Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lets Hope for a Quiet Offseason

bird_1972

After watching NFL Live on ESPN last night and hearing about all of the drama going on in the Rams locker room between Martz and Turley, I'm glad my team has been keeping the distractions under control. With the way the season has deteriorated from the stratospheric heights of the expectations once Gibbs was signed to the lows of last week's last minute loss to the Cowboys, the Skins have more reasons than the Rams to implode in the locker room, but they don't.

That being said, I think the perfect compliment to this relative calm at Redskins Park would be a low-key offseason devoid of any splashy offseason signings. As most of the folks here on Extremeskins advocate for, I'd like to see most of the acquisitions occur through the draft this year for a change. In addition to picking up a center, offensive guard, TE, DE, and possibly a WR (but, please, not a Mike Williams that has been out of the game for a year) I'd like to see us NOT overpay anyone to come here to play. By now, the FO should learn from the successes of the Eagles and Pats that reasonable salaries and installation of role players in the roster provide a healthy motivation to work harder. These bloated contracts make it easy for a big-ego, big-name player to lay back and reap the rewards of his agents hard work. We don't need that anymore. Hasn't worked for 12 years.

Whether or not we get a real GM (I still feel we need a shake up in the FO), at the very least lets hope for a reasonable and relatively quiet offseason. That way we'll have the focus placed on the season rather than March/April for once.

Man ... can't believe I'm at 1000 posts already. Damn.

:logo:

I think we will see some FA pick ups but hopefully nothing like the last several years. Some depth on the O-line and at CB would be nice. I would also like to make some noise in the draft by moving down to pick up more picks in the 2nd thru 5th rounds. That would be cool. Other than that all I want to read about is guys working out, injuries getting better and general optimism at Redskins Park.

I've been stressing this for WEEKS!!

I agree 100%. Notice the teams that are in the playoffs this year:

Chargers under Marty for several years with most of the pieces in place. Colts under Dungy for several years. Pats under Belicheck for several years. Steelers under Cowher. Eagles under Reid. Seattle just now kind of figuring it out under Holmgren.

The one exception is the Falcons under Mora. But I think it's just that, an exception.

I really believe that a Year 2 for the majority of our players and coaches will work wonders for this team. I think Gibbs is building from the ground up and we will be very happy with the eventual results.

didnt we just make a big move two years ago on the offensive line? But yes we dont need any big time contracts, Just people

who are real redskins.

I will say this if Gibbs cant make the right personnel decisions this year in 2006 its time for a GM.

Originally posted by Ironhide

I would like our biggest FA move to be, getting a better center for the OL.

Then after that, maybe some depth on the lines. Backups.

Then maybe trade 1 or 2 of our WR's for some draft picks. Maybe package Gardner and Jacobs for a #2 if that's possible.

No way do I trade Jacobs.

Originally posted by Ironhide

I would like our biggest FA move to be, getting a better center for the OL.

Then after that, maybe some depth on the lines. Backups.

Then maybe trade 1 or 2 of our WR's for some draft picks. Maybe package Gardner and Jacobs for a #2 if that's possible.

whoa, Ironhide, I've never seen you around here before, guess I wasnt paying attention as you are one of the first members. Just gotta say, Ironhide's prolly one of my favorite Transformers also!!!

Anyways, to the subject, Jacobs has potential I feel, in limited playing time he's done well. I wouldnt be surprised if we dump Gardner hopefully for a 2nd rounder (maybe the 49ers, Raiders if Porter is gone, Browns would do that trade, but prolly not). We keep Jacobs and Coles as our top 2, and Thrash still at #3, with McCants, I dunno about him.

I hope for a quiet offseason as well, just draft, and maybe a guard/center and wideout in FA.

I think a mix of drafting and FA signings, but quality players not just names. I dont have a problem brining in new people...but Snyder seems to just sign the player because of the name. ANywho...they need a good d line man, and some o line help, maybe a little depth and TE although Cooley and ROyal have been pretty good.

Originally posted by Posse81

How about a quietER off season. There are too many guys on the team who are not Gibbs players and they need to be replaced somehow.

That's fine with me, provided we don't go after some luxury pick like Mike Williams with our 1st rounder and instead trade down for picks for both o-line, TE, and D-line.

No more waste of money and picks on "name" guys that don't end up producing and, for the love of G-d, please build through the draft instead of FA...

Originally posted by bird_1972

No offense, but what has Jacobs done to earn your loyalty?

That drive that scored our last TD in Dallas, Jacobs caught a huge pass for like 15 yards to keep the drive going. Not to mention he's been a great special teams player. He just needs some more time to develop.

Originally posted by Renegade7

That drive that scored our last TD in Dallas, Jacobs caught a huge pass for like 15 yards to keep the drive going. Not to mention he's been a great special teams player. He just needs some more time to develop.

The word "Develope" implies patience. Unfortunately? Our owner and/or some fans do not have any! Its a "Win Now" mentality. That patience is exactly what we must show especially in dealing with WR's. It usually takes 3 or 4 seasons before most WR's "Get It" on an NFL Level. Jacobs will be entering his 3rd season. (A breakout year possibly in NFL terms.) So getting M. Williams? He may be a good one, but it will start the patience process over. Can you we as fans, or Snyder go through with this? 3 years maybe? I don't wanna start over.

Originally posted by Redsk58417

The word "Develope" implies patience. Unfortunately? Our owner and/or some fans do not have any! Its a "Win Now" mentality. That patience is exactly what we must show especially in dealing with WR's. It usually takes 3 or 4 seasons before most WR's "Get It" on an NFL Level. Jacobs will be entering his 3rd season. (A breakout year possibly in NFL terms.) So getting M. Williams? He may be a good one, but it will start the patience process over. Can you we as fans, or Snyder go through with this? 3 years maybe? I don't wanna start over.

Don't get me wrong, bro, I didn't mean to start a firestorm about whether or not to keep Jacobs, just curious what he saw in him to feel so strongly about keeping him on as a possible #2 WR. That's all.

we could probably get a 3rd for Gardner from someone like Chicago, KC or even San Diego. Hopefully we will keep McCants, but if not, someone would likely give up a 4th or 5th for him seeing how his contract is pretty cap friendly.

I think (I hope) one of the things Gibbs learned this year is that in today's NFL you have to start rookies. - There isn't as much time to develop anymore.

...What did Turley do?

Originally posted by jimster

...What did Turley do?

Turley allegedly stormed into Martz's office responding to statements he made suggesting Turley was milking an injury. Martz called security because Turley threatened to "kill him", as it was reported.

That was after Martz convinced Froniere (Rams owner) to post copies of a letter in each players' locker stating her intent NOT to fire Martz at the end of the season.

Sounds like the kind of drama I don't want to have on any team I'm rooting for.

Archived