Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

offseason acquisitions

jaydean

Originally posted by Art

Sign our own guys. Make a run at a top flight defensive end in free agency. Draft a receiver, tight end or center in the draft -- whichever spot is more highly ranked. Then, call it a day.

Bingo.

Smoot is walking. You can bet on that. The Redskins will let him go.

Originally posted by Die Hard

Bingo.

Smoot is walking. You can bet on that. The Redskins will let him go.

We'll see. Smoot is a guy I'd retain at a very high price. If we do lose him, we need to think about drafting a corner.

I agree Smoot is gone...Their was too much talk this week and even during the game that Harris is a capable starter and that Wilds should of been playing more, and that Williams is totally comfortable starting Wilds...

We go OL, DE, CB in FA...

I dont know that we need to draft CB...I would go FA and look at Baxter, or Lucas...They are big/physical/fast CB's that fit this D well and are also familiar w/the way holding and PI are called in the NFL...Not to mention that they are from the same draft class as Smoot, so they are relatively young...

We draft WR, TE, OL depth, and a QB to groom...

Originally posted by jtyler42

I agree Smoot is gone...Their was too much talk this week and even during the game that Harris is a capable starter and that Wilds should of been playing more, and that Williams is totally comfortable starting Wilds...

We go OL, DE, CB in FA...

We draft WR, TE, OL depth, and a QB to groom...

And that QB to groom that we draft late should be..........Durant out of UNC.

Originally posted by Art

We'll see. Smoot is a guy I'd retain at a very high price. If we do lose him, we need to think about drafting a corner.

Originally posted by mookie0720

Well then doesn't that change the 1st round priority?

You'll see Walt Harris as our #2 guy next year. Garnell Wildes as your nickel.

Come on guys... you've seen Williams plug in reserves ALL season with success. You've seen what a pass rush will do for a corner's ability.

Signing an elite pass rusher negates the necessity for having a player of Smoots talents. Or at least the dropoff in talent from Harris to Smoot.

Teams have to make tough choices... and sometimes let a player go. Smoot is gone. We've got sufficient talent there.

Originally posted by DieselPwr44

And that QB to groom that we draft late should be..........Durant out of UNC.

I think him or Adrain McPherson(not sure of the name) out of FSU, he is currently in the Arena League...He is big/strong armed, and very mobile...I do know whoever the QB is he needs to be mobile...

Resign as many of our own players as we can.

Look for a center in FA, as well as replacements for anyone that leaves.

Draft DE or OL (G or TE) with early draft picks.

Best available players with the lower picks (and possibly to replace anyone we can't sign)

I don't see huge glaring needs on the team so hopefully we don't go too expensive and splashy in the offseason. We can take best available players and sign free agents where the price is right.

You'll see Walt Harris as our #2 guy next year. Garnell Wildes as your nickel.

Come on guys... you've seen Williams plug in reserves ALL season with success. You've seen what a pass rush will do for a corner's ability.

Signing an elite pass rusher negates the necessity for having a player of Smoots talents. Or at least the dropoff in talent from Harris to Smoot.

Teams have to make tough choices... and sometimes let a player go. Smoot is gone. We've got sufficient talent there.

Exactly....You cant argue w/this point...When we were actually rushing the passer today we got a pretty good pass rush on Culpepper...

I'm not sold on Walt Harris. I know he did a good job on Moss today (with help and some time on Burleson), but he consistantly gets beat underneath and is not nearly as sure a tackler as Smoot, nor does he support much in the run game. Walt is also 30 years old which means at this point in his career I doubt he is getting better...

i understand that we should do some drafting and get the players signed that are already here. but let's look at dan's gameplan the past five years. he's opened the checkbook every single off season and picked up whatever players he has wanted. now that joe gibbs is supposedly making the shots, will all that change this year?

I'm not sold on Walt Harris. I know he did a good job on Moss today (with help and some time on Burleson), but he consistantly gets beat underneath and is not nearly as sure a tackler as Smoot, nor does he support much in the run game. Walt is also 30 years old which means at this point in his career I doubt he is getting better...

