Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

View of Who Will Be Gone

bulldog

1. Gardner - exemplifies Bart Simpson quote of 'underachiever and proud of it'. 4 years and still waiting for a strong 1a or 2 receiver to emerge in uniform #87.

2. Smoot - Smootie says he wants to remain a Skin but my guess is he wants to be paid Ty Law or Champ money based on one season of #1 corner play. A $15 million bonus for Smoot is not in the cards, not with the need to shore up the pass rush from the front four.

3. Matt Bowen - Bowen didn't do anything wrong. He just got hurt and that allowed a group of younger, cheaper players to show the staff they could step up and play. Andre Lott and Ryan Clark have better speed and are better pass defenders than Bowen and Sean Taylor is already there to deliver the big hits.

4. Chad Morton - the addition of Antonio Brown to the active roster for a late season tryout is evidence the staff is looking for a more cost effective (and productive!) option on returns. Morton is listed as a running back but at 180 doesn't have the size or durability to be a factor in the regular offense.

5. Michael Barrow - the Redskins may be tempted to bring Barrow back as insurance for 2005 against a Pierce injury but in the end I think the 35 year old Barrow will be too pricey for a backup and will be cut after June 1.

6. Raymer and Friedman - the Redskins will never be able to work a downfield passing game as long as every decent DT in the NFL is able to hook up for 1-2 sacks against the interior of the line. Raymer and Friedman came to the Redskins as backups and I think that is a fair approximation of what value they currently have. Raymer could be kept as a backup but there may be younger, cheaper options available in the offseason.

7. Darnerian McCants. This one is less a certainty but the fact a guy with a newly extended contract and with players struggling in front of him at WR remained inactive for the first 9 games indicates that somebody on the staff doesn't like him. Coles will return as will Thrash for ST. Jacobs is still cheap on his rookie contract. If we draft or sign a major WR I think Darnerian may be moved.

8. Renaldo Wynn. This is another 50/50 shot. Wynn clearly had a bounce back year from 2003 as he was healthy for the first time since joining the team in 2002. But his salary escalation is enough that the team should be getting a 8 or 9 sack DE out there and Renaldo at 30 is not capable of that type of production vs the pass. He is solid vs the run, however and could be retained as a character vet.

As an epilogue, I think the decision NOT to resign Smoot is an indication the Skins will attempt to rework Samuels' deal to keep him in Washington.

I also expect the team to resign Pierce and bring back role players Salave'a and Evans on the DL.

Originally posted by bulldog

1. Gardner - exemplifies Bart Simpson quote of 'underachiever and proud of it'. 4 years and still waiting for a strong 1a or 2 receiver to emerge in uniform #87.

2. Smoot - Smootie says he wants to remain a Skin but my guess is he wants to be paid Ty Law or Champ money based on one season of #1 corner play. A $15 million bonus for Smoot is not in the cards, not with the need to shore up the pass rush from the front four.

3. Matt Bowen - Bowen didn't do anything wrong. He just got hurt and that allowed a group of younger, cheaper players to show the staff they could step up and play. Andre Lott and Ryan Clark have better speed and are better pass defenders than Bowen and Sean Taylor is already there to deliver the big hits.

4. Chad Morton - the addition of Antonio Brown to the active roster for a late season tryout is evidence the staff is looking for a more cost effective (and productive!) option on returns. Morton is listed as a running back but at 180 doesn't have the size or durability to be a factor in the regular offense.

5. Michael Barrow - the Redskins may be tempted to bring Barrow back as insurance for 2005 against a Pierce injury but in the end I think the 35 year old Barrow will be too pricey for a backup and will be cut after June 1.

6. Raymer and Friedman - the Redskins will never be able to work a downfield passing game as long as every decent DT in the NFL is able to hook up for 1-2 sacks against the interior of the line. Raymer and Friedman came to the Redskins as backups and I think that is a fair approximation of what value they currently have. Raymer could be kept as a backup but there may be younger, cheaper options available in the offseason.

