Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Steve is a visionary!

Zen-like Todd

The first bit is in reference to the receiver core.

"I think we're in pretty good shape," he said. "I think we're going to surprise some people with what we have there. What we need to do is get a couple linemen."

But here's the obvious informational tidbit that tells us nothing new from the bottom of the article. Ok fine, we didnt know whether or not we'd grab Tylski.

The Redskins' focus apparently will be to sign a guard and a defensive tackle. Team officials seemed to be leaning against signing guard Rich Tylski, who was released by the Pittsburgh Steelers on Monday, but have had discussions with free agents Bob Hallen of the Atlanta Falcons and Heath Irwin of the Miami Dolphins. The agent for former Pro Bowl defensive tackle Eric Swann said this week he planned to speak to the Redskins, and club officials are waiting to see if free agent defensive tackle Sam Adams's price tag drops.

Here's the link to the article.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37195-2002Apr23.html

I don't want Irwin. The article mentioned the number of receivers-that's my question--how many receivers does Spurrier keep--how many does he activate for a game?

I like the idea of seeing what the receivers under contract can do.

I can't wait for the exhibition games to start.

Hallen would be ideal. A second round pick in 1998 who has four years, and three line positions under his belt as a starter. He's got good pass blocking skills and is young enough to build with. With him, you probably have a better overall line than you did last year. With Irwin you probably don't. Hallen's my top guard choice at the moment.

Sam Adams isn't coming here for a reasonable offer. He's coming here for a "wink, wink, you owe me one Sammy," "Ok then Marvin," contract if he's coming here at all. Hallen is a guy you can "probably" get for a five-year, $5 million contract with about $2 million as a bonus. Now, I'd be thrilled with less than that and he'd only go that high if there's more interest. I think he can be had for one of those two year deals with around $1 million guaranteed if you work it careful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I think we're in pretty good shape," he said. "I think we're going to surprise some people with what we have there. What we need to do is get a couple linemen."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, what WIDE RECEIVERS will we now sign...remember he told us he was fine with qb before the draft!

right now I think the Redskins are going to stay pat at receiver unless Willie Jackson's asking price comes down.

I agree with Art that Hallen is the best of the available guards right now.

I would pass on Irwin who was a HUGE disappointment in Miami.

If Hallen goes elsewhere I might consider waiting until June 1 to pick up Ray Brown from the 49ers.

For value for the 2002 season, I think Brown if released may in the end be the team's best choice.

You take away his age, 39, and focus on what he has done the past 2 years in SF on the merits, and he has been a better player at guard than anyone the Skins could have brought in including resigning Dave Szott, Ben Coleman, Irwin, Jones, etc........

Is there any particular reason why we aren't talking about resigning Ben Coleman, who's actually healthy this time around? He can play both tackle and guard, and he was the missing link in the line last year by all accounts, causing it to gel when he became the starter in the mid-season.

You know Redman, I read a quote from him in one of the posted articles and thought the same thing. Have seen very little on him. He played hurt some of last year and showed alot of toughness in doing so. He's familiar with at least one of the guys beside him and that's gotta help. Wonder if there is a money or injury issue there?

I think htat Coleman wanted to use the 1 year contract with the Skins as a tide-over until he could go somewhere for the dollars that he was used to. Unfortunately, he's probably figuring that he can get back to those dollars, and teams, once seeing that he will wait around and accept the low dollar contract in the end are waiting out on him.

I think that the Redskins, like every other team in the league are just saying that they don't want Coleman at the price that he's asking.

I DO think that the skins would sign him in a second if they were able to do it for a reasonable price.

Archived