You can't have a guy at every position making $5 M. You just can't.

You can't have Springs with a $10 M signing bonus... and Taylor with another $10 M.... and then sign Smoot to another huge deal.

We need an edge pass rusher more than anything right now. It will allow WIlliams to do even more with this defense. And again, negate the dropoff in talent from Smoot.

It would be "nice" to keep Smoot. But it's simply NOT good value for this team.

Originally posted by jtyler42

I think him or Adrain McPherson(not sure of the name) out of FSU, he is currently in the Arena League...He is big/strong armed, and very mobile...I do know whoever the QB is he needs to be mobile...

Those of you here that talk about "Gibbs Type Players" would NEVER want Adrian McPherson. He got kicked out of FSU you know how hard that is?

Originally posted by jaydean

i understand that we should do some drafting and get the players signed that are already here. but let's look at dan's gameplan the past five years. he's opened the checkbook every single off season and picked up whatever players he has wanted. now that joe gibbs is supposedly making the shots, will all that change this year?

I think there might be some surprise cuts this year... and they'll absorb the cap hit next year with a good core.

Year 2 we should be contending for a wildcard.

After year 2... I think we sign a few big pieces of the puzzles and start making some noise in year 3.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure enough fans are patient enough to let the plan unfold. But competing for a playoff spot in year 2 is a good foundation.

You can't have a guy at every position making $5 M. You just can't.

You can't have Springs with a $10 M signing bonus... and Taylor with another $10 M.... and then sign Smoot to another huge deal.

We need an edge pass rusher more than anything right now. It will allow WIlliams to do even more with this defense. And again, negate the dropoff in talent from Smoot.

It would be "nice" to keep Smoot. But it's simply NOT good value for this team.

Well I agree, if the issue is money then you can't do it, but I was just saying that based on talent I don't think Harris can fill the role of #2 CB for a full season on this team. In this system CB's are put on an island a lot of times due to the high amount of pressure we bring. Harris has been beaten deep multiple times this year for big gains, but also has been saved by ST on quite a few other near big gains.

Also I agree, it would be nice to keep Smoot, but he's not worth more than a 10.6 million signing bonus. At his size (he's had injury problems) and skill level (not top 3-5 in the league) along with the new rules, keeping Smoot at that price is outrageous.

Those of you here that talk about "Gibbs Type Players" would NEVER want Adrian McPherson. He got kicked out of FSU you know how hard that is?

So did Coles...:whoknows:

He has paid his dues and hasnt gotten into anymore trouble and he has the physical/leadership tools that Gibbs can groom into a successful QB...

Well I agree, if the issue is money then you can't do it, but I was just saying that based on talent I don't think Harris can fill the role of #2 CB for a full season on this team. In this system CB's are put on an island a lot of times due to the high amount of pressure we bring. Harris has been beaten deep multiple times this year for big gains, but also has been saved by ST on quite a few other near big gains.

Also I agree, it would be nice to keep Smoot, but he's not worth more than a 10.6 million signing bonus. At his size (he's had injury problems) and skill level (not top 3-5 in the league) along with the new rules, keeping Smoot at that price is outrageous.

Taylor has saved Smoot as well...Harris has been a long-time starter in the NFL and he held his own today against Moss...

It all starts with the offensive line, no good line then there will be no good passing game. How many games we see our Qb's dancing around with the fear of God in their eyes cause the line couldn't do it's job, not to mention Portis could of had a better year with bigger holes between the center and the guards to run through or guard and the tackle, how many times did we see portis hit a pile cause the lane never opened...

The secondary looks good with or without smoot, I remember the days when the only name back there was GREEN and we did just fine, Now we have Springs, Taylor, and next year a healthy Bowen. I'm sure Salary Cap room is going to dictate the back field. This off season should be an interesting one...

:2cents:

Archived