7. Darnerian McCants. This one is less a certainty but the fact a guy with a newly extended contract and with players struggling in front of him at WR remained inactive for the first 9 games indicates that somebody on the staff doesn't like him. Coles will return as will Thrash for ST. Jacobs is still cheap on his rookie contract. If we draft or sign a major WR I think Darnerian may be moved.

8. Renaldo Wynn. This is another 50/50 shot. Wynn clearly had a bounce back year from 2003 as he was healthy for the first time since joining the team in 2002. But his salary escalation is enough that the team should be getting a 8 or 9 sack DE out there and Renaldo at 30 is not capable of that type of production vs the pass. He is solid vs the run, however and could be retained as a character vet.

As an epilogue, I think the decision NOT to resign Smoot is an indication the Skins will attempt to rework Samuels' deal to keep him in Washington.

I also expect the team to resign Pierce and bring back role players Salave'a and Evans on the DL.

Gardner - His chances are "50/50".

Smoot - Looks like he's going to leave the team on bad terms a la Champ Bailey. :puke:

Bowen - Lott and Clark looked very good this year its going to be interesting to see what happens in camp between these 3 for the starting job.

Morton - Gone.

Barrow - Could be cut if we can't resign Pierce, he will definately be retained if Pierce leaves. :puke:

Raymer and Friedman - Gone.

McCants - This all depends on the Gardner situation, if Rod sticks around McCants is gone, if Rod gets traded, it will be a battle in camp for the #2 spot (Jacobs, McCants, Thrash) assuming we don't acquire a FA WR.

Wynn - I'd really like to see him restructure but if he doesn't hes gone as well.

I think you are pretty much on target (if Smoot is asking for a Champ Bailey type deal).

The only 3 I would quibble with is Bowen (he's a good hard hitter and there is nothing wrong with depth at safety), Wynn (kinda.... he'll be here unless we can find a suitable replacement), and Barrow (again he's good and he doesn't cost THAT much. I think he is only gone if this knee problem is permanent).

Skins Guy

1. Gardner - I say demote his ass to a 3rd WR. Bring in a better WR.

2. Smoot - 50/50

3. Matt Bowen - Will be gone it makes no sense to have a guy with a 15 million dollar contract at safety we could get a good Guard or Center

4. Chad Morton - See ya later

5. Michael Barrow - 2.5 Mil signing bonus! the guy is cheap bring him back. We might not get pierce back but with him I'd feel like he'll be safe person to hold on to.

6. Raymer and Friedman - What a pair of bums

7. Darnerian McCants - after the way Jacobs played today and Thrash he is gone.

8.Pierce - 50/50 money money money

9.Wynn - The guy is solid plays the run well but could be gone. This defense doesnt need lineman who rack up 15 sacks.

10. John Hall - Injured and avg kicker

11. Rock Cartwright - Play special teams or you'll be gone

12.Joe Sala'vea - key guy needs to stay but $$$$$$$$$$$$ we have other good back ups

13.Lavar - With Dan you never know 50/50

here's why you're wrong about bowen.

bowen makes plays in ways that ryan clark and all the other safeties don't.

It's as simple as that.

You don't get rid of playmakers, and that's what bowen is.

Bowen and taylor both cause fumbles with thier hits, we need that kind of hard hitting tandem running rampant in the secondary, especially if smoot departs.

Guest Fresh1

1. Gardner - see ya buddy

2. Smoot - dito, bring on Antrel Rolle or Corey Webster

3. Matt Bowen - I hope he'll stay, our only white boy left on D:laugh:

4. Chad Morton - See ya!!

5. Michael Barrow - 50/50

6. Raymer and Friedman - Jokers!! We be better off w/ a pair from the CFL or NFL Europe

7. Darnerian McCants - Once again, see ya later Gardner

8.Pierce - 50/50

9.Wynn - If he does go, it would be a very bad decision, one of the most underrated Ends in the league

10. John Hall - ??? Who cares

11. Rock Cartwright - ????? His name is too cool, he stays

12.Joe Sala'vea - As long as he doesn't get gready

13.Lavar - For Dan's well-being, lets hope not. I doubt the Secret Service could keep him safe if He let Lavar go.

