Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

View of Who Will Be Gone

bulldog

Let me set the record straight on a few players here in terms of the cap, plus players i've seen on other similar threads...

The following players would cost more to cut than keep if done before 6/1...

Daniels

McCants

Morton

Jacobs

Obviously there are more, but no one is talking aobut cutting Coles, etc...

Some other players could be cut but won't save much money. Examples...

Bowen would save $600K and another $400K after 6/1. So cutting him doesn't save a whole lot. Keep him and build depth and versitility. What a concept!

Barrow barely save $$$ if cut before 6/1 and shouldn't be cut until Pierce is resigned anyway. If he's resigned, of course.

Something I don't understand is why any team would give up anything for Gardner or McCants or even Samuels for that matter. If you can't play for the lowest scoring team in the NFL why would any team want you?

I don't think any of the WR's outside of Coles and Jacobs are locks to be on this roster next season. I think Thrash is a cheap, experienced veteran that will probably be back but Gardner will most likely be gone.

I think WR is the one position where we may see the Skins make a splash in free agency. My hope is that Dan's got the jet warmed up to go to Carolina and bring back Mushin Muhammed.

The O-line is also up for grabs. Jansen will be back. Samuels to me would be 50/50 except that it would be very expensive to replace him in free agency. The rest of the players (including Thomas) could be cut. I think Molinaro/Wilson will be back for depth.

The current O-line (lack of talent) to me has been the primary reason the offense stunk this year. Gibbs seldom went to 3-4 WR sets because he lacked confidence that the linemen could protect Brunell/Ramsey. Bugel had to dummy down the blocking schemes so these guys could open holes (fleeting) for Portis. I expect significant changes on the line before next season.

the Redskins dilemma on the OL is that Samuels and Thomas are solid players but they are being paid as if they were the best at their respective spots, which they are not :(

in my opinion we are going to have to restructure Samuels in 2005 and look to take non-productive salaries off the roster while we buy some time.

otherwise the cap hit in 2006 is going to be too exorbitant to field a decent team.

I don't want to see us go 10-6 in 2005 and then have to be the 2004 49ers in 2006 :)

I don't really see a reason to get rid of Bowen. If anything he provides a blitzing threat and plus we haven't seen what he can do coupled with Taylor in the secondary.

I see him sticking around. Plus Gibbs made comments early in the year that alluded to him being a core type Redskin. Williams seems to agree as well.

I posted my thought that Bowen could be gone simply because of the numbers game at safety and his relatively high salary vis a vis the current starters.

I did not mean to infer that Bowen couldn't play or didn't deserve to return otherwise :)

Originally posted by bulldog

I posted my thought that Bowen could be gone simply because of the numbers game at safety and his relatively high salary vis a vis the current starters.

I did not mean to infer that Bowen couldn't play or didn't deserve to return otherwise :)

Word. I'm not familiar with his salary #'s. Is he a FA?

Archived