Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The problem with our Offense....

jtyler42

I've been thinking about this for the past few weeks and it'll suck I know but I'd be in favor of doing a mass binge and purge of salary this offseason, similar to what Marty did when he first got here. I'd be willing to get rid of Samuels, Brunell, Coles, and Thomas for starters. For the production we are getting from these guys, I'd venture to say that we could do just the same for 80% less. I know we would resemble a pop warner team out there, but hey....don't we anyway? I just don't want to see them get rid of Smoot. And if it took getting rid of LaFraud Arrington, I could live with that too.

Originally posted by Shadowplay

I've been thinking about this for the past few weeks and it'll suck I know but I'd be in favor of doing a mass binge and purge of salary this offseason, similar to what Marty did when he first got here. I'd be willing to get rid of Samuels, Brunell, Coles, and Thomas for starters. For the production we are getting from these guys, I'd venture to say that we could do just the same for 80% less. I know we would resemble a pop warner team out there, but hey....don't we anyway? I just don't want to see them get rid of Smoot. And if it took getting rid of LaFraud Arrington, I could live with that too.

UH-OH :laugh:

I dont agree with you. Mabye Samuels, but not Coles and Thomas, and definitely not Arrington. We cant get rid of Brunell without a HUGE cap hit.

Originally posted by Shadowplay

I agree it is time to perform an enima on the offensive side of the ball...Samuels, Gardner, Brunell to start....Lavar is untouchable though...

Ok, but that is exactly my point. Let's take our medicine now and get all these cap hits taken care of so we can really start to rebuild. Samuels has a ridiculous cap size this year and he's refused to re-negotiate. Ok, well I like the guy but I'm not in love with him. I don't think he's played great but he has been solid. Thomas, again ok but not worth the money our idiotic owner and his henchman paid for him. Lavar is the most overrated player in this league in my opinion, but I respect it if others have different opinions.

Why is it that, during the off-season, things like continuity and chemistry and familiarity within a system seem to resonate with fans, yet, while the live bullets are flying during the season and an all-new team is struggling, all anyone wants to do is "BLOW THE THING UP ... AGAIN!"?

Who's the "mean and nasty" guy leading the Patriots offense?

The Colts?

Philly? (T.O.'s not "mean and nasty"---he's a freak on a hot streak)

Offense is about timing, chemistry, a scheme that fits the talent, and talent commited to the scheme. Getting those things put together requires two things:

1) Good enough players.

2) Time for those players to gel together in the scheme.

Way I see it ... we're pretty close on the former (maybe very close, if Ramsey earns the job outright out, Coles toe heals and Jansen comes back 100%) ... and paying our dues on the latter. The offense, for all its' frustrations and struggles, has been within inches of making plays all year long. A missed block here, a dropped or poorly thrown pass there, a blown assigment everywhere. Those things are due AT LEAST as much to unfamiliarity and newness as they are to talent or lack thereof.

Painful as it is ... at this point it's patience that's called for, not yet another case of dynamite.

Originally posted by Om

Why is it that, during the off-season, things like continuity and chemistry and familiarity within a system seem to resonate with fans, yet, while the live bullets are flying during the season and an all-new team is struggling, all anyone wants to do is "BLOW THE THING UP ... AGAIN!"?

The Colts?

Offense is about timing, chemistry, a scheme that fits the talent, and talent commited to the scheme. Getting those things put together requires two things:

1) Good enough players.

Way I see it ... we're pretty close on the former (maybe very close, if Ramsey earns the job outright out, Coles toe heals and Jansen comes back 100%) ... and paying our dues on the latter. The offense, for all its' frustrations and struggles, has been within inches of making plays all year long. A missed block here, a dropped or poorly thrown pass there, a blown assigment everywhere. Those things are due AT LEAST as much to unfamiliarity and newness as they are to talent or lack thereof.

Painful as it is ... at this point it's patience that's called for, not yet another case of dynamite.

harrumph, harrumph, harrumph, :notworthy

Originally posted by Om

The Colts?

1) Good enough players.

Great post!! I definately agree 100%. It's Joe's first season back after a twelve year hiatus. Patience please.

Originally posted by Om

The Colts?

1) Good enough players.

Great post. You summed up my thoughts perfectly.

Patience is a difficult thing to find and even harder to hold on to.

While I agree that patience is very important, I disagree that that alone will get us to where we need to be on this offense. I think it’s painfully obvious that even with Jansen back, and Coles toe healed to 100%, we will still lack talent on the line, and at wide receiver. I feel we need more talent, and more importantly Speed. The game has gotten a heck of a lot faster since Joe stepped away, and this team on offense just seems a lot slower than most of the teams around the NFL.

