Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Wilbon on crack?

mhd24

I certainly wouldn't say that Brunell "was amazing" in the fourth quarter. He looked like a pro and made plays like a pro in the fourth. But the rest of the game, especially the first half, he looked old and uncomfortable. The near interception that he threw in the first half had so much air under it, it could've been a punt. I think Wilbon is essentially correct.

Guest Gichin13

Hmm. First, I usually like Wilbon. Don't totally agree with this take on the game.

Second, great line -- he looks as done as Roy Jones Jr. Ouch. Especially after I saw the fight the other day.

Third, Brunnell looked pretty spent the first quarter and most of the second. Nice looking drive to end the half ... no points. Gotta put that on play calling and lack of O Line execution in short yardage. Second half, couple wasted drives -- Portis started to run the ball well, then we totally abandon the run for 3 incompletions and out. Finally, last 8 minutes of the game, Brunnell played fantastic.

Honestly, while the offense was sputtering, they looked better this game. This was not Gibbs best coaching performance ...

i havent read wilbon's piece yet, dont want to cloud my opinion.

after reading this thread all i gotta say is, coaching decisions not withstanding, brunell looked like exactly what he is, an older qb with a tired arm that is tentative with his passing decisions. his deep balls were way off the mark and he looked almost unwilling to fire one in short. he looked that way for the better part of three quarters. the 4th was different story, but, too little too late.

that guy is getting paid BIG bucks to lead this team from the qb position, and thus far he isnt doing it. gibbs and company, and the rest of the team as well, cannot afford to wait around for the geritol to take effect with him. he needs to play the first three quarters like he did the 4th. what will end up happening, if this pattern continues, will be a division within the team. the guys who played with ramsey the past two years, watching him get clobbered play after play and pull himself up off the mat, will start "wanting" him in there over brunell. theyll never admit it publically, but inside it will be there.

brunell didnt lose this game, nor did he lose the gnat game. but, he didnt "win" them either.

people can say what they will about learning curves in new systems, with new/old coaches, new players etc. some of that is valid however, one of the key reasons he was brought in was his veteran football knowledge that should significantly reduce/shorten that curve.

I called this. I stated that if DC lost the QB love affair was over. Welcome to Tuesday folks.

You guys can say all you want about uber Brunell but I have to disagree. Mark had one amazing play, the juke of the DL to buy time and then make the pass to RG in the end zone. Take that away and what you have is a QB throwing jump balls downfield that were mostly caught by RG while covered by a rookie.

Be honest with yourself and ask how many times will floating passes downfield work against experienced DBs?

He had great stats but at the end of the day Brunell's offense gave us another sub 20 point show. Thrid in a row.

Originally posted by SkinsFanMania

This is even more amazing since he started the game 2 - 11.

Which is why you are seeing articles commenting on Brunell today. He came alive last night near then end....but it was too little too late and his offense failed to score more then 20 points for the third straight week.

Archived