Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who here believe's Rock Cartwright should be the starting Runningback...?

michael_33

I think Rock can fill a need, and it's a need that we have. (Can anybody say "Red Zone"? Without swearing?) I've been watching for him (and not seeing him) many times this year.

Can Betts do the same thing Rock can? Maybe. (I'll confess I haven't been watching Bettes that closely). OTOH, if you claim Betts is equal to Rock, I may agree with you, but I bet I know which one's cheaper, and which one might be worth more as trade bait. (Although, still not much, I suspect.)

I'm cheering for him. But I wouldn't label him as "Starter".

Just saw (and followed) this link on another thread. It's a fantasy football site, and they're discussing some newfangled ranking system they've developed to rate running backs.

The discussion focusses on the system's ranking of Rock as better than DeShaun Foster, based on every single carry they got in the '03 season.

The author points out that their basic stats are virtually identical for the year. (Foster got more total yards), But Rock got rated much higher.

Short summary: The system they're discussing takes down-and-distance into the calculations, and examines how a RB did, compared to the league average for RBs in that down-and-distance. Rock got a lot of carries on second-and-two, and he often got 3-4. Foster got a lot of carries on second-and-10, and often got 6-7. Result: Foster got more yards, but Rock moved the chains.

I really liked the comparasons.

(Note from Satan's Attorney: The ranking system they're discussing takes down-and-distance into account, but they didn't mention it factoring in score. In '03, Carolina was in a lot of close games, while the Skins were on the receiving end of a lot of blowouts. We might've seen more defenses who were willing to give up 5 yards than Carolina did. However, the article also points out that Rock got a lot more carries against top-ranked defenses than Foster did.)

I've just got a feeling that we may be about to lose a guy who'll wind up starting someplace else, because we never really gave him a chance in real games. Although, I trust in Joe.

Archived