comprehend as complicated offensive schemes, and we already have plenty of smart capable guys on the squad.

They adjusted from Ray Rhodes to Kurt Schottenheimer pretty damn well as far as I'm concerned, so there is absolutely no need for Woodson in my book.

Woodson, once regarded as the only "complete" corner on a Pro Bowl level, that could jolt a runner and snatch intended passes out of the air. He had speed, quickness, gile, heart and a nose for the football. His hits were of the highlight kind so much for the Pittsburgh Steelers of the early to mid 90's, they were used as training reels. What other fascinating thing could he do. Other than Darrell Green and Deion Sanders, no other corner forced more passes away from himself, yet made play after play when they did pass at him.

The other thing he did was play Safety for the Steelers and even return kickoffs, one for a touchdown. As a safety, he picked up where he was when playing corner. Hard to run against and never letting up on pass coverages. He was a TE's worst nightmare.

When he arrived Baltimore, around the league and among fans, the word was that Woodson had lost steps, not A step. The word was, he had lost his heart and after the surgery and slow recovery, he'd never be the same.

Nothing could have been more wrong.

Much like Bruce and Darrell, Woodson is in the twighlight of his career, but still able to provide aide de camp to a team that needs a solid role player, backup or emergency start. I would do this, to maximze his effectiveness, as I would also do for Bruce Smith. It would also justify the low contract amount and hopefully, he'd understand that the direction is younger, budding players. Then the following year, I'd offer him a coaching job :D

Here's his bio: http://www.nfl.com/players/4568_bios.htm

Just about every article I read that mentions David Terrell, says that he has skills better suited to CB than FS.

With that in mind, would'nt it be better to find a"true" FS and let Terrell and Baumann fight it out for the right to take over from Darrell in the nickle spot in 2003?

Archived