Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Cowboys' Woodson to Retire

jimster

Cowboys' Woodson Headed to Retirement

Dec 28, 11:01 AM (ET) Email this Story

IRVING, Texas (AP) - The Cowboys are ready to bid farewell to Darren Woodson, the last player left from their teams that won three Super Bowls in the mid-1990s.

The 35-year-old safety hasn't played all year because of injuries and was expected to retire or be released after this season. Team owner Jerry Jones said on his weekly radio show it's only a question of "when we and he will make it official." Coach Bill Parcells said Monday an announcement was coming as soon as this week.

Woodson, a four-time All-Pro, delivered punishing hits and is the team's career leader in tackles with 1,350. He was a rookie on the 1992 squad that won Dallas' first Super Bowl of the Jones era. He also was a key player on the 1993 and '95 teams.

Woodson had back surgery three days before training camp. His recovery was hampered by a nerve problem that prevented him from even returning to practice.

His absence forced Roy Williams to be used differently and the Cowboys to rely on projected backups Tony Dixon and Lynn Scott. Dallas allowed the fewest yards in the NFL last season with Woodson. The Cowboys have plummeted to 21st this season.

"I think you saw the impact on our defense this year," Jones said.

Oh no!

He's the reason the Cowboys have suffered so much and regressed on defense this year. Isn't that the most common excuse? He's the reason Roy is out of position and gets burned in coverage, why Newman can't cover anyone, and why Marcellus Wiley doesn't have enough time to get to the QB.

I guess the Cowboys will never play good defense again without the "best safety ever." :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler

Oh no!

He's the reason the Cowboys have suffered so much and regressed on defense this year. Isn't that the most common excuse? He's the reason Roy is out of position and gets burned in coverage, why Newman can't cover anyone, and why Marcellus Wiley doesn't have enough time to get to the QB.

I guess the Cowboys will never play good defense again without the "best safety ever." :rolleyes:

DD,

With someone of such football knowledge, you should know better.

It's not just what he brings physically to the table for the D.

Sure his ability has faded over the years, but his leadership and presence is something that cannot be replaced.

He was the QB of the D just about the only one to be trusted 100% to be in the right spot and to make the right call defensivly.

More than anything else, those qualities were missed the most.

Sure Williams playing out of position because of his absence contributed, but facts are facts.

He was the veteran leader of the team who knew what took to win.

Everything he brought to the table was missed.

I'm not saying that he is the only reason for the defensive regression by any means, but his absence, ON THE WHOLE, had it effects well beyond how he played on the field.

As bad as this sounds, im actually relieved he won't be around to start next season. Maybe now Dallas will go out and get a REAL FS, which is what they should have done 2 years ago. Not a single FS on this roster, even if Woody is healthy. Dixon is a SS (and a crappy one at that) and Lynn Scott, no dallas fan can figure out why, for the past 3 seasons, why he continues to suit up in the Silver and Blue. If releases, he wouldn't be picked up by any NFL team anywhere.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

One of the better safeties in the game. He did his job well for a long time. He did his part. Now on to the NFL channel. ;)

I welcome myself to the board. I'm a Cowboys fan but I truly like Redskin fans. We seem to get a long so well.

At least 1 RedSkins fan is able to see the truth and post something more thought provoking than "Who cares". Dallas D was downright BAD this year and some of it was becasue of a lack of Woodson. Oh well, nice site by the way and I really like the "smilies" available, esp this one. :wewantd:

Archived