Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who here believe's Rock Cartwright should be the starting Runningback...?

michael_33

Now granted we have portis so this AIN"T happenin'....However...from watching the way this guy runs from last year and the style that he runs...is very promising!

I guess at 5-7 230+ makes him hard to get to like a Quintin Griffith...But he just seems a gibbs type of back......

I wish he could get some carries against the Vikings next week,but it probably won't happen....

Afterall....why play our best players....Cartwright...McCants....?:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Pretty pathetic..!

Hello Neophyte....

No......I just wish that some of these other role players could get some more playing time....

It would be one thing if none of these guys were worth a damn....but watching guys like the rock last year shedding defenses...breaking tackles and stuff....just makes me that more angry when I see us lose a game and portis has 35 carries and a bumbed shoulder or whatever....

Betts is a good player don't get me wrong...but why can't we enterchange our RB's like alot of other teams do....SAY...the steelers or so...

It would keep portis more fresh on his carries and make it that much more possible for him to break one here and there...

Now I do love the fact that portis is a tough SOB....but he is capable of fumbling every now and then....specially with 30+ carries....Why not give the rock the rock for 2 or 3 times a game or so....

That's all I ask....definitely in the redzone....!!!

Personally, Rock doesn't impress me much at all. I thought Sultan did a better job at running them Rock. But I do think Rock got some bad advice in the losing weight department and should try to bulk back up this off-season and make a run for the short yardage job.. though with a better line, I think Betts will win that one out too.

Posse

I agree Betts is a better down hill runner, and I like the way he attacks the line, although I remember Rock from last year, and even though didnt see him much he ran pretty good when he did get the job. I would expect to see them both this weekend.

The best part about betts is he just goes, not alot of cutting or juking like portis.

Originally posted by michael_33

It would be one thing if none of these guys were worth a damn....but watching guys like the rock last year shedding defenses...breaking tackles and stuff....just makes me that more angry when I see us lose a game and portis has 35 carries and a bumbed shoulder or whatever....

Oddly, that is all I remember of Rock also.

He may need to bulk up again.

Still though, not ready to jump on the "Start Rock" bandwagon. Doubt many here are.

I'm one of (but not the) biggest Rock fans on this board. (I'm surprised you haven't heard from the biggest).

I've had high hopes for him since we drafted him, and would really like to see him get some playing time.

Advantages:

• His short, stocky build, to me, implies that he ought to be able to break arm tackles, and make it through smaller holes than other backs need
  • I think, last year, he was five-for-five on "fourth and short". (However, I think four of those were preseason). He got at least one TD on a short-yardage play.
  • He's a better receiver than I'd expected. (I'd thought he'd be too short to even attempt throwing to him over the middle).

However:

I've also seen, last year, too many plays where he was in the backfield, but it's a pass. The pocket forms, and a defender comes on a blitz. Rock sees the blitzer, moves to block him, and just plain whiffs on the blitzer. (A few times, Rock went low, and the blitzer jumps over him.)

It doesn't take too many of those to get your QB killed.

I'm still a fan of his, and I'd like for him to become our short-yardage back. But if you can't block, then you can't start.

I think Rock has not been the same since they made him lose all that weight to make the roster. I think he needs to have some serious strength work in the offseason, and get in shape to be a short yardage guy. I thought he was a perfect fit in that role before.

BD

Well........the biggest Rock fan chimes in.

I believe Rock can be used for more than he is being used. FBChick said Sultan was more impressive. Might have been for you, however, Sultan is not on anyone's squad right now. So, I don't think he is an option for a RB on this team.

Rock will regain some weight. He is faster than he ever has been....but I agree he needs some of his bulk back.

He has not been given one opportunity to be a 3rd down back. I would like to see what he could do this year. Opponents would not be prepared for him.....or his running style.

CP is the man.......I won't be so naive as to say Rock should start. I do think, however, he has more to offer this team than he has been allowed to demonstrate.

He has become a better blocker......and a better tackler as seen on special teams this year.

Blondie

I feel Betts is doing a fine job this season. I hope he doesn't go anywhere. One thing about Betts as compared to Portis is Betts can bully his way for that extra yard or two. Once Ports is hit he goes straight down or backwards. Once Betts is hit on the line he always seems to fall forward for that yard. A tough runner who's proven this season that he belongs here.

Archived