Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lavar out doesn't hurt us all that much...

RedskinLifer

Originally posted by RedskinLifer

My point, again, is that for all the hype Lavar receives, one would expect a congruent amount of depreciation in the play of the defense in his absence. We've not seen that.

Just because he receives hype that shouldn't mean our defense will perform worse without him. Your point lacks thought in the sense that you give no credit to Williams or the other guys for stepping up. It's not that Lavar is overrated, its that our scheme is solid and we have guys stepping up to make plays, not to mention we have played some bottom feeder offenses since he has been gone.

Originally posted by DCMONEY

Lavar will be missed period. Lavar has over pursued and even been out of position in the past but he's done more good than bad. I don't think an offensive coordinator game plans and don't take into account his ability. I really would like to see a healthy Lavar play full time on the weakside where his speed and ability are probably better suited. Lavar as well as the whole defense hasn't had the luxury of being in the same defensive philosophy year in and year out. Despite this with the exception of last yr., they've been a top def. But bascially he can only do what the coordinator calls for him to do. Playing over the TE for instance isn't gonna make Sport center in general. Line Backers making sacks does make high light reels. If memory serves me corect I rememebr Wilbur Marshall pointing out that he was doing what was asked of him. He had like five INT and five sacks along with over 100 tackles, yet LB's with like 80 tackles and 10 sacks went to the pro bowl ahead of him. Wilbur made the point that if you let him bascially come after the QB everytime, he could easily have 12 sacks but does that make you a complete LB? Don't get me wrong I'd rather have someone of Arrington's abilty pressuring the QB but Lavar can do it all. Anytime he misses a game whether the defense plays well or not, I'm thinking Lavar probably coulda made a difference on that play. I made a bet with a Raven fan that whenever Lavar switched to the weakside, he'd be a beast. Thats barring injury of course.

What yr did Arrington do all this and not go to the pro bowl? I remember last yr he had 0 Int's and was ranked 52nd amung LB's in tackles and somehow got in. I dont even wanna go into the personal fouls. I do believe Arrington is overrated. Everyweek i hear the guy talking HUGE game. He never backs it up. He will talk trash and not even play. (the other week he talks about how he is going to "tear this league up") How is he going to do this when he isnt playing? I think he is just a highlight player that is only trying to make the big play. This is why he is often out of position or over running plays. Yes, you can make the claim that offenses avoid him. Offenses avoid all LB's. Good linebackers still make the plays despite this. Ill take at least 15 LB's before i take Arringtion. T. spikes, M Washington, R Lewis, J. Sharper, J. Seau, T bruschi, D Brooks, Z Thomas. These guys make plays, Arrington does not.

what I think you will see is the defense wear down as the season progresses with regular starters remaining out. also, you will see offensive coordinators begin to zero in on Lemar Marshall and Ryan Clark, etc. and start to really exploit their inexperience and flaws that show up on film.

remember these players are new and have only been on the field for a few weeks.

we face some good offenses the back end of the schedule and I think we will be hard pressed to continue to put up these types of numbers defensively without getting some players back.

Originally posted by bulldog

what I think you will see is the defense wear down as the season progresses with regular starters remaining out. also, you will see offensive coordinators begin to zero in on Lemar Marshall and Ryan Clark, etc. and start to really exploit their inexperience and flaws that show up on film.

remember these players are new and have only been on the field for a few weeks.

we face some good offenses the back end of the schedule and I think we will be hard pressed to continue to put up these types of numbers defensively without getting some players back.

I think this will happen as well.

But I do think our system plays to these players strengths and hides their weaknesses. I think thats why nobody has really gotten to these guys yet, b/c the system does a good job of hiding the weaknesses of the players. Like Matt Bowen when he was healthy, he isnt good in coverage so we blitzed him a lot. It seemed like he had turned around a corner and all the sudden gotten good but really we just had him playing to his strengths.

I agree that Williams' ability to put players in a position to be successful based on their strengths and weaknesses is the saving grace for the team to this point of the season.

Gibbs, Bugel and the offensive staff have done a poor job of matching scheme to talent and have been slow to adapt. We are now seeing runs designed for Portis and cut-blocking at the line to facilitate it.

It took 5 preseason games and 6 regular season games to figure out that Portis runs well when allowed to get the ball to the edge of the defense and then cut back?

Geez, I would have thought that was the FIRST thing you would see when breaking down film of his first 2 years in the NFL.

I hate to say it, but I contend to agree with REDSKINLIFER on this one. Lavar was all world coming out of Penn St and is still relying on his reputation from his college days. I am sorry, but he has yet to impress me as a pro. My opinion is that these nagging injuries have taken some of the intensity and fight out of him and does not allow him to go full speed and he has become very tenative. By this time is his career he should be at his peak and feared as much or more than Lewis.

Originally posted by illone

Just because he receives hype that shouldn't mean our defense will perform worse without him. Your point lacks thought in the sense that you give no credit to Williams or the other guys for stepping up. It's not that Lavar is overrated, its that our scheme is solid and we have guys stepping up to make plays, not to mention we have played some bottom feeder offenses since he has been gone.

If you just read the last post, then you might think that. However, I said that Marshall had stepped up in his place, and that was one reason why we didn't miss him all that much. If you're going to scrutinize my point, you should see what it is first.

You are right, though, we have played some lesser offenses. However, there is something to be said for shutting down the teams that you're suppose to shut down, which we've done.

This is a team full of guys who have stepped up and performed admirably. Like I said in my column, who knew who Ryan Clark was in June? Or Demetric Evans? Lemar Marshall is another of those guys.

I said that Lavar was overrated and that we haven't missed him, especially to the degree that those unfamiliar with the team think we have. Ask yourself this: How much better off would we have been the past few games if he had played? And, how has Lemar Marshall's skill deficit as compared to Lavar's contributed to that?

No one said they'd rather have Lemar, nor did they say that Lemar was better. What was said was that Lavar has not played up to his hype, and that we haven't noticed an appreciable decline in production at that position in his absence.

Originally posted by 9_to_42_td

I hate to say it, but I contend to agree with REDSKINLIFER on this one. Lavar was all world coming out of Penn St and is still relying on his reputation from his college days. I am sorry, but he has yet to impress me as a pro. My opinion is that these nagging injuries have taken some of the intensity and fight out of him and does not allow him to go full speed and he has become very tenative. By this time is his career he should be at his peak and feared as much or more than Lewis.

Why would you hate to say it? :laugh:

Originally posted by 9_to_42_td

Because I am from PA and Lavar was the king for several years in this area. When he was drafted by the Redskins, I had huge expectations which never panned out.

He's been good, and hopefully he'll be even better down the road. It isn't like he's been Brian Bosworth or anything. I'm rooting for him to destroy my opinion.

Archived