Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So what do we do?

D'Pablo

My Plan:

For the draft:

First Round- Go for the impact player that can reverse a team's fortunes ala Julius Peppers or Ben Roethlisberger. This year, I think that player is Mathias, the DE from Boston College. He has a huge wingspan that will impede the opposing QB's throwing lanes even if he is unable to get pressure. Don't be surprised if he puts up bad numbers in the combine. DE's generally don't bench as much because of their large wing spans and a 4.7 to 4.8 40 time would be extremely swift for guy that measures 6'7". The guy has also produced in a major football conference, 16 tackles for a loss and 11.5 sacks.

I know a lot of you are content with the defense, but with the draft, you have to build on what is already a strength. This is mainly due to the uncertainty involved with the draft. Look at the Eagles and their D (Sheppard, Michael Lewis, Sheldon Brown, Derrick Burgess), some of their primetime producers were drafted after they were already rock solid. Of course the best example is the Ravens with Terrell Suggs, Jarret Johnson, Ed Reed, Anthony Weaver, Gary Baxter, Adalius Thomas, and Chris McAlister. They were a solid D in 98' and were ranked #11.

As for the rest of the draft:

Third Round- Ideally we go after a guard that is a road grader in the run game. A center takes longer to develop and a solid free agent would be ideal for this position. Possible selections include: CJ Brooks, Marcus Johnson, or Chris Kemoeatu.

Fourth Round- There are certain positions that desperately need some depth. Cornerback is definately one of those with only four active players, and we might even lose Smoot (God help us). I figure one of these three will fall due to slight character or injury problems: Jerome Dennis (6'1", nice), Shird Mitchell (good special teamer), Dominique Foxworth (Madieu Williams paved the way for Maryland Corners)

Sixth Round- Another DE would make for great training camp fodder. Considering all our DE's are in the twilight of their careers, a youth infusion would be nice. We should look for overacheivers that can push our current corps. This would include: Matt Roth (might go a lot higher), Kevin Eli, or whoever else might be available.

Seventh Round- I want to say QB, but there might be a logjame there with Brunell not retiring. Perhaps the best available player might be the best bet. A decent sized player that could play SS, a really raw but talented WR, or even another guard or linebacker would be nice.

Not too much maneuvering in this scenario, and I think its a welcomed change. This is my idea of building through the draft.

Free Agency:

*Cheap and solid is the way to go...

Center- Casey Rabach is solid and fairly young (28 next September) from the Ravens. I think he'd come cheap and wouldn't mind the move.

Fullback/Goal-line Back- This is obviously a glaring need. We just need one guy that can punch it in for a yard. Antowain Smith would be a cheap alternative to solve this problem. A slightly more expensive option may be Lamont Jordan if he hits the market. This guy is basically a younger Stephen Davis.

Defensive Tackle- If we can go after one splashy free agent, I hope we go after Corey Simon. The guy thrives in the one gap scheme we got here and playing next to Griffin and Kiwi would open up huge lanes to the QB. The added effect is that we weaken a division opponent while shoring up our D-line. Beautiful... Complacency in the offseason for our D would spell our doom; just look at Dallas.

Wide Receiver- This is a real amenity that I think we can go without. Brandon Stokley and Troy Brown are solid contributers wherever they go and could be a really solid #2's or #3's in this offense (moreso than Gardner).

Overall, I see maybe 3-4 additions total through free agency, and not everyone will necessarily be a starter. I don't think we're close to being a good playoff-contending team, but the pieces are there if we're patient.

Guys that need to be cut or traded:

Phillip Daniels, Renaldo Wynn, Corey Raymer, Mark Brunnel, Brian Kozlowski, Mike Sellers, and Chad Morton

These guys are old and serve no purpose as either depth or as a starter.

Guys that must be resigned:

Smoot and Pierce are gonna go down in Redskin Lore and must be back next year. I think about 16 million dollars worth of signing bonuses will go toward these two. Joe Salave'a is also a crucial cog in our defense, and he should retire a Skin. It would be nice to lock up Lemar Marshall and Ryan Clark to longterm deals too.

If you took the time to look over this, thanks. Feel free to comment on it and make suggestions. I hope you guys post some of your offseason scenarios too.

I'm not sold on Kiwanuka, he's very light for his size and he seems to be more a project than an immediate impact player to me. If we for some godforsaken reason went DE in the 1st I'd want it to be Erasmus James or Pollack. Somebody who can come in and contribute right away, or at least be a starter from day one.

Why would we be going for Corey Simon? DT is a position of strength for the team.

There are 4 positions that need upgrading:

1-WR

2-OC

3-LT

4-DE

My plan, and ill go into more detail later.

1st: We resign Smoot and Pierce

2nd: We sign a OC or LT or both in FA.

3rd: We pick up a mid level DE to replace Wynn. Daniels, Warner, Evans are fine for depth, but someone like Reggie Hayward is fine.

4th: We draft an OFFENSIVE playmaker. Now, if that means taking Mike WIlliams or Braylon Edwards high, so be it. If neither are available, we trade back and reassess. If we trade out of 5-8 down to 10-16(pick up a second and third rounder in return), then we're looking at someone like Heath Miller or trade back further. It's too early.