What's up w/ old Timmy, I would like to keep him around if Patrick has an injury or mental lapse.

bulldog....

come on man, bowen was playing out of position as a free safety.

In this defense with taylor taking on more deep coverage responsibilities, bowen can come up in the box and make stops.

Clark doesn't make enough tackles from any position on the field. He is covered up by the spectacular play that surrounds him.

That cover can make up for bowen's weaknesses, while allowing bowen to blitz more often, leaving shawn springs in coverage.

Notice how ryan clark isn't nearly as effective of a blitzer?

Originally posted by bulldog

I don't think McCants' departure is at all uncertain. I absolutely love the guy, but it is crystal clear that the coaches do not. After weeks of being inactive, he made a few big plays against cincey and then proceeded to do nothing until a dumb holding penalty, after which he was deactivated -- never to be heard from again. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I expect that both Gardner and McCants will be gone next year.

i don't think there will be as many changes as you may expect. Gardner for sure. Definitely some movement on the o-line. salary cap moves are inevitable and you can't stop the players that want to leave.

if you are cap friendly and play defense you stay!

Originally posted by Ignatius J.

here's why you're wrong about bowen.

bowen makes plays in ways that ryan clark and all the other safeties don't.

It's as simple as that.

You don't get rid of playmakers, and that's what bowen is.

Bowen and taylor both cause fumbles with thier hits, we need that kind of hard hitting tandem running rampant in the secondary, especially if smoot departs.

I guess I just don't see how Bowen could even be considered a playmaker? :whoknows:

I remember a few picks off of ricochets, and two nice sacks in the Tampa game, but little else. Clark has outplayed him.

Originally posted by ArmchairRedskin

Get out of here you vulture :laugh:

Bowen is really effective as a blitzer, he's good in run support, he causes fumbles, and the clincher........he's a baller on special teams. He's not going anywhere.

But he is TERRIBLE in pass coverage and in the open field.

McCants cares more about his music career than he does about his career as a Redskin. Just not the best fit for this team. Joe is looking for a core group of guys who bleed burgundy and gold. McCants isn't a Gibbs type of player, no love lost there. He won't play special teams and doesn't step up in practice. Work ethic in Joe's eyes is lacking therefore BYE BYE DMac.

Samuels- He will restructure and come back to complete our bookend T's w/Jansen's return...

Gardner- He will be traded for hopefully a 2nd to 3rd rnd pick...

Smoot- I think he will leave and we will try to work out some kinda deal w/him and the team he wants to sign with for picks...

Matt Bowen- he is 50/50 it's a crapshoot whether or not he will stay...He doesnt really cover well and contrary to popular belief he doesnt make all that many plays...That might change in this D system so he may stay, and possibly get a whole yr to work in it...

McCants- He should also be traded as he cant seem to crack the lineup w/this team, he just needs a change of scenery...we should be able to get anywhere from a 3rd to a 5th rnd pick for him...

Morton- Can you say Antonio Brown! Morton is toast...

Raymer/Friedmann- Friedmann is gone, I think Raymer will stay in a back-up capacity...

Pierce- We will resign "Da General" he is our coach on the field on D...

Wynn- He will be restructerd he is the type of veteran you keep around for leadership + he will be more effective in a reserve role...

Salave'a- He will be resigned he is important reserve in DT rotation...

Rock- I think he will be gone...

Clark- He will be resigned and given a shot at winning starting SS job next yr...

Haley- He will be released, makes to much money...

Lavar- Will be here...Are you kidding me, why would we move him?

Barrow- Will be here and remain as the backup to Pierce in the middle...

talent alone isn't enough. we learned that lesson with Michael Westbrook in the 1990's.

McCants has the physical skills to be a starting WR in the NFL but doesn't seem to have the competitive fire or commitment to excelling as a player.

He seems comfortable being on an NFL roster and living the NFL lifestyle.

Archived