Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

something gibbs said

panthro

i tivo'd the postgame show and watched it late last night. during gibbs' press conference, he was asked a question about the defense and responded something like, "the defense has played outstanding all year. i would never second guess anything they do."

now, i understand and wholeheartedly agree with the first part of his response. the defense has played great (most of the time). but the second part, i have questions about...

as head coach, i would always be looking, evaluatiing, critiquing, analyzing, etc. etc. for improvements and ways to become more solid. his statement makes me think that the defensive unit is almost a completely separate team with a completely separate coach. "who is gibbs to question greg williams?" is the impression i get from gibbs' statement.

perhaps, here are where some of our problems lie. i think gibbs needs to take a stronger stand with the team - including the coaches. greg williams has done an outstanding job with our defense - no argument from anyone there. does this mean that greg has carte blanch over everything in washington? does gibbs even monitor or oversee the defense at all?

these are not necessarily rhetorical questions, but honest questions i have about the team at this point. if gibbs has removed himself from the defense completely, i'm not sure that's the wisest move for the sake of creibility, respect and team unity.

gibbs' hesitency to speak up and critique may be a part of what others have discussed in some current threads and what was mentioned in the postgame show by b-mitch last night....

i wonder just how much gibbs is speaking up when he sees something that doesn't look right. does he have the self-confidence after having been gone for so long to do so with guys like greg williams, sean taylor and clinton portis?

i certainly hope so. i would imagine so, but from statements like what we heard from thrash last night and the comments from b-mitch, there does seem to be something not quite right brewing in redskins park. i hope that they can get it under control going into next season or we're in for another long one.

I think you're taking the statement too generally. I'm sure he meant in regards to second guessing the decision to play the D that was played that resulted in the TD. And even still, with the way they've played it would be kind of hard to second guess what GW has done with the players he has. Even after giving up a game winning TD.

That said, no need for panick mode.

I hope Gibbs gives Williams all the freedom he wants. Man this is the #2 D in the league. That can not be overstated.

Did the D lose this game. No. Did the Offense lose this game? No. Did Gibbs lose this game? No. The team lost this game. Many things by many players and coaches could have been done differently throughout this game.

I think it's more the thought that without the Defense Washington would have been hard pressed to win a game all year. Given the Defense's performance over the course of the year Gibbs really doesn't have much leeway to question anything that they've done/ do especially since if the offense could manage even decent point production they'd have won a lot more games this year.

he was asked a question about the defense and responded something like, "the defense has played outstanding all year. i would never second guess anything they do." now, i understand and wholeheartedly agree with the first part of his response. the defense has played great (most of the time). but the second part, i have questions about...

as head coach, i would always be looking, evaluatiing, critiquing, analyzing, etc. etc. for improvements and ways to become more solid. his statement makes me think that the defensive unit is almost a completely separate team with a completely separate coach. "who is gibbs to question greg williams?" is the impression i get from gibbs' statement.

I think Gibbs is feeling the heat from having so many talented players on offense and barely more than 200 points to show for it. And Gregg Williams has taken one of the worst Ds in the league to one of the best. With even a mediorce O this year we would have already clinched a playoff spot.

I agree that Gibbs should hold everyone accountable, but this season's 5 wins are all on the back of the D (maybe the Giants are the one exception) so he doesn't feel like he can criticize the D after giving up that one play. It was the offense that lost that game, just like every other game, and Gibbs is the one calling the plays.

I don't ever remember Coach Gibbs calling out or criticizing players or coaches in public. His pat answer is always one of support and approval. I think that is why he builds such great organizations. This is a strength, not a weakness. Now, behind close doors, it's hard to say what's happening. He was never involved in the defense the first go round, so I don't expect he'd be now. I

f there is anything going on at Redskins Park, I'd say it would have to center around the defense feeling let down by the Offense, and maybe some of them are questiong Gibbs. That is just speculation, and I'd find it hard to imagine that it is happening without being addressed by the coaches.

Besides, how could he have anything but positive things to say about the defense. They've been stellar. No team in this league has all 3 phases of it's game going on in every game. That is why they say it takes 2 phases working to win a game. Usually, one is going to be off. If yesterday could be considered an "Off" day for the D, it's the first one they've had in a long while.

Originally posted by TexasEagle

I think it's more the thought that without the Defense Washington would have been hard pressed to win a game all year. Given the Defense's performance over the course of the year Gibbs really doesn't have much leeway to question anything that they've done/ do especially since if the offense could manage even decent point production they'd have won a lot more games this year.

Duh. ;)

That's what I call reading into it. Does Williams have carte blanch over everything Washington? Hardly.. it's a statment saying that Gibbs trusts Williams with putting the Defense in the best possible situation to help win the games. It's Gibbs way of saying that William's decision to play the defensive scheme that allowed Dallas to score that TD to win the game, was not something he was going to second guess or question. Not that Williams has reign over everything redskins or wouldn't not be overseen.

There is another article that talks about how Williams could not run the package he would normally run on that type of play because of the depletion of DB's after losing both Smoot and Jimoh. Because of that, they came up short on coverage and Dallas got a TD and won the game.

This is Gibbs way of saying Defense and Greg, we know it's not your fault and we don't question your heart or desire to this team. That we know you gave it everything you had, regardless of the outcome. It's Gibbs way of taking the blame once again. Not some insight to some secret run away defense split.

When reading an earlier piece with an interview with Shawn Springs, he said that they were limited in how aggressive they could be since Smoot was injured earlier, and Ide Jimoh hurt himself on one of the special teams plays. That said, they had linebackers in covering WRs because of the personnel shortages. That explained all that I needed to know.

Archived