Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QUESTION: The Portis TD Run.

JJredskins00

http://extremeskins.com/CrazyZeb/Week1vsTB02_PortisTouchdown.avi

After watching this many times, I am trying to figure out if this was a called play, or a blown play that Portis turned into a TD. Collinsworth says "he was clearly supposed to run to the left." But I don't see it at all. Looks like it was some kind of Gibbs counter play. What do you guys think.

Video: Credit to CrazyZeb.

I've passionately studied Portis's TD run from the back angle since it clearly is the best veiw to see how the play was supposed to run.

In Gibbs classic 1st tenure for the skins, most of his run plays were designed to give his backs cutback options. Nowadays, with the Defensive side of the ball much quicker, Gibbs is trying to take the H-back position to the next level. On this play, if you clearly notice, once the ball is snapped, all linebook pull or block to the left. Look at the H-back in this play as he pulls to the left to neutralize the WLB. Portis had a little room to the left if he decided to go there, but what pulled all the linebackers out of position was that they saw all linemen pulling or blocking to the left.

What Portis's greatest assest I believe is his quick vision and bounceback ability. He noticed this too, and took off to the races knoqing he can outrun anyone in a teams secondary.

Classis Gibbs power run play where not only does the running back have

A: Solid Blocking by everyone (Notice WR Thrash)

B: Several cutback options

C: Defence is not in a optimal postion to defend from pre-read looks.

I love life with Gibbs on the sideline. We are all so lucky to have him back.

God Bless Him :notworthy :notworthy

Originally posted by BurgundyandGold_Soul

I've passionately studied Portis's TD run from the back angle since it clearly is the best veiw to see how the play was supposed to run.

In Gibbs classic 1st tenure for the skins, most of his run plays were designed to give his backs cutback options. Nowadays, with the Defensive side of the ball much quicker, Gibbs is trying to take the H-back position to the next level. On this play, if you clearly notice, once the ball is snapped, all linebook pull or block to the left. Look at the H-back in this play as he pulls to the left to neutralize the WLB. Portis had a little room to the left if he decided to go there, but what pulled all the linebackers out of position was that they saw all linemen pulling or blocking to the left.

What Portis's greatest assest I believe is his quick vision and bounceback ability. He noticed this too, and took off to the races knoqing he can outrun anyone in a teams secondary.

Classis Gibbs power run play where not only does the running back have

A: Solid Blocking by everyone (Notice WR Thrash)

B: Several cutback options

C: Defence is not in a optimal postion to defend from pre-read looks.

I love life with Gibbs on the sideline. We are all so lucky to have him back.

God Bless Him :notworthy :notworthy

Everyone keeps mentioning the block by Thrash, but nobody seems to have noticed the great job Jones did on sealing the overpersuing strongside LB'er on the play.

Originally posted by Ignatius J.

The thing about NFL running plays is that they are designed to leave cutback options for the RB. So it was planned for portis to go either left or right. HE chose the cutback.

Portis has excellent vision.

Couldn't say it better. :point2sky

Archived