Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lavar out doesn't hurt us all that much...

RedskinLifer

I'm sure you opened this thread to vehemently disagree, but let me state my case before you cast stones.

Lavar, in all the time he's been here, hasn't really made the number of big plays that you would think given his reputation. Honestly, the last one I remember is the interception in the Panthers game during the Shottenheimer year.

He is very good at clapping over the recently tackled ball carrier with a "man, almost had that one," look about him. He is one who makes the Pro-Bowl because if you don't watch all the games, you just rely on his reputation to be your guide, and assume he must be great.

He speaks of wanting to play like L.T., but since he's been out, we haven't seen an appreciable drop in OLB play with L.M., Lemar Marshall.

I'm not saying to cut him or anything, just that his absence isn't devastating to our chances. Our defense is ranked #1 in the league, so clearly, we've coped well enough.

Hey I'd agree with you if we were playing a bad team, but this is the Packers. So far we were able to get by against the Bears and Ravens. Their offenses aren't exactly world beaters. We are going to need every help we can against Favre. Sean Taylor and Lavar are top playmakers on defense. They will be missed, and its gonna hurt the skins chances. I have no doubt that Lemar and Clark will step up but they won't be Taylor and Arrington.

Lavar is a playmaker who makes very few big plays. If we go down this weekend, I don't think it will be because Lavar didn't play.

The only thing I think he gives us every time out is that other offenses - if for no other reason but for his potential - have to gameplan for him. That we miss, but his play can be reproduced.

Taylor, now, is a separate issue. He really let the team down, and I can't say that any more clearly. That is the long and short of it.

Originally posted by bwall-2

I agree with everything this post said.Arrington is more of a celebrity than a great football player.He gets all this praise from people who doesn't see every game like we do.Kind of like Champ Bailey.

We put. Celebrity is a great description of what I intended to say. The comparison with Bailey was right on too.

lavar definitely is great in coverage and makes more plays than the stat book shows, but one of the reasons our defense has been noticably better this year could be because lavar has not been in there to over pursue like he used to. granted williams was turning him loose more so it didn't really matter, but marshall has been doing a good job of playing to the system and being where he is supposed to be.

Originally posted by RedskinLifer

Nor in the first when Lewis got next to nothing. Lewis gets good yardage against quite a few teams.

Easier to adjust to an inexperienced LBer(and no Philip Daniels) in the second half of games.

Hey, BTW, should the Eagles want AJ Feeley back because he did just as well at QB when McNabb was out?

Genius.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

Easier to adjust to an inexperienced LBer(and no Philip Daniels) in the second half of games.

Hey, BTW, should the Eagles want AJ Feeley back because he did just as well at QB when McNabb was out?

Genius.

As a backup they might. Also, if Marshall's inexperience were that detrimental to the run defense, then we wouldn't be ranked where we are now.

When/if Lavar starts to play up to his reputation, I'll gladly admit that I'm wrong. Untili then, well, I'm not.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

Yeah we didn't miss him at all when Jamal Lewis was running on the left side all second half.

That had more to do with Salavea getting urt the 2nd half than w/ Lavar's absence.

Actually, this is the one game where Lavar will be missed, if only for his pass rushing skills. We can't afford to safety blitz, and we need to pressure Favre to win.

IMHO, one of the biggest reasons we've been stuck in mediocrity since Y2K was our draft that year. Way way too much of our cap goes to 2 of the most overrated players in the game - Lavar and Samuels - while everyone else from that draft was a complete bust.

We need a real GM. That's become PAINFULLY apparent this year, although I will give the FO top credit for signing up Springs and Griffin.

lavar's presence itself is an advantage for our defense, at the same time, it doesn't look as though our defense dropped off; j. lewis gets better with carries and he tend to have good games against everyone; true we haven't played any good offense so far, but even if packers do well doesn't mean that it's because lavar didn't play; to me he is one of the most overrated defensive players in the league since he doesn't tackle well and overpursue too often.

He hasn't always made the sensational plays of which he's capable, but that's because teams do all they can to neutralize him. The attention he draws from opposing offenses provides the other defensive players more opportunities to make plays. As Ghost pointed out, it's rare that teams attack the weak side when he's healthy. And when he does make tackles, more often than not he's fought through a double team, or scraped across the width of the field, to get there.

Just because he's not performing the LaVar Leap three times a game doesn't mean he's not making a great impact on the course of the game.

This thread is lame.... If anyone had their choice of LeMar Marshall and LaVar Arrington I don't think anyone would even think twice and say Arrington. The guy is a disruptive force when he's in the game and the other team has to scheme for him when he's on the field. Do you think teams are scheming for LeMar Marshall??? :rolleyes: Please!

When you have opponents worried about where you're on the field that should say enough about his talent as a OLB.

I do think he's overhyped, but it's absurd to think we don't miss him.

