Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot -vs- Springs

ojuice00

Originally posted by goskins

Smoot doesn't have the size to blitz and make the painful tackles that Springs can, but #21 needs to be resigned if at all possible.

He has a long future ahead of him.

I think we should re-sign Smoot but not at any cost..

Originally posted by skins1972

How did smoot become expandable all the sudden? Springs is a great player but Smoot is young and he is a top 5 CB.. Redskins need to sign him PERIOD.

What r u smokin Smoot is not a top 5 corner.... I can name at least 8-9 corners better than Smoot. Also you must give Gregg Williams credit for most and probably all of our individual players progress throughout the season. Griffin, Washington, Springs, Pierce, and Smoot have all had pro bowl seasons thanks to the system.

Did anyone here the announcers talking about his meeting with Gregg Williams this week and how Williams wished he had Garnell Wilds out there earlier this year because he is a good athlete and he see's him as a starter. It to me said that they are saying goodbye to Smoot. I was very surpised to hear this

Springs has had a phenomenal year. If we keep Smoot we will arguably have the best CB tandem in the league. Even with Springs' phenomenal year, Smoot has had an amazing year as well. The thing is, Walt Harris has quietly had a pretty solid year too; if Harris was our #2 next year it would certainly be a step down, but it wouldn't be unworkable.

Smoot has turned down a 10.3 million signing bonus and a "lucrative" salary from the Redskins F.O. We'll see what happens; the F.O. has to know what they have available and what it will cost them in terms of other players we still need to get.

EDIT: I caught a bit of Redskins Report yesterday and George Michael reported that contract offer.

Too many people look at the bottomline number and don't bring into account how that contract is structured. Maybe Smoot liked the amount of money, but not the way it would divided throughout his contract. There are many things about negotiations that never get to the media, and fans get the wrong impression of players they were praising just a day ago.

There's no doubt that Smoot deserves to be back, he's been a team guy ever since he's been drafted and played under a relatively lousy rookie contract without so much as making a peep.

At the same time I think we already have some guys on our team that can step up and with the right coaching be solid contributors on this team.

Given our salary cap situation I think Smoot is going to be a victim of the numbers game.

Archived