Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Iron Maiden!!!

Mr. S

Originally posted by BDBuddy23

Yea, Metallica sold out.....

The MCI CENTER, Sunday night!

taken directly from jason newsted, he said the same thing a few years ago. If you truly believe they didn't "sell out", then you must not have listened to their first 3 albums, cause they DID sell out!!!

and as far as maiden goes, well, there aren't many bands who have endured the length and success they have. I started listening to maiden when i was like 14, along with venom and possessed, and they truly were gods. My personal fav is somewhere in time (song), and album has to be piece of mind.

I had a chance to see them in '87, (the glory years), had tickets and everything, but the arena couldn't hold that many people and that amount of equipment, so they had to cancel, and never got another chance to see them!!!!!

Originally posted by In Flames

To BDBuddy 23.

I have 2 questions for ya, without looking the answers up online.

1. Who was the original bassist for metallica?

2. (kind of easy) Who was the first lead guitarist for metallica?

Oh, come on. Ask some HARD questions, why dontcha? As though anyone could forget (1) who played "Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)" or (2) who came up with the riff for "The Four Horsemen."

I've loved Maiden since the early 80's when I first heard Killers. The first time I saw them was around 1986, during the Powerslave tour, and I have seen them a few times since then.

The thing that struck me, when I first listened to them, was the articulate nature of the music and the lyrics. Since I was a history buff, I was amazed by the nature of the songs - I mean, really, how many folks are going to write a song about the Battle of Britain or Alexander the Great? And their harmonized guitars just blew me away - to this day, I still haven't heard many musical groups that can harmonize on their level. And since I was a drummer, the drummers, in particular Nicko McBrain, have proved to be an influence. (I used to stare, with amazement, at the pictures of his kit.)

Great, great stuff...

And was I the only one that really wanted Bruce Dickinson to kick David Lee Roth's arse when the latter had the nerve to challenge Bruce to a duel? Heh.

Even after the various twists in my musical journeys, I still love Maiden. In fact, I saw them earlier this summer (or was it last summer? Agh, time flies!) when they were touring their most recent album. They STILL sounded fantastic - the thing that amazed me the most is that, compared to other heavy acts I have seen, was that their sound output really wasn't that loud. But this adds to their music, and their musical interplay was very nuanced and tasteful. I think that a lot of the musical depth would have been lost if the music had been a lot louder.

They were always the ones that showed the musicality in metal.

BTW, if you want to hear a band that definitely has Maiden influences, check out Mastodon. They are VERY heavy, but also have a knack for dropping nice guitar parts into their music.

About my favorite Maiden songs....sheesh, there are so many. I probably went through a phase with each album and song being a favorite at one time or another...Phantom of the Opera...Killers...Number of the Beast...Revelations...Power Slave...Wasted Years.

Too many to list!

Up the Irons!

Iron Maiden

To think that Dave Mustaine made Megadeth into a decent metal band. Amazing.

I still have dreams of Cliff's bass riffs. Back when I picked up my first Fender Strat (made in Mexico, whoops!), and after Ancal gave me my first lesson, I tried to play it like a bass. Boy was I silly.

Metallica rules.

Sorry. Iron Maiden's pretty great too.

But in my opinion, they're no Metallica. Kill 'em All through the Black album will put Metallica in all of the annals of lore. And frankly, I love Garage, Inc. as well. Metallica can cover with the best of them. Load and Reload are... well... loads of ****.

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

Oh, come on. Ask some HARD questions, why dontcha? As though anyone could forget (1) who played "Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)" or (2) who came up with the riff for "The Four Horsemen."

Actually, I believe Ron McGovney was the original bass player for Metallica. Cliff was recruited from another bay area band, much like Kirk and Exodus.

But back to topic:

Iron Maiden are pretty much gods. They're not a personal favorite of mine, but their legacy is unquestionable. Brought the twin guitar harmonies to modern metal and basically spawned the whole European melodic death movement.

The "Wasted Years" riff is f*cking AWESOME.

ps - If you want to check out some other great bands take on Maiden classics, check out the Maiden Tribute compilation with bands like Naglfar, Arch Enemy, and Dark Tranquillity. It rules!