Originally posted by SlobberKnockinFootball

This thread is lame.... If anyone had their choice of LeMar Marshall and LaVar Arrington I don't think anyone would even think twice and say Arrington. The guy is a disruptive force when he's in the game and the other team has to scheme for him when he's on the field. Do you think teams are scheming for LeMar Marshall??? :rolleyes: Please!

When you have opponents worried about where you're on the field that should say enough about his talent as a OLB.

I do think he's overhyped, but it's absurd to think we don't miss him.

And if you read all of the "lame" thread, you'd see that nowhere did anybody say that they would rather have Lemar over Lavar.

He should be a disruptive force all the time, and not just sometimes. My point was that he's overrated, and that the defense hasn't suffered in his absence.

Lavar will be missed period. Lavar has over pursued and even been out of position in the past but he's done more good than bad. I don't think an offensive coordinator game plans and don't take into account his ability. I really would like to see a healthy Lavar play full time on the weakside where his speed and ability are probably better suited. Lavar as well as the whole defense hasn't had the luxury of being in the same defensive philosophy year in and year out. Despite this with the exception of last yr., they've been a top def. But bascially he can only do what the coordinator calls for him to do. Playing over the TE for instance isn't gonna make Sport center in general. Line Backers making sacks does make high light reels. If memory serves me corect I rememebr Wilbur Marshall pointing out that he was doing what was asked of him. He had like five INT and five sacks along with over 100 tackles, yet LB's with like 80 tackles and 10 sacks went to the pro bowl ahead of him. Wilbur made the point that if you let him bascially come after the QB everytime, he could easily have 12 sacks but does that make you a complete LB? Don't get me wrong I'd rather have someone of Arrington's abilty pressuring the QB but Lavar can do it all. Anytime he misses a game whether the defense plays well or not, I'm thinking Lavar probably coulda made a difference on that play. I made a bet with a Raven fan that whenever Lavar switched to the weakside, he'd be a beast. Thats barring injury of course.

You are so wrong on so many levels that I am at a loss for words.

While I agree that our defense has stepped up without him and manages to perform great without him, he adds an element to our defense when he is on the field. He gives other guys, like Bowne in the TB game chances to make huge plays because offenses keep an eye on him at all times. I don't think Arrington is overrated in the least. He may be celebrity status but when he is on the field he is a beast, one of the best linebackers in the game.

Part of being one of the best means you come under a certain amount on scrutiny, hence this rediculous thread. Everybody gets beat on plays, even Ray Lewis. I saw the Balt/KC game and he got ran out of almost every running play. This happens to Lavar in many cases but that is because teams design ENTIRE plays in order to keep guys like Ray, Lavar and Derrick Brooks away from the ball.

Lavar is a gamebreaker, period. I can understand why you might think our defense if just fine without him because we have performed well in his absense, but I disagree that we are "fine" without him.

I agree that he'd be a beast when he switched to weakside and that was one of the many factors that I was excited about. THis being his 5th season I could see him excelling every week and becoming very dominant just like he was at Penn State unfortunately the football Gods still hate us and of course Lavar has to be injured.

Originally posted by illone

You are so wrong on so many levels that I am at a loss for words.

While I agree that our defense has stepped up without him and manages to perform great without him, he adds an element to our defense when he is on the field. He gives other guys, like Bowne in the TB game chances to make huge plays because offenses keep an eye on him at all times. I don't think Arrington is overrated in the least. He may be celebrity status but when he is on the field he is a beast, one of the best linebackers in the game.

Part of being one of the best means you come under a certain amount on scrutiny, hence this rediculous thread. Everybody gets beat on plays, even Ray Lewis. I saw the Balt/KC game and he got ran out of almost every running play. This happens to Lavar in many cases but that is because teams design ENTIRE plays in order to keep guys like Ray, Lavar and Derrick Brooks away from the ball.

Lavar is a gamebreaker, period. I can understand why you might think our defense if just fine without him because we have performed well in his absense, but I disagree that we are "fine" without him.

We HAVE been fine without him. Again, I'm not saying that he's terrible, just that he's overrated. I'm stunned that you can't see that he's overrated also.

He is one of the better linebackers in the league. I don't buy the line of argument that he has allowed everyone else to make plays. If anyone made it possible for Bowen to sack Johnson twice, it would be the corners who covered well enough to give Bowen time to make the play.

My point, again, is that for all the hype Lavar receives, one would expect a congruent amount of depreciation in the play of the defense in his absence. We've not seen that.

Arrington will be missed greatly in this game because the Packers have a good line and will give Favre time to throw. Without #56 and without Daniels the Skins DBs are going to be as pressed as they have been all season to keep things in front of them.

if anyone thinks that starting Lemar Marshall instead of Arrington means we don't lose much, they should stand in front of the mirror with a shoe and hit themselves on the head a few times :)

Archived