Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clemons over Pierce?

I2eDsKiNs

Pierce has had a great year, Pro-Bowl worthy in my opinion. Unfortunately, the front office is a little bit constricted when it comes to the cap. If the cap hit of keeping him is too high then I guess he would have to be released. Barrow is already on the books and is a tackling machine when healthy. I would be so bold to say that if Barrow was healthy then he would have just as many if not more tackles then Pierce.

Another sleeper option may be for Chris Clemons to fill that spot. He has tremendous speed and a large frame (6’3”, 240lbs). If Chris did take Pierce's spot at MLB then we would also save a roster spot due to the fact that he has already shown the ability to rush the passer off the edge. In nickel, dime, and quarter packeges we could still use him as a DE while Lavar and Washington fill the LB roles.

All of us love Pierce but I just feel if it comes down to re-signing him or Smoot then Smoot would be the better option. Our secondary was the strength of our defense and I do not want to see this unit broken up. Smoot has made constant strides each year and is really becoming a solid corner.

Originally posted by Renegade7

Pierce is not replacable. He's mastered Williams scheme and is making this D engine go. Without him, we are screwed. Besides, Clemons is just a fast OLB. Hell we'd have a better chance with Barrow taking over then clemons. :doh:

That last part is true. But it is more true than you may think.

Barrow is simply better than Pierce when he is healthy. He is a large reason for Pierce' sucess this year, as he has acted as an extra coach, and has given Pierce advice all season and the benefit of his experience. You can see them talking on the sidelines occasionally during the game, and I'm sure they talk all the time in practice. Barrow is not a reliable long term solution though unfortunately, so we need to resign Pierce.

We need Pierce....He is one of those diamond in the rough players that everyone cries we dont have, so if we let him him go we really wont have him! He is the QB of our D and he sets the tone for our D, and with a season like that he will become not only a leader of the D but of this team...He is smart, aggressive, fast and rarely out of position, you just dont let a player like that go...

Maybe they'll all relize that money is not an issue, and they would rather win a title for us, for themselves, in DC. Highly unlikely, but it doesn't hurt to dream!!

Honestly, I think a good cover corner that can actually make a tackle is what we need. we have plenty of LB's that can play. Hopefully Barrow can take off his tampon and start playing some football. And with our scheme and mastermind, We can make anyone a great ILB. :2cents:

:helmet: :point2sky :logo:

I'd like to keep everyone on this defense. Pierce should be the starting MLB in the Pro Bowl (but that's last weeks arguement) but with Williams almost certainly coming back to coach here next year, I have total confidence in his ability to put a good defense on the field with whoever he has available to him.

I'd like to have Pierce back, he's earned his contract. But I'm not sure that he's a MUST SIGN guy. That's the beauty of Williams' defense, there really aren't any MUST HAVE guys except Taylor and Arrington and we still will finish 1st or 2nd in the league without Arrington. We will survive without Pierce.

With that said, SIGN HIM NOW Mr. Snyder.:D

Hey renegade what was you diagnosis of Pierce before this seaon started. You seem so sure Clemons couldn't hack it so you must of known Pierce was gonna lead the team in tackles and that we would be having this conversation about him now. The fact is you don't know. Greg as given Clemons a role this season and he has embraced it, getting 3 sacks in 4 games. Put him at Mlb and I bet he steps up to the challenge.

Originally posted by I2eDsKiNs

Hey renegade what was you diagnosis of Pierce before this seaon started. You seem so sure Clemons couldn't hack it so you must of known Pierce was gonna lead the team in tackles and that we would be having this conversation about him now. The fact is you don't know. Greg as given Clemons a role this season and he has embraced it, getting 3 sacks in 4 games. Put him at Mlb and I bet he steps up to the challenge.

Truth be told I don't know, and I don't want to find out the hard way. Fair enough? Pierce is leading this defense in several ways that cannot be defined through stats. We shouldn't replace him.

Hopefully Barrow can take off his tampon and start playing some football.

It's f*ucked up what some of you people let come out of your mouths. You're the type of person that has NEVER played a sport in your life and had a real injury but you're the first person to judge.

Fans like you makin' statements like that really get's under my skin....

You guys who think you can just plug any MLB into the defense and can get the same results are mistaken. Bobby Beathard used to say that drafting or finding a MLB in a 4-3 defense, was the hardest position to fill after quarterback.

He said a MLB has to have instincts to find the guy carrying the ball, and you can't teach that. Just like you can't teach speed. And now we finally have a defense that limits other teams to 3.1 yards or so per rush, and some of you guys think we can kiss Pierce good bye. :doh:

Although its true we have Mike Barrow in reserve, he will be coming off an IR injury and will be 35 next season. Whereas Chris Clemons appears to have a good future as a pass rusher from the OLB position, but he is not a MLB and never will be. :)

Archived