Yea, Metallica sold out.....

The MCI CENTER, Sunday night!

...and everything they have done since AJFA has still been a steaming, pile of cr@p. N'Sync sells out places too. Jayms and Lard must have run out of Dave Mustaine's and Cliff Burton's ideas... ;)

Nick

Originally posted by McMetal

Actually, I believe Ron McGovney was the original bass player for Metallica. Cliff was recruited from another bay area band, much like Kirk and Exodus.

Ron has been viewed as an 'origional' member of Metallica, although he pretty much just hung out with James. He went to high school with James @ Downey High School California. (He recently just sold his high school yearbook with a personal note from James on ebay)

As for "Pulling Teeth". That was Cliff Burton, who joined the band (previous band was called TRAUMA, I believe. He died in a bus crash on tour in 1986 between Sweeden and Copenhagen, Denmark.

Obviously, the first lead guitar was Dave Mustaine. He was booted for being an abusive alcoholic. Well, that is the long-standing reason from Lars, but it could have been for more personal reasons.

Got any more brain busters for me? :laugh:

Ron has been viewed as an 'origional' member of Metallica, although he pretty much just hung out with James. He went to high school with James @ Downey High School California. (He recently just sold his high school yearbook with a personal note from James on ebay)

As for "Pulling Teeth". That was Cliff Burton, who joined the band (previous band was called TRAUMA, I believe. He died in a bus crash on tour in 1986 between Sweeden and Copenhagen, Denmark.

Obviously, the first lead guitar was Dave Mustaine. He was booted for being an abusive alcoholic. Well, that is the long-standing reason from Lars, but it could have been for more personal reasons.

Trauma - Thank you!

I was really getting irritated that I couldn't remember that.

How about this one:

Can you name Dave Mustaine's first band, pre-Metallica?

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

I respect your knowledge of metal ancal, and that's why i didnt ask YOU the question. Im sure you know it, this was directed at someone who thinks metallica didn't sell out.

Ill give ya that one DBD, but knowing that, and knowing their first 3 albums, how could NOT think they sold out?

heh, i knew if i started a metal related thread, people like In Flames and Ancal would be out hardcore, as well as Code and a buncha known guitar players. I really didnt want this to be a Metallica bashing thread, just a Maiden praise thread. However, I am more than up for the argument that Metallica did sell out, honestly, I havent seen many people who loved Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, like Load/Reload and St. Anger. I think anyone who listens to songs from old to new Metallica can see the major difference in style.

I love Alexander The Great as well, such an awesome song, so is Flash of the Blade. The melodic intensity Maiden brings is just awesome.

I saw Bruce Dickenson at Hammerjacks in Baltimore when he went on the Tattooed Millionaire tour. That was one of the coolest shows I had ever been to because of how close I was and how laid back it was. It was not a huge crowd bunched up at the stage like most shows, people were sitting on bar stools, ect...I was pretty close and got to shake his hand. I remember lots of hot slutty chicks too....

I like Load just as much as MOP or RTL. I like St. Anger, but some of the sounds could have been trimmed down.

As for the whole notion of 'Selling out.' I mean, what the hell. Metallica was called sellouts when they (gasp) used an acoustic guitar on an intro in RTL, or becuase they did this or that...they cut their hair?!?...didn't you know that you can't play hard rock/metal w/o long hair?

I understand that there are people who grew up on Metallica, and don't like the direction they took. For those people, yo can always listen to KeA, RTL, MOP, AJFA...(They were all just re-released on vinyl with the ep, for those who collect vinyl).

Originally posted by Mr. S

heh, i knew if i started a metal related thread, people like In Flames and Ancal would be out hardcore, as well as Code and a buncha known guitar players. I really didnt want this to be a Metallica bashing thread, just a Maiden praise thread. However, I am more than up for the argument that Metallica did sell out, honestly, I havent seen many people who loved Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, like Load/Reload and St. Anger. I think anyone who listens to songs from old to new Metallica can see the major difference in style.

I love Alexander The Great as well, such an awesome song, so is Flash of the Blade. The melodic intensity Maiden brings is just awesome.

