Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Boswell:In First Quarter, A Perfect Storm

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A60514-2004Sep3.html

In First Quarter, A Perfect Storm

By Thomas Boswell

Saturday, September 4, 2004; Page D01

In an unexpected display of polished, destructive football, the reconstructed Redskins of Joe Gibbs unleashed an almost perfect quarter of football on the unprepared Atlanta Falcons at FedEx Field last night. One week after a dismal showing against St. Louis that disgusted Gibbs, the Redskins responded to his public displeasure by dismantling the Falcons.

After a fitful and ragged six weeks of preseason, last night's explosion against Atlanta represented much-needed and dramatic progress. And just in time, with the season opener nine days away. A week ago, the question at the edge of fretful fans' minds was, "Is this Return of the King stuff working?" Now, though this eruption came in a meaningless game, many a Redskins follower will think, "Yes, that's exactly what it used to look like."

"I was proud of our guys rebounding from a real poor performance last week . . . a dismal performance. . . . They are prideful, stepped up and played a good solid game," said Gibbs whose players must accustom themselves to hearing a 27-0 shutout described as merely "a good solid game." In days of yore, such scores were not uncommon, hard as it is to remember.

In fewer than 12 minutes, the Redskins built a 24-0 lead and out-gained the Falcons, 124 to 3, in the first quarter. With a 16-yard flanker reverse on the initial play from scrimmage -- the first Redskin trick play of the preseason -- Gibbs sent a signal that he wanted to see a serious season-worthy performance. And he got it.

Starting quarterback Mark Brunell completed four passes in the first scoring drive, then took the night off. Redskins runners rushed through gaping holes with Ladell Betts scoring twice on runs of five and three yards on which he was barely touched.

Most impressive was the way the Redskins blitzed Falcon quarterback Michael Vick so viciously and effectively that new Atlanta coach Jim Mora Jr., took him out after just three brief offensive series so that he would not face further bodily harm. Vick only lasted five snaps against Gregg Williams's attacking defense.

On the first play Williams sent a message of his own: a cornerback blitz. Vick tried to avoid a sack and threw a lame duck, up-for-grabs gift interception. On Vick's last play, LaVar Arrington delivered a body-slam sack that produced a fumble which Antonio Pierce returned 23 yards for a touchdown and a 24-0 lead. Less violent pile-driving hits have produced concussions.

In just five snaps, the Redskins had three clean knockout shots at Vick, two by Arrington at point-blank, full-speed range. Mora had seen enough. He yanked Vick as though waving a white flag.

What a difference a week makes, indeed. It's possible the Redskins actually listen when Gibbs speaks. Last Friday, you could have grilled steaks on the back of his neck. Though the Hall of Fame coach spoke slowly and softly, without outward anger, it was clear that whatever schedule Gibbs had in mind for rebuilding the Redskins, that timetable had been violently upset.

"They did a number on us tonight. . . . It starts with me. . . . All of us have to realize that if we don't play tough, bar none, smart Redskin football, this can happen to us," said Gibbs, dead serious, although the 28-7 loss to St. Louis was "only" a preseason game. For those who don't remember, that qualifies as a full-scale Joe tirade. He doesn't throw furniture. He just tells the truth. Then the players take it to heart. Or not. If they don't, Gibbs calmly gets new players, as feasible, until he finds his "true Redskins."

"They're smart. They saw it," said Gibbs after the victory last night. "They realized what they needed to do."

To the degree that any preseason game can have significance, this meeting with the Falcons, considered playoff contenders with a healthy Vick, was a litmus test of whether Gibbs's Redskins actually pay attention to him or are just paying lip service to the glories of the AARP coaching staff's past. They passed this test. The whole culture of the Redskins may actually be changing, though such processes are usually slow.

"This was by far the hardest preseason I have ever been through," said Laveranues Coles. "[Gibbs] is an old-school coach. He cuts no corners. He's going to get everything out of you that can be gotten out of you."

Now that the ordeal is past, almost all of it out of the sight of fans and media, the Redskins are ready to discuss what they've endured. "We became very accustomed to pads, to contact. To be great, you have to be physical," said safety Matt Bowen, who intercepted a Vick pass. "There were some days in practice it was pretty wild out there. Nobody saw it, but it was."

"We feel like the 'Junction Boys,' " said cornerback Fred Smoot, referring to the movie about Bear Bryant's early teams that survived legendary training ordeals. "There were days if somebody had gotten hurt, I would have taken 'em to hospital just to get myself some rest."