Originally posted by CHUBAKAH

While I agree that patience is very important, I disagree that that alone will get us to where we need to be on this offense. I think it’s painfully obvious that even with Jansen back, and Coles toe healed to 100%, we will still lack talent on the line, and at wide receiver. I feel we need more talent, and more importantly Speed. The game has gotten a heck of a lot faster since Joe stepped away, and this team on offense just seems a lot slower than most of the teams around the NFL.

Bingo. Continuity won't help Gardner catch the ball, help Dockery get faster, stop sameuls from making mental mistakes, and it sure won't help our WRs catch the ball. Anyone know what a mean streak really is? Wanting it. This offense doesn't want it enough. Not only do we need more talent on the offense but we need players who want it bad enough.

Originally posted by Renegade7

Bingo. Continuity won't help Gardner catch the ball, help Dockery get faster, stop sameuls from making mental mistakes, and it sure won't help our WRs catch the ball. Anyone know what a mean streak really is? Wanting it. This offense doesn't want it enough. Not only do we need more talent on the offense but we need players who want it bad enough.

:doh: all except Hot Rod Continuity is EXACTLY what is needed.

and Dockery is very good at pulling and has good speed. He has problems with Pass Blocking at times.

play with a mean streak? :laugh: um yeah.... quit listening to 2nd rate announcers.

The offensive line. Marginal run blocking most of the time. Zero time to throw the ball. IT ALL STARTS WITH THE LINE! Jansen is missed more than I thought! With Portis picking up the blitz well, Sam and Dock are good enough, Jansen returns, go get a center and this line could be real good. RIGHT NOW THEY SUCK!

Originally posted by bubba9497

:doh: all except Hot Rod Continuity is EXACTLY what is needed.

and Dockery is very good at pulling and has good speed. He has problems with Pass Blocking at times.

play with a mean streak? :laugh: um yeah.... quit listening to 2nd rate announcers.

2nd rate announcers have nothing to do with it. At some point you have to say to yourself "catch the ball" "don't flinch" "don't be stupid". That comes with wanting the win bad enough. It's all mental. Mean streak, whatever you want to call it, we don't have enough of it. Dockery's main issue coming out of college(why he wasn't picked until the 3rd round is because of his speed. And in that philly game he just got overpowered, again and again and again. Continuity has nothing to do with it. It's lack of talent and mental drive to win. The o gives up too easily.

Originally posted by Renegade7

2nd rate announcers have nothing to do with it. At some point you have to say to yourself "catch the ball" "don't flinch" "don't be stupid". That comes with wanting the win bad enough. It's all mental. Mean streak, whatever you want to call it, we don't have enough of it. Dockery's main issue coming out of college(why he wasn't picked until the 3rd round is because of his speed. And in that philly game he just got overpowered, again and again and again. Continuity has nothing to do with it. It's lack of talent and mental drive to win. The o gives up too easily.

continuity builds confidence (i.e. you're mean streak) continuty allows you to make plays because you understand what is going on, and not thinking...which turns into making plays, stop making penalties, complete 3rd downs etc...

whole sale changes you start all over again. Dockery is doing well, he has very good speed pulling. Just watch the games. He needs to improve on pass blocking. Run blocking has improved all season. he dropped in the draft because of a lack luster combine, people where afraid he didn't have the drive, and attitude to play.

Derrick Dockery

Ht./Wt.: 6-6/345

Position: G

Born: 9/7/80, Garland, TX.

High school: Lakeview Centennial (Lakeview, Texas).

College: Texas.

2004 scouting report

Has outstanding size, engulfing defenders at the point of attack. Has quickness for his size and rarely is beaten off the snap. Can maintain separation, using wide frame to force pass rushers outside. Has a great work ethic but lacks explosiveness. Could develop into an upper-echelon guard and win a starting job.

Career data

Transactions/career notes: Selected by Washington Redskins in third round (81st pick overall) of 2003 NFL draft. ... Signed by Redskins (July 28, 2003).

http://warroom.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams//redskins/roster.html#Offensivelinemen

2004 Scouting Report - Football Scouts Inc.

Name: Derrick Dockery

Position: Offensive Guard

Grade: 63 | Key

Alert: Y

Comment:

Dockery understandably experienced some growing pains during his rookie season but he showed significant progress over the course of last season and he appears to have a bright future. Possesses outstanding size, engulfs undersized defenders at the point of attack and wears defenders down at the point of attack. As a pass blocker, shows great initial quickness for size and rarely gets beaten off the snap. Has the upper body strength to maintain separation from defenders and uses wide frame to force pass rushers to take a wider angle to the quarterback. Dockery has great work ethic and he should only continue to get better with experience but he lacks ideal explosiveness and he is a better run blocker than he is a pass blocker at this point. Dockery has the combination of size and athletic ability to develop into an upper echelon guard and he will be given an opportunity to win the starting job opposite Randy Thomas. However, he would benefit from providing depth for a year, as he must improve his footwork and his ability to reach blocks at the second level.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/players/scouting?statsId=6417

Archived