Extremeskins

Gibbs gives Ramsey 7 Games

Taylor 36

I'm sorry if this was already posted.

Gibbs gives Ramsey 7-game audition

Quarterback Brunell demoted after 1-for-8 debacle

The Associated Press

Updated: 5:06 p.m. ET Nov. 17, 2004

ASHBURN, Va. - The fans’ constant chants for Patrick Ramsey were a source of locker room humor among the Washington Redskins over the last few weeks, including one running gag involving Ramsey’s wife.

“We’ve been teasing him,” tackle Jon Jansen said. “We kept telling him that Ginny was standing there with a sign: ’Put Patrick In.’ “

The truth is Ramsey was more embarrassed than encouraged by the fuss. When he was finally chosen the starting quarterback this week, he offered a tactful admonition to those who orchestrated the calls of “Ram-sey!” when they weren’t booing Mark Brunell.

“I think we have great fans and they desire for us to be successful,” Ramsey said. “I think if they realized how much of a detriment it is to our team, I don’t think they would do it, if they really understood the morale that it kind of set for our offense. I think Mark handled it admirably. I’m going to try to battle through everything, but subconsciously, I think it would affect me.”

So goes Washington’s velvet quarterback revolution. The rest of the football world sees a coach making a long overdue move to try to revive an awful offense, while the principals involved see it as an awkward exchange of roles between nice-guy hunting buddies.

“If they didn’t like each other, it would be easier for them,” Jansen said. “But when there’s a professional relationship and a personal relationship, it’s hard for both of them.”

Touchy-feely stories aside, coach Joe Gibbs’ switch has serious implications. The Redskins are 3-6 with the toughest part of their schedule to come. It’s time to start thinking about next year, and these last seven games are probably Ramsey’s last chance to earn Gibbs’ trust.

“I really feel like it’s more of an audition to help lead this football team, more so than anything for my future,” Ramsey said.

Ramsey has had a tough year. He was undermined by Gibbs’ decision to trade for Brunell and had his agent ask for a trade. The request was rescinded when Gibbs promised Ramsey a fair shot at the starting job at training camp, but Ramsey failed to take advantage with poor performances in the exhibition games. He had no one to blame but himself.

“I didn’t play well enough in the preseason to warrant a start — or that much playing time early,” Ramsey said. “I was very disappointed with the way I played in the preseason. It was tough, but at the same time I knew I deserved not to be in the game.”

Ramsey’s struggles stemmed in part from his 16 starts in two seasons under coach Steve Spurrier, who demanded from his quarterback a philosophy and mechanics unique in the NFL. The change to Gibbs’ conservative style was as radical as could be, forcing Ramsey to throttle the urge to “make every single throw 20 yards.”

“Applying it on the field was more difficult for me because there were some adjustments, things I was really focusing on, and I wasn’t playing the game,” Ramsey said. “I was focusing on a lot of mental things and thinking at the line of scrimmage, whereas I don’t think you can do that and play the game successfully.”

Ramsey has been erratic in two relief appearances this season, but both times he was trying to overcome huge deficits without the benefit of a week of practice with the first team. This Sunday at Philadelphia, he gets a shot with the score tied 0-0, albeit for a team that hasn’t scored more than 18 points in a game all season.

“I wouldn’t say it was on my shoulders,” Ramsey said. “I do look forward to trying to complete balls and moving the ball, but it’s not going to be a ’Plug Patrick in’ and the passing game’s going to work.”

If Ramsey doesn’t succeed, Gibbs will be backed into a corner in the offseason with the most important position on the team. It’s hard to imagine Brunell, 34, returning, but truncating his huge contract would cause a major drain on the salary cap. If the Redskins cut Brunell and then have to spend big bucks for a new quarterback — say, if San Diego’s Drew Brees is available — the money well will quickly run dry.

At least Ramsey won’t be under the pressure of a quick hook. Gibbs showed remarkable patience with Brunell, and it would be a surprise if Ramsey is not allowed to finish the season.

“Hopefully there won’t be reason for patience,” Ramsey said. “Hopefully I can go in there and play well.”

© 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6496913/

If the Redskins let Ramsey go in the offseason via trade, he will probably end up in Green Bay or San Francisco and be a playoff quarterback for the next 10 years :(

That's the recent history of the Skins. Let guys go, watch them be productive elsewhere and then have the players you replace them with struggle to live up to their contracts.

Not pretty is it?

Not a bad way of making my first post in a few months. I was telling a friend of mine, who is a 49ers fan, now that Ramsey is the starter, Washington will not only beat the Eagles, but it will be the Redskins first 20 point game of the season. I predict, 21-17. The defense will keep us in it, and Portis will treat the Eagles worse than the Steelers did.

Originally posted by Symbol

Not a bad way of making my first post in a few months. I was telling a friend of mine, who is a 49ers fan, now that Ramsey is the starter, Washington will not only beat the Eagles, but it will be the Redskins first 20 point game of the season. I predict, 21-17. The defense will keep us in it, and Portis will treat the Eagles worse than the Steelers did.

I pray you're right.

Originally posted by bulldog

If the Redskins let Ramsey go in the offseason via trade, he will probably end up in Green Bay or San Francisco and be a playoff quarterback for the next 10 years :(

That's the recent history of the Skins. Let guys go, watch them be productive elsewhere and then have the players you replace them with struggle to live up to their contracts.

Not pretty is it?

Gibbs just said this week that Patrick will be around for years to come.

I believe him.

And speaking of Green Bay, They are gonna be seriously F**ked when Brett Favre decides to hang it up. They will join the ranks of the basement teams of the NFL, IMO.

Originally posted by bulldog

Not pretty is it?

I agree with this I hope the skins give Ramsey this year and next, I would hate for him to look average these last 7 games, get shipped off and then be another Drew Brees next year. Think the Chargers are wishing they would've given him his 4th year to prove himself before giving up on him, How much would they have loved to have traded down for what they got and drafted Taylor or Roy Williams at #4.

The problem and question we need to address though is: Has Ramsey been allowed to be a young, inexperienced QB yet? I mean I remember last season, half this board was ready to rip his head off for making dumb, young QB mistakes, even though Ramsey was technically only starting his 5th - 15th games of his career. I think people need to go back and watch Peyton Manning, Donovan McNabb and Brett Favre's first year or two, and see that they looked like embarrasing young QBs at the time as well. It just seems no one is willing to sacrifice enough time for a young QB to develop. Big Ben in Pittsburgh is the rare occurance, and the jury is still out to whether he might beging to faulter somewhere along the line as well, not to mention his steal curtain offensive line, and superior WR core that is helping him along the way. All I am saying is that, Ramsey needs the the game experience, now that his foot does not have bone chips in it, to be able to make some mistakes without the threat of being pulled out and benched. I don't think Peyton Manning ever had to worry about being benched even though he threw a rookie record for INTs that year. No one wants to acknowledge just how lost and ridiculous he looked his rookie year, because of how good he is NOW, but those rookie bumblings is what it is all about.

Archived