Of course last night's 27-0 statement shouldn't be mistaken for the deeds of the past, like that 35-0 second quarter against the Broncos in Super Bowl XXII. However, for a team whose play has ranged from credible to lackluster to lousy in its first four games, this was a huge improvement. In the Redskins' 24-0 first-quarter run, the Falcons committed five penalties, the Redskins none. Washington's special teams covered kicks well, while Chad Morton returned a punt 27 yards.

After the loss to the Rams, the Redskins' locker room still had some of the disquieting cavalier mood that marked the disappointing teams of recent years. Nothing dramatic, just a general lack of remorse at getting crunched, plus the occasional chuckle or joke. However, Gibbs had the team practicing in full pads the next day, then two days later, held practice at 8 a.m. Message delivered?

"The guys put the blame on themselves after last week," Bowen said. "It's not fair for us to play like that. I can't start to explain how hard our [old] coaches work. They'd be successful at anything. And they just won't accept failure. We had to show something on the field. For a meaningless preseason game, you can hang your hat on that one."

For a team that has consistently betrayed its talent in recent years and succumbed to pressure whenever any semblance of a big game arrived, any start constitutes a beginning. In the last two weeks, the Redskins have shown their worst and best. Which will more closely approximate the team that shows up for the regular season?

"I don't think you really know [where you stand] until the bullets start to fly," Gibbs said. "You're anxious, nervous. We open up with a real good team [Tampa Bay] that's just two years away from the Super Bowl.

"Every week will be pretty much a life and death struggle."

Whatever comes, it only seems fitting that the Redskins of the second Gibbs Era should at least begin their season with plausible hopes of a winning season and even a playoff berth. A week ago, that seemed like wishful thinking.

Now, while no certainly, such hopes seem far from fantasy.

Originally posted by TK-IV II I

Most impressive was the way the Redskins blitzed Falcon quarterback Michael Vick so viciously and effectively that new Atlanta coach Jim Mora Jr., took him out after just three brief offensive series so that he would not face further bodily harm. Vick only lasted five snaps against Gregg Williams's attacking defense.

Do I read that correctly, that "three series" = "five snaps"?

I really wish my Local Sports Bar had gotten the game.

Yes Larry, you read it correctly. That defense last night would have left your mouth agape and a tear in your eye. They look ready and Arrington just looks like he was taking all those years of dissapointment and lackluster seasons out on Vick. It was a thing of beauty, trust me.

"We feel like the 'Junction Boys,' " said cornerback Fred Smoot, referring to the movie about Bear Bryant's early teams that survived legendary training ordeals. "There were days if somebody had gotten hurt, I would have taken 'em to hospital just to get myself some rest."

I love Smoot! :cheers:

During the first quarter, I watched a thing of beauty unfold. I was quite frankly, stunned. Yes it was only a preseason game, but we as fans needed to see this before the regular season. The Skins were hitting on all cylinders. The defense made me want to hide behind my couch. I felt bad for Vick. Every time he snapped the ball he was in grave danger of being shoved in the ground like a fence post. On offense, the O line parted the D with relative ease making huge holes for the running game. They kept all our Qbs upright, without Jansen or Samuels. (Molinaro, a rookie, played left tackle the entire game)

Again, just a preseason game, but man it was nice to see the team, the ENTIRE team, clicking like that.

The defense made me want to hide behind my couch.

That's the funniest thing I've read on here in a while. Thanks Morning... where can I send the bill for the new keyboard to replace the coffee soaked one.

Yes.. the defense was downright scary last night. The rush defense was equally effective.

I will say this... on the double corner blitz by Smoot and Springs.... I believe Smoot has to execute that with more abandon. He seemed to be kind of hesitant in his blitz. Springs needs to wrap up better... because Vick shook him off like a bad cold and then threw an ill-advised floater that Bowens picked off.

Against Philly and McNabb, Donovan shucks Springs off and then kills us with a 25-yard scramble. You've got to plant that muther like a Miracle Grow JObe stick. .... ala Arrington's crunch of Vick that resulted in the fumble.

Anyone else think that the key to beating the Eagles is to not let McNabb to escape that pressure and make a big play out of nothing? Those plays over the last five years have been the ones that insures the Eagles a win. When you get to him... put him in the ground.

No problem. Glad to help start your day with a hearty java spew. Send the bill to T K IV II I, he's used to covering my behind.

And I agree with what you said about that same corner blitz against McNabb. I like Springs, but the likelyhood of him being able to bring down Donavan is kinda slim. Gotta put a linebacker on him.

Originally posted by Morning Wood

No problem. Glad to help start your day with a hearty java spew. Send the bill to T K IV II I, he's used to covering my behind.

I'll be more then happy to cover that with your checkbook.

:slap:

Archived