Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot has 'gut feeling' he might not be back

Sire

Originally posted by SkinsNut73

Bailey is whispering in his ear because he needs help in Denver :D

Champ's hoping Smoot will come to Denver and bail him out.

I would miss Smoot...but I agree...if the money is outrageous then let him go.

Maybe we can trade Smoot to Denver for Ruben Droughns :laugh:

Originally posted by ~kriztalmeth~

man this is some seriously messed up news =( ... i sure hope we keep him man our corners are exactly what allows us to be so aggressive , without them we wouldnt be as good as we are =(

I do not think smoot or Peirce will be back. Snyder likes to get the new instead of the proven. Watch Snyder get a Charles Woodsen because of his name

Smoot is a good player but he does not deserve more money that Springs got. The new rules have proven you dont need a shut down corner and I have more faith in Williams and whoever else he puts back there.

No way we break they bank for someone who talks a good game,

These negotiations are going to get ugly...It's obvious that the Skins rejected Smoots first offer and vice-versa, so you know now personal things will be brought up like the fact that Smoot hasnt made a Pro Bowl or the fact that he is a PI machine...

If Smoot wants more than Springs we need to try and get something for him and let him go....He is at least worth a low 1st to high 2nd rnd pick...

I wouldnt draft a CB, I would go FA and I like Gary Baxter from the Ravens b/c he comes from a disciplined aggressive D like ours and he is fast, big and physical....2 things Smoot isnt...

Originally posted by NEEDAQB

I do not think smoot or Peirce will be back. Snyder likes to get the new instead of the proven. Watch Snyder get a Charles Woodsen because of his name

yeah, thats why they signed Marcus Washington and Philip Daniels over Jevon Kearse.

After your rookie contract is up, comes the time for a player to cash in. If he doesn't cash in now he won't ever cash in. What do you expect?

a very good point. a point that i hate to agree with, but let's not completely ignore the environment that has been manufactured by the players/organizations. believe you me...smoot is paid. paid on par with those that he perceives to be on his level?...no doubt, the answer is no. but, he gets paid nontheless.

i hope we let him walk, though, not scott free. we make a concerted effort to sign him to resonable money...if he walks, he walks. we'll move in another direction. a direction in which g williams has already shown that he can plug n play with various different parts.

Originally posted by Warhead36

Thats the problem with our organization.

We pay big bucks to guys OUTSIDE the team, that do things for OTHER teams, but we can't pay one of our own?

We gave Mark Brunell $40 Million or whatever because he played well for JACKSONVILLE.

We gave Clinton Portis $50 Million because he played well for DENVER.

Look at when we raided the Jets. We paid those guys big bucks because they played well for the JETS, NOT because they played well for US.

It's time we start rewarding OUR guys, not dumping them off to get OTHER teams guys.

POST OF THE YEAR!!!!

I'm sick and tired of us not keeping our homegrown talent DAMN IT.

Originally posted by Mittens

After your rookie contract is up, comes the time for a player to cash in. If he doesn't cash in now he won't ever cash in. What do you expect?

:doh:

Loyalty?

Pride and belief in the organization that drafted him?

Appreciation for the ridiculous money he's already making, and gratitude for the additional money the Redskins will offer him?

Commitment to his coaches?

Respect enough for the organization to negotiate in private?

Humility?

A competetive spirit that goes beyond his own personal self-interests?

I've got more if you need them :)

Originally posted by NEEDAQB

I do not think Smoot is worth that much. Springs is better and bigger then him

It is time to spend some of the defensive money on the a good QB and offensiveline so they can win games instead of talking about rankings for a defense

Except that Smoot has played thru some pretty hardcore injuries, and played well, I might add.

I would like to say however sick I am of us spending big bucks on outsiders, I don't want to overpay for Smoot. He's one of my favorite players though and it would suck big time if he leaves. I wanted us to draft him before he was drafted. Not a lot of other players I can say that about. He's not worth Champ money though.Not even Champ was.