I was real low on Mike Williams, but I'm starting to see the light. An impact receiver would be excellent. There's some good depth at the top of the draft (Braylon Edwards from Michigan would be awesome- a possession guy). But if that Kiwi guy ends up being the real deal, he would be a great addition.

I agree we need to upgrade at center, but no need to go after a top guy. An upgrade would be someone with knees. Raymer ain't got 'em.

I think we're okay at defensive tackle, but if we could get Simon, that would be unbelievable. With that being said, I think he's staying put.

If we're going to make a big move, it has to be at defensive end. Overachieving defenses done overachieve forever, and our defensive line is already fizzling. I think a big time DE should be a priority.

Antwoine Smith is VERY intriguing. You have to think he's gonna leave Tennessee with Brown's output, and I think we would complement Portis almost perfectly. Again, with that being said, I don't see Gibbs making a major move here. I think he likes Betts.

I say we use a

Depth at linebacker I think is a must, too. Lemar Marshall doesn't cut it.

You neglected to mention Samuels. What do you think about his situation? My vote goes to restructuring, if possible, but if we can't, we keep him anyway.

Originally posted by TODD

You neglected to mention Samuels. What do you think about his situation? My vote goes to restructuring, if possible, but if we can't, we keep him anyway.

we can't keep him if he activates his option and is an 11 million dollar cap charge next year. Not for how he is playing. We can sign Brad Hopkins or Walter Jones for less.

Originally posted by D'Pablo

Free Agency:

*Cheap and solid is the way to go...

Wide Receiver- This is a real amenity that I think we can go without. Brandon Stokley and Troy Brown are solid contributers wherever they go and could be a really solid #2's or #3's in this offense (moreso than Gardner).

Stokley got a 5 year extension believed to be worth $17.5 million total within the last two weeks.

MIKE WILLIAMS. We have got to go after him. This team needs a go-to-receiver more than anything. Look at the impact Roy Williams made in his first season with Detroit, if Mike Williams could do that for us it would add an entire new dimension to this offense. And just think how good he will probably be in five years. I say trade up to get him if we have to.

I was really high on Stokley... it sucks that he isn't an option anymore. Like I said, WR is not a need position. The Skins will be a lot better with a healthy Coles and I think Taylor Jacobs could be a great receiver sooner rather than later. Gardner is really mediocre but he is not exactly killing our cap, and for the money, he is alright.

Corey Simon would be another amenity. He is a proven commodity and has really picked up his game as of late. A lot of people credit Trotter for the Eagles shoring up their run defense, but I credit their DT's for playing better. We are really masking our deficiencies along our defensive line. Just look at the final play during the Dallas game, our D-line wasn't within 5 yards of Testaverde. Also, our DT's are aging, Boschetti and Griffen are our youngest and everyone else thats contributing is over 30. After this past season, Simon might come relatively cheap for an all pro DT.

As for Kiwi, from the scouting reports I've read, the guy has a frame that can afford to pack on pounds. I expect that by the combine, he'll be somewhere between 280-300 pounds, and that is good amount of mass. From having watched some BC games, I can tell you the guy can afford to lose a little speed from his weight gain.

I did not bring up Samuels because he is a hot button issue. He should remain a Redskin in my opinion and will look a lot better as Dockery (or whoever is at LG) picks up his game. Have you noticed that Samuels has looked better ever since Gibbs and Co. said they've been working to get plays in quicker? I'm sure this has helped him in adjusting to the audibling/snap count/etc.

First we resign Smoot, Pierce, Salave'a, Clark, and Lemar Marshall...

I say we trade Samuels for a low 1st rnd pick and Gardner for a 2nd round pick...To replace Samuels we move either move Jansen to LT and start Parker at RT or we keep Jansen at RT and move Wilson or Molinaro in at LT....

In the draft we Go Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards w/the high 1st rnd pick(I prefer Mike Williams) and with the low 1st rnd pick we go DE possibly Matt Roth, David Pollack, or my draft sleeper Justin Tuck DE from ND if he declares....

W/the 2nd rnd pick we get for Gardner I would go LG and draft possibly David Baas or CJ Brooks...

W/the 3rd pick I would go CB and Carlos Rogers from Auburn should be there....

W/the 4th rnd pick we should go RB a power back at that and we should go Brandon Jacobs out of Southern Illinios(xfered from Auburn)....

We dont have a 5th rnd pick....

6th and 7th we look at best athlete available w/LB depth and KR in mind....

In FA we address need for TE by signing Bubba Franks, a good blocker and receiver....We also address the need for center and we sign Casey Rabach from the Ravens...

That's my plan for this off-season...

That first round pick needs to go towards the offense. I don't know how you can look at this team and not realize it.

The defense is championship caliber as it is. We've got guys who can get to the passer in place. As nice as it would be to have a consistant source on the line, our defense will be top 5 next season without it. It's a luxury.

WR or OL in round 1. Mayber if there was a sure fire Simeon Rice/ Julius Peppers prospect I'd change my mind... but there isn't a guy like that to be had. So you have to look to fix the weakest part of the team... offense.

Archived