I am with you on the whole maiden thing, love'em, always have and always will, my thing with metallica is simple, how can you go from such heavy, fast music to just plain junk. I remember when i first got RTL, and hearing the beginning of "fight fire with fire" and thinking, jesus, what is this junk, and then BAM....they just start ripping into it, and with everything from black and beyond, it starts slow, and remains that way.

When did this become a Metallica thread? Heh. I also love that band, and they were probably a bit influenced by Maiden. I just don't care for their albums after the 80's since they lost that melodic intensity that caught my attention in their albums before their "new sound."

The closest I ever came to meeting any Maiden members was during a show on the "Somewhere in Time" tour. I was waiting behind the venue, by the band's tour bus, with a bunch of other fans. The band came from the backdoors, and I reached out and touched Steven Harris's jacket. Yeah, it seemed cool then, heh - those things are always more magnified when you're 17 years old or so!

I went to the Maiden site and watched some of the videos they have on the site: Really cool stuff.

Maiden was most definitely my favorite band as a teen in the 80's. Nobody could match their intricate sound. I don't know if anyone has mentioned my all time favorite, The Phantom of the Opera, from the first album with Hallowed Be Thy Name a close second. The stop and go and changes in their songs made them one of a kind. Didn't listen to too much after Somewhere in Time, however. It's one band I'd like to hear done in a symphony orchestra format as has been done for others.

As for Metallica, I was cerainly a big fan, but they never threatened Maiden's No. 1 ranking. I definitely agree that Kill Them All, Ride the Lightning, and Master of Puppets were their best work. Although, And Justice for All was very good as well but the changes were beginning to be noticable. I acutally caught Cliff Burton's towel at a show at Merriweather Post Pavilion. If I remember correctly, it was during the tour when Hetfield had a broken arm and one of the roadies had to play the guitar. Unfortunately, my mother didn't realize the importance of it, washed it, and I eventually lost track of it.

I actually mentioned The Phantom of the Opera as one of my favorite songs (if I could pick out a favorite Maiden song). The sound of that song, to me, represented Maiden - as manleyistheman mentioned, the intricate, nuanced nature of their music. Also, Hallowed Be Thy Name is also a great toon - I love the guitar riff in that song.

Oddly enough, I also didn't listen to Maiden too much after Somewhere in Time. That was the last album I had actually bought - I think one reason is that, after moving away to college, I just started listening to other music, and Maiden simply became less important in my listening. But, after all these years, I still find their music quite enjoyable. (Which I cannot say for all the music of my youth.)

I recently went and bought, on CD, Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets, which I always had on tape. I still consider those two as being some of the best back-to-back albums in the world of music.

yeh really, Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets are my 2 favorite albums by them. I havent listened to And Justice For All much, but I still have respect for it.

For Iron Maiden, I gotta say I really like Brave New World, mainly the title track and The Wickerman. Dance of Death is also really awesome, despite being soo recent. I just found Flight of Icarus, I had it before, but a while ago when I wasnt really into Maiden, and I couldnt find who did it at the time. I heard they are touring in 2005, I hope I can see them, cause I really want to now.

• 4 weeks later...

Did any of you Maiden fans know that they are about to release a series of DVD's that chronicle their career? Part 1-The Early Years I believe has already been released in Europe and is due to be released in the states in late December. Part 1 sounds like it covers them through Piece of Mind. Even better, sounds like they will tour to support each DVD and the shows will reflect those years. Meaning, the setlist would only include songs from those particular albums. A tour with music from Iron Maiden through Piece of Mind would be awesome!!!

Quit dowloading just individual songs, go buy the freakin cds. I'm partial to the earlier IM stuff. Piece of Mind, Powerslave, and Number of the Beast are probably my faves. Do yourself a favor and get all three. And like TK said earlier, the Live After Death video is a MUST HAVE. They are, in my opinion, the best at epic metal.

As far as Metallica selling out, being in a working band myself, I don't really believe that. I think its natural for a Band's sound to evolve, and I feel thats what they did. I will however say that I don't care for much after the black album, cause I just don't dig the direction they went in. And St Anger is the worst pile of monkey dung they've put out. The production on that release makes it freakin unlistenable.

Archived