Originally posted by steveskins

POST OF THE YEAR!!!!

I'm sick and tired of us not keeping our homegrown talent DAMN IT.

what homegrown talent hasn't been paid besides Champ? Lavar is making big dollars, as is Samuels. Stephen Davis got a large extension the first time his deal was up. The Skins let Shawn Barber go, but he got way overpaid. The Skins haven't had many others to pay out to. Michael Westbrook? Kernard Lang? Stephen Alexander? Soon to be Rod Gardner? Face it, the Skins haven't had much homegrown talent to write home about. Plus factor in that the Skins have changed coaches 3 times very recently leading to FA "quick fixes" and that's what you have with this team.

This wouldn't even be an issue if the Skins in the past hadn't overpaid for other teams' free agents. Bad Bad Bad management from the front office prevents them now from signing their own. Continuity from keeping core players and a system in place is what breeds success. Look at the Patriots, Eagles & Steelers for example. We unfortunately now might have to lose a Smoot, Samuels or Pierce because of high priced signings in the past. I 've always said its a bad way to build a team. Yet we come down to this every year. Capped out, wasted picks given away and still losing. I swear I don't want to see a off season again getting more play than the regular season. I even look back at the Portis signing. I kept saying that Dillon coulda been obtained for much much cheaper cap wise and only a 2nd rounder required. At least 4 or 5 teams inquired about Champ. A 1st rounder should been obtained from 1 of those teams. More importantly now we'd be in a better cap situation. Trotter Barrow, Brunell arwe taking up a lot of Cap space. Man its just ridiculous. Now we might loser Smoot because of the Cap.

If Smoot leaves I swear I will never buy another Jersey again, and his retro jersey is headed right into the Susquehanna river. So the day another team picks him up and you see a new retro Smoot # 21 jersey floating in the Chesapeak Bay during early Rock Fish Trophy season, you'll know where it came from. Long live Jurgy, kilmer, Brown, Riggins, the Fun Bunch and even Herb Mulkey. Sorry, but I am sick of it.

It disappoints me that after saying he loves being a Redskin and he wants to be here that his gut is telling him otherwise.... His gut is just another word for his head in this case. He doesn't want the offers that the 'Skins are giving him... So he's buttering up to the media so that when he moves on there will be no hard feelings...

I really hope I'm wrong, I love Smoot... But if he doesn't want to be a loyal Redskin like he has said all along, he doesn't deserve to be one.

LaVar may have gotten a huge contract, but he signed with us without ever saying that he didn't think he would. Right now, love him or hate him, LaVar is a true Redskin. I HOPE Smoot joins him.

Originally posted by JonBlaze

what homegrown talent hasn't been paid besides Champ? Lavar is making big dollars, as is Samuels. Stephen Davis got a large extension the first time his deal was up. The Skins let Shawn Barber go, but he got way overpaid. The Skins haven't had many others to pay out to. Michael Westbrook? Kernard Lang? Stephen Alexander? Soon to be Rod Gardner? Face it, the Skins haven't had much homegrown talent to write home about. Plus factor in that the Skins have changed coaches 3 times very recently leading to FA "quick fixes" and that's what you have with this team.

You forgot Jansen. Who took a lesser contract to stay with the Skins.

Besides Stephen Davis' 1000 yard year in 03, who exactly from the skins has done really well after leaving? Champ made the pro bowl this year(he shouldnt have). Shawn Barber has disappeared after a good year in Philly. Trotter got to the Pro Bowl this year thanks to Philly's record.

How about Albert Connell? Who left the Skins for the Saints and not only sucked, but got arrested for stealing from another player!

Face it Folks.. Smoot is leaving!!!!! He was just playing out his final year to punish us for not signing Champ "Toast" Bailey. If he is listening to Champ we are in BIG Trouble....Champ would like nothing else than to see us suffer. Ever heard, "birds of a feather , flock together"

Archived